Author Topic: San Diego Convention Center Expansion  (Read 166564 times)

Offline sorb3t

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 11
Re: San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #960 on: January 31, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
Waiting in line to wait in line? That's a SDCC experience right there!

All kidding aside, are any of the proposals calling for expansion of the main hall, or just additional building(s)?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Offline TheSa|nt

• Sails Pavilion
  • I am me!
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #961 on: January 31, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »
I'd love to see a proper expansion but they are quite limited on space as it is. Likely, they would have to get rid of the underground parking and turn that into a floor of the convention space or something, but even then, it needs to be able to capable of passing relates building codes (else the entire building would face massive renovation). They should just bring it to Las Vegas. The new convention center there is going to be off the hook when they get done expanding it. It is already off the hook as it is. They could easily double the attendance or more in Vegas and have all the expansion they could ever ask for. The only catch is that it is Vegas when you walk outside, and not the energy of San Diego, the ocean, etc.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #962 on: Today at 10:13:31 PM »

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #962 on: January 31, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd love to see a proper expansion but they are quite limited on space as it is. Likely, they would have to get rid of the underground parking and turn that into a floor of the convention space or something, but even then, it needs to be able to capable of passing relates building codes (else the entire building would face massive renovation). They should just bring it to Las Vegas. The new convention center there is going to be off the hook when they get done expanding it. It is already off the hook as it is. They could easily double the attendance or more in Vegas and have all the expansion they could ever ask for. The only catch is that it is Vegas when you walk outside, and not the energy of San Diego, the ocean, etc.

All due respect to Las Vegas or any other part of the country, but being in San Diego is part of what gives Comic-Con its identity.  The intimate, seaside downtown atmosphere...strolls along the bay at night, mingling with friends in the Gaslamp...

That cannot be replicated anywhere else.

I hope they remain here forever.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:18:25 AM by mattytreks »
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline TheSa|nt

• Sails Pavilion
  • I am me!
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #963 on: January 31, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »
All due respect to Las Vegas or any other part of the country, but being in San Diego is part of what gives Comic-Con its identity.  The intimate, seaside downtown atmosphere...strips along the bay at night, mingling with friends in the Gaslamp.

That cannot be replicated anywhere else.

I hope they remain here forever.

As much as I wish they would move it to somewhere less chaotic, I do agree. It is just so expensive for fans and so, chaotic. The show is no longer a vacation from everything else in the real world as it is a luxury that you have to buy into in every way. I've seen the number of people that are piling into some of these hotel rooms to make it work (secretly behind the rules of the hotel for a minimum occupancy). It's just not right in ways. In others, some may see it as an adventure I guess. They do need to work on the attitude some of the crowd seems to have gained in recent years. Rushing through, bashing into people without saying a single word for example. It's like moving through the streets of a busy city in China. Traffic issues would be the same though no matter where it is brought to. Vegas has the same issue when it comes to CES if you get anywhere near the main convention center. It's just so hard to get so many people into one space and then also expect them to act nicely about it :)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #964 on: January 31, 2020, 09:01:25 PM »
sdconventionctr Carpet Replacement - Lobby A-C ONE MINUTE Time-Lapse! 🎬 This video is for Lobby A-C but we have replaced the carpet in all of the lobbies throughout our building. We used approximately 46,000 (!) carpet tiles that you can see being installed one at a time.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #965 on: February 12, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The upcoming March 3 ballot measure will culminate a more than decade-long effort to enlarge the convention center, which city and tourism leaders have long said is too small to accommodate larger meetings and conventions that want to come to San Diego.

What’s different this time around is that the proposed hotel tax increase, which calls for raising San Diego’s room tax to as high as 15.75 percent for hotels closest to the downtown convention center, includes substantial funding to also attack homelessness, plus a much smaller amount for repairing roads.

The greatest share of revenues generated by the proposed tax hike — nearly $3.5 billion over 42 years — would go for the convention center project, including continued upkeep and marketing. More than $1.8 billion is to be set aside for addressing homelessness, and $551 million is targeted for road repairs.

REMINDER to all locals, please VOTE on march 3 FOR the expansion.

This is getting a lot of positive local press
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #966 on: February 12, 2020, 10:00:08 AM »
As I was watching the carpet tile replacement video, looking out of the skylight reminded me of The Time Machine (1960)  time lapse in the atrium. :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #967 on: February 12, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
I'm going to miss that turquoise carpeting!  So much time spent over the years resting and waiting and hanging out on that stuff.

Offline sorb3t

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #968 on: February 12, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »
I'm crossing fingers that a layer of anti fatigue padding was added under the carpet but won't hold my breath.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #969 on: February 29, 2020, 12:39:56 PM »
A reminder to all SD voters... Please help the convention ct expansion and vote Yes on C

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #970 on: March 03, 2020, 07:09:39 PM »
A reminder to all SD voters... Please help the convention ct expansion and vote Yes on C

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

countyofsandiego Election Results - When to Expect Them

Everyone wants election results immediately. Some will come within hours after the polls close. But it will take weeks to get to final results. Watch to learn why it takes that much time.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #971 on: March 03, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
I was driving to work this morning and the mayor was on my usual radio channel to answer some questions about voting on Super Tuesday. He really pushed for the convention center expansion during his time on air.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »
and it failed to get the two thirds majority needed to pass. Mesure c needed 66% but got 64%

:( :(

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
and it failed to get the two thirds majority needed to pass. Mesure c needed 66% but got 64%

Two measly percentage points.  What a gut punch.

That said, I truly do enjoy the con at its current size and layout.  CCI would never do the unthinkable and leave...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »

Maybe it'll get overwhelming support on the mail-in ballots  :(