Author Topic: How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions  (Read 9609 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »
how much do folks usually spend on a cosplay?

i'm considering something but the holster & gun are rather pricey.  I fell as tho it'll really pull the look together & are a necessary.  It would put the whole cosplay into the $500 range-  ???
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:43:22 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
Re: How much do you spend on a Cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
Last year as part of my Fallout 4 cosplay I was going to grab a holster from Walmart. I believe is was reasonable, something like $15. But I did not get it. For my Fallout 4 Vault 111 suit I think I spent $50-60: the blue coveralls, yellow fabric, and then stuff from home depot. This year my cosplay should be around the same. $30 or so for the base suit, and then $20-30 for fabric and odds-n-ends.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:22:35 PM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
Megan has spent $500 more than once.  She ordered 2 wigs for $150 today.  Ouch!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »
It depends on a lot of things. Number 1 is how much use I am going to get out of the costume. Am I going to wear it multiple times? Can some of the pieces be used with other cosplays? Can I wear the piece as part of normal clothing and not a costume? If the answer to any of these is yes, then I will spend more.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »
I tend to not add mine up as I go, because it's depressing, but most of mine with wigs and shoes and props probably end up in the $200-250 range.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »
re-use for other cosplay or real life is a good point.  all of the cloths are real life usable. the holster & gun are not but could be used for another cosplay. And I've got the boots (yes, i have a lot of boots, it's a girl thing)

another odd question, does a cosplayer have to stop & let their picture be taken?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
another odd question, does a cosplayer have to stop & let their picture be taken?

No, but it is polite to do so. If someone wants to take your picture, that is a compliment to your cosplay. If you're in a hurry or it is otherwise inconvenient, then a polite refusal is okay.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »
I think the most I've spent on a cosplay was $170 but that's because the Kylo Ren helmet alone was expensive. I usually plan my cosplay ahead and buy materials for it in batches so that I don't feel as bad spending all of it in one go.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »
No, but it is polite to do so. If someone wants to take your picture, that is a compliment to your cosplay. If you're in a hurry or it is otherwise inconvenient, then a polite refusal is okay.

i want to cosplay but i don't like having my picture taken.  is that weird?

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
I think the most I've spent on a cosplay was $170 but that's because the Kylo Ren helmet alone was expensive. I usually plan my cosplay ahead and buy materials for it in batches so that I don't feel as bad spending all of it in one go.

^^^Wisdom! :)

i want to cosplay but i don't like having my picture taken. is that weird?

Not at all!

Could the cosplay you are already considering be easily modified / upgraded by adding a mask? :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:29:47 AM by AzT »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »
I am the same way, but cosplay has actually helped me get over it a little bit. I still have issues with it IRL though.
Ang

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »

No, not at all! A lot of people who cosplay are very shy and reticent IRL. But putting on the costume helps you embrace the character, and often gives people more confidence. If you'd like, you could wear a mask or makeup or a wig to change your appearance, so that it doesn't look like 'you'... if that makes sense?

Offline starrynado

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
My cosplays have ranged anywhere from 30 to...almost 1000. It's kinda depressing to think about sometimes but the pictures when you're done makes it worth it.

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 10:11:24 AM »
No, not at all! A lot of people who cosplay are very shy and reticent IRL. But putting on the costume helps you embrace the character, and often gives people more confidence. If you'd like, you could wear a mask or makeup or a wig to change your appearance, so that it doesn't look like 'you'... if that makes sense?

I am the same way, super shy! Which is why i have never gone to any meet ups...

I don't think my character for cosplay this year will help much.. Going as Tina from Bobs Burgers lol

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
cosplay, or just a costume?

enter the ancient egyptian costume.

white cloth and gold/gold colored/gold plated costume jewelry.

when warm, wear as a living royal, and dress in as little as needed to be comfortable.
when cold, dress as a undead mummy. wearing jewelry on the outside of the wrapping.

tips:

a good looking cobra headband will be hard to come by, do without, or have one made, or make yourself. proper sandals might also be hard, i just go barefoot if i have a hotel room nearby. (dragoncon does not allow this)

old met egyptian jewelry from 1976 and 1978 on ebay is just copies of what is real. sometimes they still offer the odd item:

metropolitan museum of art has stuff You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

if you consider the jewelry things you would use normally, then you might develop a collection. a new costume is just a change of jewelry.

gold rings, sometimes with real 2-3000 year old scarabs in them go for sale in the ebay gold scrap section. they consider the scarabs worthless, and the gold rings, while worn and scratched up a bit (from 1880-1930ad) are sold for the metal value alone. ive gotten rings for 88 american dollars that would have cost me 900+ dollars at a jewelry shop.

fun fact:

friends went to undead convention with me. they dressed as disgusting zombies. i went as a barefoot (grey bodypaint underneath) mummy. i got into the fancy restaurant with some mummy girls. the zombies were deemed "disgusting". they were not allowed in. i waved at them while sitting down to eat behind a floor to ceiling glass wall. i have also been allowed into places barefoot and shirtless as a egyptian prince, while other costumes were shunned.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:35:44 PM by matthew »