Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24336 times)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
I'm curious if they'd roll badges over again or just refund everyone. Can't keep rolling them forever  :-X

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 12:09:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They just canceled CES 2021

Yikes, the first truly big convention cancelation for 2021.

With a similar 5 1/5 month lead time, we would theoretically know SDCC 2021's fate by early February.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:22:41 AM »

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
I think if 2021 is cancelled, it'll be a mass refund with no option of rollover and 2022 will be a completely new sale with a drastically reduced number of badges. I wouldn't be surprised if they go that route regardless of getting a green light to have the convention next year - I don't expect attendance to be what it was in previous years anytime into the foreseeable future.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »
I was surprised that CCI rolled over this year's badges.  IMO, it didn't make sense for them to have that liability on the books.  Especially since they don't know what form any future convention will take and thus they don't know how much it will cost.  Say it costs $100/per person per day to put on the convention in 2021 due to the added cost of new measures and lower attendance, how can they honor a badge they sold for $69?  There's too much that's unknown to commit to that.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »
I was surprised that CCI rolled over this year's badges.  IMO, it didn't make sense for them to have that liability on the books. 

But that liability might be exactly why they rolled it over... if the money was already spent on some level they simply didn't have the cash to process that many returns.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »
But that liability might be exactly why they rolled it over... if the money was already spent on some level they simply didn't have the cash to process that many returns.

I think they did.  According to reporting, the reason the official cancellation took so long was that they needed the time to get released from contracts without penalties.  From the convention center, from hotels, from whoever.

Also it's been reported that CCI saved up money just for this possibility.  So they would have the money to ride out an unforeseen cancellation.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »
I'm curious if they'd roll badges over again or just refund everyone. Can't keep rolling them forever  :-X

While I agree...for myself, I'd personally be okay with them rolling them over every year until it comes back.

ETA: Rolling things over until at least 2022 is feasible. Star Wars Celebration got pushed to 2022 and many people chose to roll over. The difference is they have no 2021, but it is showing that there are people who don't mind their paid bages being rolled over until 2022.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:08:29 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »
Can Comic-Con require proof of vaccination as a requirement for attendance?  If so, and IF there is a viable vaccine by the end of the year, I vote yes.  But I think Wondercon in March is unlikely and losing three shows will really hurt CCI financially.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »
They just canceled CES 2021, I doubt any big conventions in 2021, but I hope I am wrong.

Take back take it back

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »
I think they did.  According to reporting, the reason the official cancellation took so long was that they needed the time to get released from contracts without penalties.  From the convention center, from hotels, from whoever.

Also it's been reported that CCI saved up money just for this possibility.  So they would have the money to ride out an unforeseen cancellation.

i think i remember cci saying, the money they would have collected in 2020 would pay for 2022 con. It follows that they had ~ two years for an in-person con (since most everyone rolled over) AND an extra year of interest.
Likely that extra interest money has been spent on this years @HOME con
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »
I’m skeptical too unfortunately. I tried to be hopeful but as others stated, it’s a dumpster fire here. I read health experts don’t expect a vaccine available and things going back to (somewhat) normal until the last quarter of 2021. But as stated millions won’t take the vaccine so I don’t even know.

It was good while it lasted anyway?

I don’t know if CCI can afford to miss another year either especially with the museum

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
I was surprised that CCI rolled over this year's badges.  IMO, it didn't make sense for them to have that liability on the books.  Especially since they don't know what form any future convention will take and thus they don't know how much it will cost.  Say it costs $100/per person per day to put on the convention in 2021 due to the added cost of new measures and lower attendance, how can they honor a badge they sold for $69?  There's too much that's unknown to commit to that.

It was earlier on when things didn’t look as bad? Now all the huge cases are in the South and all over. Before it seemed as shutting down some areas would help contain it. Before all the protests and stuff...they were probably more hopeful there would be a next year.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 04:41:24 PM »
Deep (depressed) breath...

This is a tough one.  It's pretty clear in the United States that our current Federal Government is worthless, has no national plan, and is leaving it up to states (and politics) to decide how to handle things.  This will go on until at least January, and I honestly don't see USA getting out of "Wave 1" anytime before then.  It's so frustrating to know that beating this back, even w/out a vaccine, is incredibly doable: just see New Zealand completely beat it down to 0 new cases thanks to aggressive shutdowns & government financial assistance to weather the storm.  _IF_ US elects a new POTUS and _IF_ that POTUS enacts a more aggressive policy Day 1 (or, to be blunt, any policy which would be better than the lack-of Federal national policy we currently have), then _maybe_ things could be OK by next July.

To be super blunt, America has proven to be a selfish, entitled, incredibly misguided nation of people (or, really, at least half of the political persuasion).  We have a political party (ruling the Senate & POTUS) that scoffs at science and experts, thinks wearing a mask in a pandemic is tyranny, and just doesn't seem to care about the rest of the people in the country.  Even with a strong Federal plan enacted in January, I'm worried the opposition party would still rebel hard. 
BUT, it's my sincere hope that with a POTUS that isn't a raving lunatic, one that speaks with empathy and understanding and compassion, can speak to the majority of the country and help change the culture enough.  I'm not voting at this time, partly because I'm in a dark place mood-wise, partly because I honestly have no idea at this time.  Regardless of what I say above, I am optimistic for 2021 (I feel like I have to be...)

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
This thread is becoming way too political.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
This thread is becoming way too political.

I created the post at the risk of it potentially becoming that, but admittedly, the issues affecting the status of SDCC 2021 are somewhat political, whether we like it or not.

That said, this is certainly not the place to hold a Biden vs. Trump vs. whomever else debate :)
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron