Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79241 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »
I finished the Demoncycle books and I am now reading The Darwin Elevator, but Jason M. Hough.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
I just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir, and it was amazing. Near-future hard sci-fi, reminiscent of Interstellar and Gravity, but more reality-based. I'm telling everyone I know that likes sci-fi at all to read it.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:42:53 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
My daughter just finished that book. I'll have to 'borrow' it from her... ;)

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir, and it was amazing. Near-future hard sci-fi, reminiscent of Interstellar and Gravity, but more reality-based. I'm telling everyone I know that likes sci-fi at all to read it.

I read this at the beginning of the year. It is amazing and definitely one of my favorite recent sci-fi novels. I recommended it to a ton of people, but I do warn them that the first part of the book is heavy on the science. That was one reason I loved it, but I know that's not for everyone.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
Hmm. It IS very science and math-heavy, but I felt like it really walked you through it in an entertaining way, so that if that's not your thing you could just sort of follow along and assume the math worked out. I LOVED the math and science, though, so mine is not an unbiased point of view.  :D

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
This book was fantastic!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Az_Rael

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »
Ooo, fun thread!  Fellow fantasy and scifi readers,yay!

I love Sanderson, have read all his stuff but the Wheel of time ending books. (I made it thru book 7 or so of the original series before I quit, and I just can't bring myself to slog through to get to the end.   Maybe someone will do a cliff notes version, IDK). I just finished Firefight and am really enjoying the post-apocalyptic super villain world he has created

I just started reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, which has lots of anti-heros.   The characters are crazy unlikeable, but I keep coming back for more books, so I guess that says something. 

I waffle back and forth between epic fantasy and hard scifi, and right now I am in my fantasy period, so no recent scifi stuff lately.   I have downloaded The Shell Collector by Hugh Howey and have that queued up to read.  Totally stoked he is going to be a guest at SDCC.  Hoping for some announcements related to the Wool series.

I do own a Kindle e-reader, and that thing has been a blessing and a curse.   I used to have to wait to go to the bookstore to buy the next book in a new to me series, now I just buy the next one right after finishing the first one.   So I totally binge read Netflix style.   BUT, I have found waaaaay better authors than I used to just perusing the Barnes and Noble shelves.   Amazons suggestion system is actually pretty good, and their free/low price sales they do for new authors are great.   I just signed up for Kindle Unlimited, but they need to expand the scifi/fantasy catalog more.   There is good stuff in there now (Wool is included), but I had already purchased a lot of it before joining the subscription. 

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
Just finished "Half the World" by Joe Abercrombie  , Az_Rael I think you'll love it. "Half a King" was the first in his new trilogy
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline Han Shot First

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
I have a couple of the old Star Trek novels published by Pocket Books back in the day. So far they seem pretty fun.

Offline Mike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire. I got the paperback as swag the last time GoT had their panel in Ballroom 20. Sadly I suck at finishing books these days so I decided to go the audiobook route. It makes me look forward to my commute. I'm hoping to catch up to the show by the time it starts again next month but doubt it's going to happen.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
A good, easy read, that turned into something that I couldn't put down, was Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  Being a child of the 80s, this book was faaaaaaaantastic.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »
Just finished "Half the World" by Joe Abercrombie  , Az_Rael I think you'll love it. "Half a King" was the first in his new trilogy

Oh I want to read half the world, i got half a king at comic con and enjoyed it, though i still have the other 3 books he wrote outside of the first law trilogy to read as well

since January I restarted the Drizzt series by RA Salvatore. He has 30 books in the series (not counting the cleric quintet which I am not re-reading). I've pretty much been on a rampage these two months and have gone through about 19 of the books but his newest one released last Tuesday so I am waiting to read that one until I 'catch up'
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
Y'all are making me feel illiterate...   :-\

Offline SyndE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:32 AM »
This morning, during what has become regular insomnia, I finished OVER EASY by Mimi Pond, a graphic memoir about working as a waitress in a funky dive diner in Oakland CA during the 1970s. It was fantastic. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:05:47 AM by SyndE »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 06:04:11 AM »
I just finished Darwin Elevator by Jason Hough. I really enjoyed it, so today I start the sequel...