Author Topic: A new auto signing procedure for the WB at SDCC?  (Read 40871 times)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: A new auto signing procedure for the WB at SDCC?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE make it an online lottery!
 Would make me a happy happy boy!

I think an online lottery for WB and FOX would be the way to go.  By the time those lines were full last year, CCI had the task of moving all those people out of Sails and back to either Exhibit Hall or outside the building. So by 7am you already knew most of the autograph and exclusives drawings were completed anyway.  All that prep and volunteer resources for one hour? 

The Sails exclusives lines have decreased to Hasbro, Lego, and Funko. Hasbro eliminated one voucher day from three (Thurs, Friday, Sat) to two (Thurs and Friday) over the past few years.  Lego line doesn't have the draw of Funko's.  So basically, Saturday and Sunday have had less exclusive drawings than years past.  I don't see any advantage of decreasing the presence of the exclusive's drawings and increasing the demand for Sails autograph draws.

If CCI can eliminate all Sails drawings, that may not help solve the Hall H problems.  Most of the Hall H line management uses the security teams and not the volunteer pool.

If they do this new process, i wonder when they will send emails or post a notice about it before the con comes around in july? that way u can adjust plans any to make sure to try for any and know u not gotta waste time in line at the con and can focus on something else while u roaming around and still enjoy the con the days u able to go and all.

Fox autographs seem to be available when they publish the guide, so at least by then!

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
This will be my first time going to comic con. I am a fan with online lotteries for other events/conventions. This gives me the opportunity to do something else and not waste time standing in a line that I could be doing for something else. This also could be a way to help crowd control or prevent people from selling badges too. This is because if you win, I'm assuming it would link to your badge, so if they scan it they would be able to tell if you are able to enter that line.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:30:14 PM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
Seeing the line in back on both sides of walkway so traffic was still able to go through without hassles was crazy. then also saw some scttered i guess trash that was left behind or just dropped along the way so was kinda shocked how if u not try find a trash can close by which im sure u can ask anyone they can tell u where the cans are at really. there is so much staff or security around at con that im sure somebody can show u or suggest where to go so it not just left on ground for others gotta clean up after anyone lol. so i guess that was a rant lol , but yes if they made where ur badge had record of u got a ticket or slot to get autograph or into a panel that they can scan badge and it give some kinda clue of light or words on scanner they u allowed to go in at time.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 12:20:05 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the online lottery too. On one hand, I'm glad because I haven't been participating in the WB autograph lines wait in the pasts few years since I need my sleep and can't camp overnight and now with an online system, I have a minuscule chance now of getting an autograph ticket as opposed to zero. OTOH, clearly this system will be easily abused with non-fans jumping into the lottery to try to scalp the tickets, etc. I hope the WB will design a system where it won't be as easily abused and allow real fans of each show to have a higher chance of getting tickets. They can design the system in a way that, say, asks the TV show-related trivia questions or have the fans take pictures of their blu-ray copies of the show they want a ticket for in order to submit valid entries. Once the tickets are passed out online, they can have fans pick up the wristbands (and put them on) once they show valid ID so there's minimal chance of scalping.

I'm curious what do people here think of the Starz booth system? If you haven't gone through their booth before, what they do is make fans line up and go through their booth for a chance to get a ticket. They have tons of empty cards in the ticket bag so the chances of getting tickets are low but you don't need to camp out and you can go through their booth as many times as possible so if you are dedicated, you can have a higher chance to win. They also have tickets/vouchers for merchandise for the TV show shows they're promoting so you can win other stuff like t-shirts and bags even if you miss out on an autograph ticket.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:20 AM »
This whole line situation started when they shifted the drawings to occur in the early AM. When I first started going to the con in 2012 they offered drawings throughout the day 2-3 hours before the actual signing. This distributed the demand so there were nowhere near the length we now see. If WB decide to split the drawings to 2 or 3 drawings during the day I think this would alleviate the situation and also offer a fair shot to more people without having to move to an online lottery.

CCI has gone on record that they intentionally make their schedule to spread the demand and this forces us to make decisions. Getting in line for an autograph drawing is a choice and the attendee should decide to make that commitment.

WB could consider offering drawings during the day at specific times and therefore give everyone interested a shot.

While some people may favor online lotteries I suggest they reflect on their own top priority during SDCC when the demand for almost everything is multiplied by a factor of 100k then think what happens when that shifts to online and everyone with a badge can participate from home ‘just because’ or ‘hey I will try this out’. This dilutes the opportunity for others.

I liken it to badge sales and hotels - which lead people to work harder to get what they want.

I literally gave up hope with NYCC online lotteries because I struck out almost every single time since they started it. NYCC did fail in epic fashion for WB autographs a few years ago and this was down to poor planning and horrendous execution which lead to a stampede.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
How about a lottery to have a chance to wait in a line?
Similar process to how we get our CCI tickets including allowing two other people to join you...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:35:23 AM by ALF »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »
Similar process to how we get our CCI tickets including allowing two other people to join you...

This sounds like a nightmare, but actually makes a lot of sense!  People who aren't truly invested could win but then won't show up.  It would also decrease the number of entries.  Genius!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
Alot ideas on how to get rid of baddies who ruin for rest who really value a celeb who sign goodies and wont ebay it later by chance. i wonder how many peple in line just ebay anything they get after they wait so long to get then to ebay later for profit . but anotehr idea for lines can be like southwest does to board plane for anyone who has taken that airline for ride to any place know how they have everyone wait by an area or post as to what ticket says but not assign u a seat so u can choose where u wanna sit when u board and hope a god spot for the time u on plane. it have posts by letter a,b,c ,d and then the number beow so u cant jump line cause can check that u havent jumped ahead by those around u can show who is supposed to go and when . that maybe a crazy idea but it works i think.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
Lego line doesn't have the draw of Funko's.
When was the last time you tried for a LEGO minifig?  That line typically stretches down the marina past the hotels alone!  WAY longer than any funko line I have ever seen....but probably because the funko line is sold out / capped much quicker.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »
When was the last time you tried for a LEGO minifig?  That line typically stretches down the marina past the hotels alone!  WAY longer than any funko line I have ever seen....but probably because the funko line is sold out / capped much quicker.

