Author Topic: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans  (Read 244906 times)

Offline psithi

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
Re: TIPS/Advice for First Timers List
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »
Hi just joined.
Want to add that so many people attend that your cell phone and wireless won't work. So make sure you meet people the old fashioned way, in advance at a time and place.

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 12:31:46 AM »
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this list! :)

This is my first time attending SDCC and I'm flying down from Singapore, so I need to do some major planning especially because I intend to cosplay for all 4 days.

It's a little scary reading about people ripping your badge off in broad daylight and the whole deal about your mobile phones not working but I hope it doesn't sound too ambitious to want to cosplay for all the days while getting autographs and attending (popular) panels while taking care of your claustrophobic best friend who's flying down to SDCC with you! :P

Just a question to those who have cosplayed at SDCC - is the weather bearable in multi-layered costumes? Do you spend most of your time indoors or outdoors? I'm making plans on my costume right now and would rather not opt for something that I'm going to perspire buckets in.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans
« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:28:55 AM »

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi it will be my 1st year attending SDCC, I was lucky to get a 4 day with preview (still no email yet as of 6:31 PM PST...should I be worried ?).
1) My question is how should I mange getting to all the panels that I want to attend. Any advice would be great.

2) Should I just use the preview day to view all the vendors & than buy stuff on Sunday.

1)A general rule is be in line 3+ hours before the panel. Keep in mind the size of the room and popularity of the panel as this will increase the wait time.

2)Buy what you really want at PV night as it will mostly likely be sold out sunday.  Buy things you can do without sunday as some vendors will put discounts on items so they don't have to carry it back.

This is really only true for hall h and ballroom 20. Most other panels you can get in line an hour or less before it starts and almost all of the comics related panels you can pretty much walk into whenever. The exception there are the big marvel and dc panels.

The second is true if you want exclusives or you need a xxl con shirt. Non exclusive items are usually in abundance throughout the show.

Offline psithi

• Freebie Table
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »
Last year for Warehouse 13 I stayed in line for three hours and didn't get in. Three hours in the sun in a costume. So if it's a popular panel I don't care what room it's in you have to get there four hours in advance. You know the popular panels, the TV and movie ones.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
Last year for Warehouse 13 I stayed in line for three hours and didn't get in. Three hours in the sun in a costume. So if it's a popular panel I don't care what room it's in you have to get there four hours in advance. You know the popular panels, the TV and movie ones.

What room was that panel in?

Offline yaro

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
I just want to say thank you for making that list! This is my first time going and I managed to get a 4-day with preview night for me and my boyfriend. I'm adding that to my checklist when I start to pack.
I have a couple of questions though:
Is most of the convention outside? Basically, what does the convention center layout like since I seem to read about people standing outside a lot?

Also, what's RFID? (sorry for not really knowing. It's my first time seeing that acronym)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
follow this link, it'll take you to a thumb nail of the con floor, click on that thumb nail
there is a second floor on top of that which has most of the panels- some lines extend out side for those panels.
Then there is another space, hall h, located on the south side, which is only accessible by going out side. hall h is the largest of the panel rooms

some cc's & most passports have a chip embedded in them, which can be read by a special device, a rfid wallet blocks that reading.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 03:36:10 AM »
Before buying an RFID wallet, you can also try calling your bank or credit card company and asking them if they can send you a non-RFID card.  It might be the cheaper option to save some money here and there (especially for the awesome swag at Comic-Con), and usually, the bank or credit card company won't mind.  After all, you'll still be using the credit card, ha ha.

I also found an interesting guide how to deactivate your RFID-enabled credit card--if you can see the chip in the card, like the person in the video, that is: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Some other links to make your own RFID shield (it's actually really easy if you have some aluminum foil):

Hope that helps! ^_^;
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:49:29 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 04:30:35 AM »
I just wanted a new wallet
 ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »
I just wanted a new wallet
 ;)
Hahahahaha, that's totally a valid reason. ^_~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline yaro

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:50 PM »
follow this link, it'll take you to a thumb nail of the con floor, click on that thumb nail
there is a second floor on top of that which has most of the panels- some lines extend out side for those panels.
Then there is another space, hall h, located on the south side, which is only accessible by going out side. hall h is the largest of the panel rooms

some cc's & most passports have a chip embedded in them, which can be read by a special device, a rfid wallet blocks that reading.

Thank you so much! The exhibition map helps a lot. Ah so that's what it does, I'll have to look into that.

Before buying an RFID wallet, you can also try calling your bank or credit card company and asking them if they can send you a non-RFID card.  It might be the cheaper option to save some money here and there (especially for the awesome swag at Comic-Con), and usually, the bank or credit card company won't mind.  After all, you'll still be using the credit card, ha ha.

Hope that helps! ^_^;

That actually helps a lot. I've talked to my boyfriend and his debit card is non-RFID. Looks like I'll be calling up my bank as well. :)

Offline Rogue Devlin

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
Thanks for all the tips,they have made me think about questions I hadn't considered yet.

I especially liked the recommendation of the pocket chair and it seems I can buy it here in mexico. Seems like a must.

I have several doubts that I hope someone can help me get rid off:

• A reasonable sized backpack is allowed inside the convention center?
  • Can I bring food inside said backpack it or do I have to somehow make it seem I'm not bringing in food?
  • What's the deal with the swags? Those are freebies? Do you just get them randomly or how do you know where to look for them?

Thanks in advance guys :D

Offline outphase

• Exhibit Hall
    • Law Bomb
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
Thanks for all the tips,they have made me think about questions I hadn't considered yet.

I especially liked the recommendation of the pocket chair and it seems I can buy it here in mexico. Seems like a must.

I have several doubts that I hope someone can help me get rid off:

• A reasonable sized backpack is allowed inside the convention center?
  • Can I bring food inside said backpack it or do I have to somehow make it seem I'm not bringing in food?
  • What's the deal with the swags? Those are freebies? Do you just get them randomly or how do you know where to look for them?

Thanks in advance guys :D

• Yes, backpacks are allowed
  • You can bring in food. I recommend it over paying for crappy food.
  • Swag is just a term for random freebies. You'll know it when you see it.

Offline Rogue Devlin

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
Thanks for answering so fast!

Offline Rainer

• Freebie Table
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
This will be my tenth year attending this epic show. In addition to bringing tons of patience and smiling faces, it makes it a happier event for everyone when we all remember to bring respect for each attendee's fandom preferences. I generally bite my tongue when someone starts making negative comments about a particular genre of the popular arts; however, we all need to me mindful not to hurt someone's feelings. Healthy debate is fine (such as Star Wars versus Star Trek or Batman versus Superman): It's when attendees cross the line by loudly belittling certain fans that it becomes frustrating. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.  ;)