Author Topic: How's the Security looking?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
How's the Security looking?
« on: July 05, 2022, 08:35:52 AM »
Anyone have a sense for how well security will be at the con this month?  I know I have always felt safe there, but it's been two years and with the increase in the number of shootings in the country, I am just wondering if anyone knows what is being done to ensure our safety.
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
Re: How's the Security looking?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 09:41:10 AM »
These threads are a few years old, but still have relevant talking points (and one was started in the wake of when an armed individual was arrested at Phoenix Comicon):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can't speak to what new policies will be implemented, of course, but I imagine most/all of what is mentioned (or something like it) will be in place this year.
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:00:58 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 10:08:25 AM »
Oddly as this sounds, one of the things I cling to regarding safety in the convention center is the difficulty in getting a badge.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 12:26:46 PM »
Sadly in this country, if it happens, it happens. Until something is done with guns themselves overall in this country, its clear this is something we all as a society will live with. And that sucks.

There was a heavy police presence at the Highland Park parade yesterday and yet someone still was emboldened to take shots.

I will say that inside the convention would probably be safe since they try to clear it so only badge folks get in along with police presence inside. But outside, if someone wants to do something, they probably could. Just be vigilant and mindful of your surroundings as best as you can.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »
Unfortunately, this is the American experience.  There's no getting away from it.  Unless they install airport like security at the doors, there's not much they can do about it.  I don't think that it being a badged event has much impact.  Since like how anyone can buy an airline ticket, anyone can buy a comic-con badge.

I wonder if it will come to airport like security.  The offsites at Petco Park have been doing it for years.  It's a Petco Park requirement.  You walk through a metal detector and your bags get searched.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 02:15:21 PM »
buying a badge takes a lot more forethought then buying a plane ticket  ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »
Unfortunately, this is the American experience.  There's no getting away from it.  Unless they install airport like security at the doors, there's not much they can do about it.  I don't think that it being a badged event has much impact.  Since like how anyone can buy an airline ticket, anyone can buy a comic-con badge.

I wonder if it will come to airport like security.  The offsites at Petco Park have been doing it for years.  It's a Petco Park requirement.  You walk through a metal detector and your bags get searched.

At Coachella this year, they had a new type of machine. They always had the airport security type metal detectors and wands before you entered the venue. They'd search your bags and stuff too and require you to take everything out of your pockets. But this year, they had a walk through Xray Detector. You didn't have to take anything out of your pockets, or stop even. You just walked through. Only thing you had to do was give the person in front of you 3 seconds before you could walk. Once folks saw this, most of the lines for the slower bag checks went in for the faster way. The main concern is this machine sees EVERYTHING, but would probably be a solution if SDCC ever wanted to implement more thorough checks for folks entering the con building. Its just for some folks this would raise privacy alarms.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 03:20:47 PM »
imho, the problem is less the convention center and more the gaslamp.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 03:35:17 PM »
I hate to be negative but there really doesn't seem to be any way to prevent these things from happening in the US right now. If I thought more security procedures would help I would be for it, but that seems unlikely. Things being what they are I hope that CCI doesn't waste their money and my time with 'enhanced' security like bag checks, metal detectors, etc.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 05:19:23 PM »
Anyone have a sense for how well security will be at the con this month?  I know I have always felt safe there, but it's been two years and with the increase in the number of shootings in the country, I am just wondering if anyone knows what is being done to ensure our safety.

For the past few SDCCs, my husband has been saying SDCC is the perfect place for a mass shooting. The last couple of times, we worked out escape plans, where to meet up, etc. He's right, actually. Everyone is in costume, lots of people in crowds, weapons can get all the way through, if you don't go indoors.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 06:55:33 PM »

In the run-up to Pride and Comic-Con, NBC 7’s Dana Griffin shares what police are asking people to do before and during those events to prevent potential attacks.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 11:09:25 PM »
imho, the problem is less the convention center and more the gaslamp.

I would feel safer in the Gaslamp than the Convention Center.  It's much easier to escape.  There are a lot of police around.  At a previous comic-con the police have stationed at least one sniper on the roof.  There really aren't that many police inside the convention center.  There is a lot of Convention Center security but they would not be much help if the worst happened.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 07:48:28 AM »
If you want to think about what would happen in a true emergency at SDCC, you could try reading this book.

It was written by an author who is very familiar with SDCC, and is about a zombie outbreak at the con. Okay, so we're not likely to have an actual zombie outbreak, but the way in which she details the government/emergency response around the convention center, in the hotels and in the Gaslamp, is very interesting. Plus it's just an good read. ;)

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
At least in 2019, the Hall H line had a Metal detector that you had to go through as you entered the final shoots, outside on the lawn.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 08:35:27 AM »
At least in 2019, the Hall H line had a Metal detector that you had to go through as you entered the final shoots, outside on the lawn.

That metal detector was useless. Besides the number of people going around them, they didn't check bags. I literally put down my bag, walked through the detector, then picked up my bag (which no one had looked at) and moved on. Plus, it took far too much time to screen people, which made it too long to fill the hall in the morning.