He's referring to the early morning Sails lines, which Lego has for their set they will be ticketing that day.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »

I've participated (and failed) in the long, afternoon  Lego minifigure drawings  The 2016 Funko Conan pop drawings at the Hyatt weren't short lines, easy to do on first days, longest on the last day of the show (no Hall H lines).

I've done the WB autos in the past and won,  but found you only have a few hours notice before the signing.  Maybe online lotteries won't alleviate the lines in the morning and afternoon drawings, but any step up to plan your day helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 09:59:19 PM »
i like the idea of an online lottery, but i know our chances of winning would be scarce compared to us lining up every night. it would definitely change our plans this year if they do it online.

even if the WB did an online lottery, the lines wouldn't be any noticeably shorter. people would just line up to do something else. at least that would be our plan of attack im sure.

me and my daughter always commit to doing WB autographs almost everyday each year at SDCC if we can. ever since our 1st SDCC in 2014, i have enjoyed getting autographs at SDCC, whether it be fox or wb, or any other autographs we can get.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
I can still remember when i use to go to con and it wrapped or trailed around the back just to get in lol, they had anyone who worked for them check the line and made sure u had a form to fill out as u waited to go in and get a badge made and made right there as u paid to get in for the day. not sure who remember how u had to write ur name on a certain sticker they used to add it to the badge they made so it wasnt typed as it is now. i so miss those days and i dont remember reading how people had to camp out for lines for just an autograph from stars or any exclusive lol. and there was no funko craziness either lol. i had chances to take pictures with stars or of them around fans and all. scored some cool stuff i still have and value today. able to tell a comic book maker i liked a certain character at his early stages where was no line lol so his wife at time , we just had ask for him and he was cool and still is for pics and a comic signed at time. but now he so popular his line is mile long or longer dpends on con or shops he does siginings at any. i know some dont mind wait in long lines if not care for anythng else much, but i try enjo the con and capture pics where i can cause i never know when i may or may not see what i saw again.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
Yeah, like what Funko did for Preview Night.  Maybe they can do an online lotto the week before SDCCI (after CCI has released the panel schedule), and then only wrist-banded people can wait in line.  Maybe do it ala movie sneak preview pass distribution, where they overbook a little bit so that way you have to dedicate some time to guarantee a place in line?  That way it takes a lot of congestion from huge lines, lets people better plan their days/be able to see more of the Con, but might also slightly counter/preempt additional swells of lines elsewhere by still having line-ups (albeit significantly smaller) for autographs.
I personally think for all of the 'bonus' stuff of autographs and exclusives there should be an online lotto type of thing.  I won the Funko lotto a few years back for PN and got the wristband but still had to wait in quite a line to buy anything (and by the time I got through they didn't quite have everything I wanted).  It still rewarded the Funatics who got a wristband ASAP then lined up ASAP to get in.  I didn't want to commit all that time, got some of the stuff I really wanted, missed out on some stuff because the true Funatics beat me to it: something I was 100% fine with (not that my opinion matters, but just wanted to clarify I'm not bitter or upset at all with that process).  Something similar could work for any type of online lotto for exclusives or autographs.

I still think the panel stuff is MUCH trickier due to CCI's policy of not clearing the rooms after each panel (I would've been WAY pissed to have to choose between WB or Marvel, for example - as would anyone else who does Hall H).  I personally like the current system, though maybe the wristband thing could be more immediate (like a Disney fastpass) saving EVERYONE time (and also kind of screwing line-up groups to an extent) and space.  It would take way different logistics for returning the morning of panels, but smart minds can figure such things out using current space already utilized for, say, Hall H Saturday lines.

Obviously at this point we're talking 100% speculation so no use getting to upset (or excited).  I personally would love the autograph lotto because I stay the heck away from that mess because of insane lines.  For WB I wouldn't care for any autographs though so this wouldn't impact me.  I get the "I'd rather wait it out and win" than "I must take my chances with the lotto."  I felt the same when CCI went to the online system for pre-reg but I think the current internet sales work out MUCH better.  I kind of wish they would do some badge sales at local comic shops in SD to support the local businesses but I get the logistical nightmare that would entail.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »
I can see how u go to get a funko u want , but then find out it gone because so many want it or they dont limit and an ebayer stockpiles all they can so those who really value having one and not resaleing miss out . and for a place to sale SDCC tickets or badges makes it too easy for them to be resold cause not sure how they can track if it resold for profit and those who really do wanna go get screwed over cause scalping and con owners cant block badge if not recorded that it been sent to whoever so they can block if find out it been on a site to be resold for profit.

i can rant and rave about stuff but that does not stick to the topic at hand, so i dont know how they gonna fix for not have a repeat of last year hassles any. but we know there always gonna be anyone who gonna find a way to by pass any system these days and they dont care who wins or  lose they only care about those they make bands for at time. im so glad i skip all that hassles, cause some day the cast for any movie or show will be in autograph or a booth area and not mind pay them for autograph and pic at time cause u didnt have to spend a day waiting in line all day when u can be roaming around and just check times to be at booth and ready ahead of time. i just remember how things use to be before this con got so massive or popular that anything is a miracle to get anything at time do to all the crazy traffic lol.