Author Topic: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2022, 05:25:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They're all approximately 740x??? (???x740), so not hi-res at all. I wonder if CCI even has his-res scans of the old issues?
Yeah, if anything, maybe a desktop wallpaper background...bummer :(
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2022, 06:50:32 AM »
I’m excited but tbh my expectations are low. Partially because it’s been 3 years but also stuff I did on the regular, isn’t happening for me this year (GoT panels are done, I didn’t make it into Fundays this year…). I wouldn’t be surprised to see it less packed based on how Star Wars Celebration was. I was also at VidCon in Anaheim a couple weeks ago for work and that was less packed than the last in person one in 2019. But who knows…SDCC can surprise me.

I'm excited as well, but I don't expect it to be as crowded as it was in the past.  I'm OK with that.  I made it to WonderCon this year for the first time.  The pros said it was smaller than previous years, but I still had a good time.  I've also decided, WonderCon will be an annual thing for me.

For what it's worth,   I'm just happy there is going to be an SDCC.  I'm also panicking, because of everything that I have to do to get ready.  I mean, I've only had two (2) years to get ready for God's sake.   :)

Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 07:14:10 AM »

Offline lostninja

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2022, 07:36:34 AM »
I'm afraid once the big vendors switch to just order online it'll be a chain reaction, and then only be 2-3 big vendors and filled to look more like LA Comic Con which is fine for what it is, but SDCC is the biggest and best one, so if small average person sets up shop it'll start going that way and chase away all the celebs , freebies and everything else that came with it. Already too many vendors offer online purchase, which takes away from getting an exclusive, I get buying online and picking up at the convention, that's a good idea. Not the other way. :(

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2022, 08:12:06 AM »
After the panel announcements made yesterday, I'm actually hoping the con has fewer people. It would be nice to enjoy SDCC without as much in the way of crowds.

This being said, even if the crowds are reduced, I'm pretty sure I won't 'feel 'it.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2022, 08:13:48 AM »
After the panel announcements made yesterday, I'm actually hoping the con has fewer people. It would be nice to enjoy SDCC without as much in the way of crowds.

This being said, even if the crowds are reduced, I'm pretty sure I won't 'feel 'it.
75% of 165K is still ~125K...that's still a lot of peeps!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2022, 08:18:34 AM »
Exactly. And at offsites, there are usually a lot of people who live locally, who don't have badges. So those lines are likely to be long, regardless.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2022, 12:25:10 PM »
75% of 165K is still ~125K...that's still a lot of peeps!

Where are you pulling 165K? The number most commonly cited the last few years has been around 130K as far as attendance goes. I'm expecting the number to more or less be that for Attendees. It seems most of us held onto our badges.

I'm afraid once the big vendors switch to just order online it'll be a chain reaction, and then only be 2-3 big vendors and filled to look more like LA Comic Con which is fine for what it is, but SDCC is the biggest and best one, so if small average person sets up shop it'll start going that way and chase away all the celebs , freebies and everything else that came with it. Already too many vendors offer online purchase, which takes away from getting an exclusive, I get buying online and picking up at the convention, that's a good idea. Not the other way. :(

Funny, this has been the dream for a lot of old timers. I remember overhearing conversations about folks lamenting "the Hollywood Takeover" of a Comic Convention. So I guess they'll get their wish, albeit more than a decade plus later though. I think the main thing SDCC has going is that it has a institutional history with a lot of companies and it still has strong history with comic artists, hence, most companies will continue to come. Book Publishers are also still in force (at least based on my review of the exhibitor list). So with comic and book companies still coming, you still have incentives for Hollywood studios to come as they are always trying to mine new works and IPs for shows and movies.

Where I do see a drop off is the toy companies right now. I haven't seen too many pure SDCC "exclusives" and what has been presented doesn't seem to be impressing folks as much either. This year has an obvious caveat in that there are high gas costs and supply chain issues along with the uncertainty of Covid. Toy companies seem to be the ones most affected by this so we'll have to see if this is a blip in the radar or a movement on things to come in how they handle selling at the con.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2022, 12:38:38 PM »
You make a good point, Vapors. It's been a year now (more) with supply chain issues. it could simply be that companies weren't certain whether or not they would have stock in time for SDCC, and so decided to make exclusives online, so that any production delays could be absorbed into delayed shipping dates.