Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24333 times)

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« on: July 27, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Now that SDCC 2020 is in the rearview mirror, it's your time to sound off about the future.  What say you? (also be sure to vote in the poll above ^^^)

This is a really tough one for me, personally.  After already losing one con, a second consecutive would be devastating for a multitude of reasons.

As of right now, I feel we will not be at a place in 7-8 months where CCI will feel comfortable moving forward with even a scaled-back in-person version of a Comic-Con in 2021.  And for that reason I will vote no, as hard is that is to do.

I hope our society proves me right and makes the necessary lifestyle changes to eradicate this pandemic -- I'm just uncertain it will happen in time for CCI to make the call on 2021.  Fingers crossed!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:18:13 PM by mattytreks »
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 04:12:37 PM »
SDCC 2021 or bust.

Edit: to clarify I'm for 2021

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:15:29 AM »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
Will there be a sale refunded tickets in the fall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have not heard of CCI’s plans for that, as of yet.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »
Looking at my previous post from March 13th about speculation for the upcoming 2020 con;

"I say that we'll have bigger problems at hand because if four months passes and we are still in a place where large event gatherings are banned - then we will be in the darkest timeline and attending SDCC will be a low priority for everyone due to living through an economic depression at that scale. I mean... things could always get worse. And without getting overly political, it seems like this administration is incredibly lacking (to say the least), and that its likely that things do get worse in the coming weeks before they will get better.

But its important to remember, that if we are projecting a timeline where SDCC is canceled - then what does the American life look like that that point? Millions of people in travel and service industry jobs will likely be out of work, the economy will have collapsed, and (at the risk of sounding like a doomer) we might be living in some state of anarchy."

??? I guess I should've knocked on wood.

I think this Winter is going to be rough; I think if we get some sort of rapid testing in order by the end of the year, we'll be okay for 2021, but it will still be a very different con.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 05:23:11 PM »

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (bold = mine)

RETURNING ATTENDEES

Due to the option of allowing Comic-Con 2020 badge holders to transfer their badges to Comic-Con 2021, there will be no Returning Registration for Comic-Con 2021. Depending on the number of refund requests received, there may be reduced inventory for sale in the fall of 2020.

FIRST-TIME ATTENDEES

To participate in any badge sale, you must have a valid and confirmed Comic-Con Member ID. Click here to sign up for one today! The Member ID system will close - without notice - in advance of any badge sale event. Everyone you wish to purchase badges for must have their own valid and confirmed Member ID account.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
As I've been saying since this started, the question is not whether we would have a comic-con in 2020 it's whether there will be one in 2021?  Right now, I don't think we will.  If we got our act together then maybe we could have.  We didn't.  The way we didn't was in a very bad way.  Roughly 30-40% of the population thinks covid is media hype.  They refuse to wear masks.  So even if we get a viable vaccine, by current polling, roughly half the population will refuse to take it.  That simply won't allow there to be large gatherings.

We had all the tools we needed to get the same effect as a vaccine all along.  We haven't used them effectively, why would it be any different with a vaccine?  As the saying goes, vaccines don't save lives vaccinations do.  A vaccine is not very useful if people aren't willing to be vaccinated.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
I'm voting yes.

I think there will be a vaccine by then.

Those that take it don't have to worry about those that don't.  If you take it, you'll be protected.  If you don't, you're taking responsibility for your decisions.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline tk415650

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 06:43:38 PM »
 I will vote 'No' based on what the trends are right at this moment and the fact that there is little to no help or leadership coming from Federal Government.

'IF' there is an administration change in January 2021 in this country and the government is willing and able to administer a national testing and contact tracing strategy AND there is universal healthcare available to everyone in this country then we could talk about the possibility of Comic-con 2021.  :(

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »
First of all, I don't think we'll see a badge sale at all for 2021.  I don't think they'll want to deal with refunds should that be necessary, and even if it isn't necessary they'll want fewer people trying to get into panels and on the floor.

That said, at this point I seriously doubt we'll see SDCC in 2021.  If we have a vaccine it will take a while to get it to everyone, and it sounds like people will need multiple doses.  I'm afraid concerts and conventions and packed sporting events won't happen for quite a while.  I really hope I'm wrong.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »
Those that take it don't have to worry about those that don't.  If you take it, you'll be protected.

If only that was the case.  Rarely do vaccines work that well.  There has never been a vaccine that's been 100% effective.  The closest is the measles vaccine at 97%.  Even with that, it takes about a 90% vaccination rate to prevent outbreaks.  90% of the population has to take a vaccine that 97% effective to control measles.

Unless there is a miracle, we will not get that with a covid vaccine.  Flu vaccines are about 40-60% effective and the bar that's been set by the government for the covid vaccine is 50% effective.  Hopefully it'll be higher than that and clock in at 70-80%.  At that level of effectiveness we would need a 95-100% vaccination rate to control covid.  Pretty much everyone would have to be vaccinated.  We will be lucky to get half the population to take it.

Vaccines aren't about the individual, they are about the population as a whole.  Since they aren't 100% effective, they are a tool towards herd immunity.  By limiting where the virus can go and thus the infection rate, the virus can be contained and ideally eliminated.  Many people that get a flu vaccine still get the flu.  That's because it's not 100% effective and only about half the population gets vaccinated thus the virus is prevalent.

Even taken at an individual level, at 70% effectiveness, how protected would you really be?  If there was a 30% chance that you would get run over walking across the street, how often would you walk across the street?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »
As much as I want SDCC to come back in 2021, I don't think it will either. Large indoor events will be the very last thing to come back. Even places that seem to have coronavirus under control still don't have everything back yet. We can't shelter-in-place our way back to SDCC, it will take an effective vaccine, or treatments that greatly reduce the spread and/or severity of this, or until this thing burns through enough of the population until there's no one left to infect (which seems like a real possibility at the rate we're going...  ::) )

Here is what baseball stadiums look like in South Korea: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Taiwan is doing a little better, with a recent 10,000 fan game. But 10,000 isn't going to work for SDCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also, CCI (and other organizations) already had to cancel nearly fully planned events without much notice, costing them a ton of time and money. I don't think that they'd want to risk that again, so I don't see a point in starting to plan for in-person 2021 until they're sure that we're in the clear. Which means that even if we get a vaccine in June 2021, we won't get a SDCC in July.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:00:17 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 05:25:31 AM »
I voted Yes because I just need to try and be positive about something when everything else is a dumpster fire.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
Armed with what I know right now, I voted no. The rest of 2020 is already more or less a write-off here in terms of large gatherings already being cancelled/postponed, no fans at sporting events, concert tour delays, etc.

CCI cancelled on April 17 this year. Obviously there's still a whole lot that could change between now and April 17, 2021, but assuming this is around the latest possible day they could make a decision for next year - and my guess is they'd consider making the call much earlier the second time around - I unfortunately am hard-pressed to see it happening if I was making a wager today.
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline Godolphin

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
They just canceled CES 2021, I doubt any big conventions in 2021, but I hope I am wrong.