Author Topic: 2019 Hall H line buddies  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: 2019 Hall H line buddies
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »
Just to be clear, THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL LINE GROUPS ON FoCC. If you wish to form line groups and discuss such matters, you should take it off board to a private chat server. Discussion of how much time to line up, when to line up, etc. are not the kinds of things you want discussed in the open, because for every time/amount of time that someone puts down, another group will try to one-up them.

Everyone is certainly free to make connections here on FoCC, but any line specifics should be done off of this site.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
Not looking for forming a group or what time to line up.
Just wondering of people who have been in groups before.....how much time did you actually spend in line.
Like 1 hour shifts on and off or 4 hour blocks. Or what has worked for other peoples groups in the past.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:54:08 PM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »
That’s the type of discussion your group should take to PM.  It gets specific. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »
That’s the type of discussion your group should take to PM.  It gets specific. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again don't have a group yet....but trying to figure out what has worked well for others in the past.
Not looking for specific times to line up just something like:
"Hey my group has 4 hour blocks and each person has to be in at least 1 day time block" or "last year we tried doing 6 hour blocks but that was too long and I would recommend something shorter".

I get that some of you don't want to share your top secret info on how you do your groups....but maybe leave this open so others can share what has or hasn't worked in the past.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
I mean, I'm just trying to warn people that talking about that stuff openly causes a cascading effect.  It's not just my group, but all groups. 

Perhaps you and some of the others here can form a group and then discuss the specifics like that together.

Please don't get upset at people who are just trying to help you and others keep Hall H line from getting out of hand.  We are trying to keep the whole absurd situation manageable by not posting a standard publicly that people will then try to out do, thus causing the line to grow longer.

As TJ said:

Discussion of how much time to line up, when to line up, etc. are not the kinds of things you want discussed in the open, because for every time/amount of time that someone puts down, another group will try to one-up them.

How much time to put in is part of it.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm following the guidelines and not discussing when to line up.
I'M NOT ASKING WHEN TO GET IN LINE!
I get it you don't want to post when you get in line or when others get in line.
Please stop cutting and pasting that you don't want people to post that info when that is not at all what I am asking.
If you don't want to reply to what I asked ok,....but maybe someone else will.

So again, any type of shifts that have worked for people before?
Or has anyone used like a sign in/out sheet for groups that didn't know each other as well?
Basically what is things you have done in line groups in the past that you wouldn't recommend?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
I'm following the guidelines and not discussing when to line up.
I'M NOT ASKING WHEN TO GET IN LINE!
I get it you don't want to post when you get in line or when others get in line.
Please stop cutting and pasting that you don't want people to post that info when that is not at all what I am asking.
If you don't want to reply to what I asked ok,....but maybe someone else will.

Or has anyone used like a sign in/out sheet for groups that didn't know each other as well?
Basically what is things you have done in line groups in the past that you wouldn't recommend?

I don't know how to tell you this in a more clear manner because it feels like you are intentionally misreading what we're telling you.  TJ has told you we don't discuss the amount of time we wait in line ("shift work"). I have told you this.  We have all told you that we don't discuss these types of things here and there's a good reason for it.  But you keep coming back and in all caps shouting "I'M NOT ASKING ABOUT LINE UP TIME" which we are all perfectly aware is not at all what you're discussing.  If a moderator steps in would you understand then?  I can ping one if you'd like.  I'm just not sure if that would help at all.

Because here's the thing:
Which TJ specifically said:
Discussion of how much time to line up, when to line up, etc. are not the kinds of things you want discussed in the open, because for every time/amount of time that someone puts down, another group will try to one-up them.

You are asking how long shifts are, which is exactly what TJ and myself and many others have advised against.  Please do not discuss that publicly.  Please.

However,

These are more reasonable questions.  Yes, people have used sign in sheets with people they don't know well.  We even brought a clipboard before to keep track.  I've used Google spreadsheets to keep track.

Honestly depends on your group. I’ve had a small group where I committed over [EXCACT TIME] (sacrificing voluntarily for others to be able to do more) and a group where I only had to do a few hours. It all really depends on who and how many in your group. Some of these groups are out of control though. I’ve hated lining up at a certain time and only had about 100 people in front of me only to see it expand to 800-1200 by wristband time

Posting that exact time is going to cause a cascading effect.  Please don't do this guys.  Please.  This is going to make the line insane.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
Yes if a mod would like to tell me what I am saying is out of line they are welcome to contact me.  I'm in no way asking for amounts of time in line ....but please feel free to message me directly with any other questions or thoughts instead of derailing this more.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 01:05:23 PM »
Don't see that happening.  And from what I understand their onpeak hotel contract is made years in advance and they can't just pull rooms at the last minute.
But enough conspiracies for this thread....back on topic.
If there is Star Wars panel and I wanted to get in on a line buddy group....what type of number of hours would I be looking at needing to invest?

If you start a Hall H line for Star Wars, PM me.  I would be interested in joining your group.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 01:21:54 PM »
I can tell you managing a line group, especially with strangers is very difficult.  Like angel stated Google sheets seems to be the easiest and best way to track across a group and get input/comments from everyone.  Hardest part will be getting people to commit and show up for the the hard to cover times during the middle of the day.  Also really need to ensure you adhere to CCI's 1 : 5 rule for holding spots so you don't have issues with the groups around you.  I personally don't think its fair to lock shifts across your group into the same amount of hours for every shift.  To me 10 - 11 AM is WAY more valuable than 10 - 11 PM so shouldn't be counted as equal. 

