Author Topic: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?  (Read 4745 times)

Offline CHEYS671Guam

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
Re: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 11:19:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anime Expo has always been notoriously lax about crowd control. 

This was 2017.

Wow. This is insane.  :o

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2022, 06:49:04 PM »
I just watched that video... it looks like people are waiting for the hall to open. They're just standing there. It's not the actual exhibit floor.

Yes, this. AX has an insanely long security line/bag check that funnels directly in to badge entry. The crowd pictured is the result of people being let into the convention space prior to any of the halls/panels opening for the day. If they waited, that line would likely take hours of the actual day (which it also does) in the hot LA sun. But yeah its very claustrophobic once it fills and packs to the brim

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 06:06:01 AM »

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2022, 06:57:14 PM »
Making a new post as my last wasn't on topic

But I've been a little worried about the lack of announcements for this year's con. Very few exclusives or panels have been hinted at, a few major booths have said they aren't coming.. at least there are promising off sites. I don't always need something to do at each con to have a great time, but over the last 10 years I've definitely relied on seeing old favorites and enough high excitement things happening that make sdcc feel just a little more special than the rest.. whether it be cool happenings or swag or big names doing big things. So I'm a bit nervous that sdcc will feel like a shell of what I remembered as some other cons have for me in the last year.

I'll still love it, I've definitely been having con cravings for the last 2 years of drought.. I just want it all to return to normal after this year at the very least :')

I just figure it's a condition of uncertainty and uncommittal after all the cancelations

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2022, 11:43:32 AM »
The announcements have been coming hot and fast today.  The floor is full, and there's been lots of off sites announced.  So I'm very high overall.  Even if the cons at 80-90% of what it typically is I am stoked because it probably is overcrowded as is. 

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2022, 06:24:10 PM »
So apparently there's not going to be a physical souvenir book this year.  It's going to be another "downloadable pdf".

That ... is disappointing. 

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2022, 06:48:25 PM »
I’m excited but tbh my expectations are low. Partially because it’s been 3 years but also stuff I did on the regular, isn’t happening for me this year (GoT panels are done, I didn’t make it into Fundays this year…). I wouldn’t be surprised to see it less packed based on how Star Wars Celebration was. I was also at VidCon in Anaheim a couple weeks ago for work and that was less packed than the last in person one in 2019. But who knows…SDCC can surprise me.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2022, 07:04:35 PM »
So apparently there's not going to be a physical souvenir book this year.  It's going to be another "downloadable pdf".

That ... is disappointing.

I don't want to harp on this "no physical souvenir book this year" thing,  but I do want to make this point:  I'm not mad or upset with the con organizers about it.  It's no secret that they're hurting financially and I have no idea how much it costs to produce and print this thing.  I imagine it ain't cheap.  If they can't afford it then they can't afford it.  The world's a different place now than it was three years and we have no choice but to deal with it, accept it and move on.

But ... I am a collector.  I have 37 of these things going back to 1982.  This should be my 40th.

Eff you, covid.

Okay, I got that off my chest.  Carry on.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2022, 08:13:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  If it really means that much to you, you could color print the pdf of the souvenir book. I know that's not very cost effective, but if it has sentimental value, it might be worth it.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2022, 08:47:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  If it really means that much to you, you could color print the pdf of the souvenir book. I know that's not very cost effective, but if it has sentimental value, it might be worth it.

Thank you!  I was actually thinking about that as I was watching Ms. Marvel tonight.  I'll take the file to a printer and see what they quote me.

That Bill Morrison cover is beautiful.  It's a tribute to the late Dave Stevens and the Rocketeer.  Dave was a special guest at the first Comic Con I went to.  He lived here in San Diego for many years.  I love that the El Cortez hotel is in the background.  That was the home of the San Diego Comic Con all through the 70's.

If nothing else, I'll get that cover printed and framed.  Thanks again, Transmute Jun. 

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2022, 08:56:33 PM »
I know that the previous 2 years I did see online people get the pdf professionally printed and bound. I don't think it would be too much to do it at a place like Kinko's or Office Depot

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2022, 09:20:31 PM »
Thank you!  I was actually thinking about that as I was watching Ms. Marvel tonight.  I'll take the file to a printer and see what they quote me.

That Bill Morrison cover is beautiful.  It's a tribute to the late Dave Stevens and the Rocketeer.  Dave was a special guest at the first Comic Con I went to.  He lived here in San Diego for many years.  I love that the El Cortez hotel is in the background.  That was the home of the San Diego Comic Con all through the 70's.

If nothing else, I'll get that cover printed and framed.  Thanks again, Transmute Jun.

Glad to help! It was clear that this was important to you.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2022, 04:00:44 AM »
In the same vein, does anyone happen to know if they have made all of the previous year's books online? That would be a pretty neat collage of covers to make as a single print.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2022, 04:51:16 AM »
In the same vein, does anyone happen to know if they have made all of the previous year's books online? That would be a pretty neat collage of covers to make as a single print.
I think for the fifty year anniversary, they posted all fifty covers. You could check the Toucan Blog.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This is what I remember, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:11:46 AM by SteveD »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2022, 05:17:05 AM »
I think for the fifty year anniversary, they posted all fifty covers. You could check the Toucan Blog.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This is what I remember, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
These all look the same size so it should be easy to accomplish. I'll have to whip something up...they don't look hi-res, but 'll see.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2022, 05:24:35 AM »
Thanks for this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
These all look the same size so it should be easy to accomplish. I'll have to whip something up...they don't look hi-res, but 'll see.
They're all approximately 740x??? (???x740), so not hi-res at all. I wonder if CCI even has his-res scans of the old issues?