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
I can tell you managing a line group, especially with strangers is very difficult.  Like angel stated Google sheets seems to be the easiest and best way to track across a group and get input/comments from everyone.  Hardest part will be getting people to commit and show up for the the hard to cover times during the middle of the day.  Also really need to ensure you adhere to CCI's 1 : 5 rule for holding spots so you don't have issues with the groups around you.  I personally don't think its fair to lock shifts across your group into the same amount of hours for every shift.  To me 10 - 11 AM is WAY more valuable than 10 - 11 PM so shouldn't be counted as equal.

Thanks this is exactly the type of stuff I am looking for.  So it's not just me, but a time slot of 9am-11am may be as much as a sacrifice as a slot of 9pm-1am as the night one is longer but you aren't missing out on as much of the con.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
Guys please remember you don't even have to be a member to see what is discussed here.  I get wanting to discuss this with like-minded people but I feel like anything related to this subject should be in PM's or in your group's communication. Unfortunately, free information can actually be harmful to your con experience.

Lines have become an emotional experience, I have watched security and attendees turn red from screaming at each other and I was scared it would go badly.   

I can already see the emotions got high in the thread.  So let's table this discussion out of respect for each other. 

If you are interested in how people manage lines please PM each other. 

Also, remember if you are in a line group sharing information or tools may be against your group's rules.  So if you aren't the leader make sure your leaders are okay with you sharing!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
So PM the group the group I don’t have on how to set up a group and the best ways to do things. Sounds good.
Again if you don’t want to share tips you don’t have to. Or feel free to post our PM them. Sorry for trying to learn myself and help others that haven’t done long lines for Hall H. Funniest part is last year Hall H was walk in at almost all times....oh well oh well oh well.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »
...how to set up a group

basically post saying you're setting up a group for XXX day
have people pm you
set up an off-FoCC method of communication,
develop a tracking method(google doc's is most folks go to but there are other tools out there for people management)
follow the cci rules 1:5

there a lot of variations on how people do the above - it just depends on who is in your group. A bunch of folks who know each other well and have worked together for years will approach it differently then a small group of complete strangers.
my suggestion at the beginning when starting small is to let it develop organically but htat is a general rule I apply to all smaller groups when doing something with volunteers.

just to stress, there are no official focc groups and we do not want to contribute to the discussion of timing, the 'when to line up' question.
That said buying groups tend to work together for other items, hotels, exclusives etc
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »

basically post saying you're setting up a group for XXX day
have people pm you
set up an off-FoCC method of communication,
develop a tracking method(google doc's is most folks go to but there are other tools out there for people management)
follow the cci rules 1:5

there a lot of variations on how people do the above - it just depends on who is in your group. A bunch of folks who know each other well and have worked together for years will approach it differently then a small group of complete strangers.
my suggestion at the beginning when starting small is to let it develop organically but htat is a general rule I apply to all smaller groups when doing something with volunteers.

just to stress, there are no official focc groups and we do not want to contribute to the discussion of timing, the 'when to line up' question.
That said buying groups tend to work together for other items, hotels, exclusives etc

I also want to add to @alyssa's post and share some things to keep in mind as you think about joining or forming your own line groups:

For those of you interested in forming a group together, please feel free to take the initiative to contact each other through PMs or chat apps like Slack or Discord, make a list of who is interested in working in a line group, and then start the process of figuring out how you plan on organizing your shifts, manpower, and availabilities for lines. 

The first step is to seek interest in those who may wish to join you.  From there, depending on how many people you have, you can talk more in depth about shifts, times, and whatnot.  The number of shifts, the length of shifts, and their time slots may heavily depend on your group's total numbers overall as well as the programming/panel schedule that will be released by CCI sometime in early July.  As that information is released, people in your group can figure out availabilities and narrow down the times and shifts to cover (while following CCI's 5 to 1 rule in which for every 5 people in your group, there should be 1 person in line to hold the spots).  Obviously, more people working together in a group means more people are committed to those shifts, thus being able to take care of the various times throughout the day (or night).

Please use this thread if you wish to connect with others to start a line group.  Now is a good time to ask for interest, and as alyssa mentioned, it's okay to start small and let it develop organically.  Once there's a decent enough amount of people interested, whoever is willing to take the lead can branch off into using Slack, Discord, Facebook, whatsapp, or whatever is most convenient/easy-to-use for further discussions.

Please also keep in mind that if you join or create a line group that you should all agree to put in the time for the group to be fair to everyone in your team.  Once you have the main members of your line team, set some ground rules for everyone to follow and ensure things run smoothly as possible.  Some other considerations include: Is the leader going to be taking point on all shifts and making sure people check in on your selected group chat app or Google spreadsheet when it is their turn to line up?  Or, will there be second-in-command team members who will help make sure people stay on track?  Remember that one person cannot carry the team for it to work successfully.  It is, ultimately, a group effort, and everyone must pitch in.

Of course, there may be unforeseen issues at con, but be sure to maintain open communication with one another (even if it's just to say "Oh, I'm running 10 minutes late because of a panel, but I will be there!" when it's your turn to line up).  Everyone will be that much more appreciative, and it will be less stress for you all.  Because things at con are and will be stressful, doing your part for the line group and keeping in touch will go a long way and make the experience better.

We, the global mods and admins of this forum community, ask that line team discussions, coordinating times/shifts, and other specific details related to such be kept privately and off of the threads and forums to protect yourselves from any liabilities and to maintain CCI's policies.  Remember that they're keeping an eye on this community and other online social media (such as Facebook or twitter) as well, and they could, at any time, change their line policies if it means preventing issues with convention center security or maintaining safety first for all those involved.

I hope that helps a little bit, and I wish you good luck.  ^__^/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:17:28 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...