Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26660 times)

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm curious...

I pray every night that the con is not cancelled, so I'm willing to wait up until the very last minute for a decision to be made.

For those wanting Sdcc to make the decision to cancel now, why not just go ahead and request a refund. Or are you hoping that a cancellation means you automatically qualify for the next con without having to go thru registration.

I have a hotel booked already so Im waiting til its cancelled.

Offline nightshade

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 20
I think SDCC’s unique risk is that it really does draw an international audience.  From all corners of the world.  Even if we can get control of it here in the next 2 months, it just takes 1 carrier from an infected area to super spread.  And we all know how tightly packed we are throughout the show - social distancing impossible. 

The other consideration is that studios/activations/marketers/exhibitors, etc... had to make decision rather early (4-6 months in advance) if will have major presence this year, and could you imagine that financial risk/liability to employees & talent?  Even the parties take months of planning.

I want SDCC to happen, but just hoping they can postpone hopefully to a date that another convention vacated.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
I would be happy if SDCC just canceled and applied our badges to SDCC 2021. That seems to be a win-win and the best solution. Also offer refunds for those needing the money right now or cannot attend in 2021. The registration process is stressful enough. July 2021 is far enough off where we should be in good shape.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
As each day goes by and the situation gets worse, I get more worried about SDCC.  There are a lot of unknowns at this point and I certainly hope things are getting better by July. 

But assume they are better and the con goes on.  You could camp out all night for Hall H and end up with great seats.  And then someone sits next to you and they have a consistent cough.  What do you do?  it's bad enough going to the grocery store and if someone coughs, a half dozen heads spin in their direction and glare at them as if they just set off a bomb.  Now imagine it happening in close quarters.  For better or worse it feels as if social norms may change after this.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
ABut assume they are better and the con goes on.  You could camp out all night for Hall H and end up with great seats.  And then someone sits next to you and they have a consistent cough.  What do you do?

That's easy.  Where there is a problem, there's a cosplay solution.  Wear a Stormtrooper helmet.  It'll cover your eyes and the rest of your head.  Wear a mask underneath it.  You're 80% protected.

For better or worse it feels as if social norms may change after this.

I hope so.  What people are doing now is what I've done for years.  I always wear a mask if I have a cold to keep it to myself.  Hopefully covid does to handshaking what the Spanish Flu did to spitting in the US.  While it didn't get rid of it entirely, it made it bad manners.  I've had a no handshaking policy for decades.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
I sincerely hope that social norms change as people tend to drag everyone into their colds with them.  In particular at work where people don't want to use their "vacation time" when they get sick.

This happened to me a few weeks ago where a co-worker got me sick and the first thing I did when I got symptoms was to go home and then arrange to see a Dr.

Having a bacterial infection in the times of a global viral pandemic is scary and not fun.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
I sincerely hope that social norms change as people tend to drag everyone into their colds with them.  In particular at work where people don't want to use their "vacation time" when they get sick.

You should use sick time, but there are situations where that can be a tough call.  I got sick shortly after starting my new job 10 years ago.  I didn't want to call in sick, because I just started, and I know that can leave a bad impression.  My symptoms weren't visible (not coughing or sneezing, but feverish).  Since it was a Friday, I went in to work.  I figured I could work one day, and take the weekend to recover.  It was a judgement call, but it worked out for me and there was no noticeable uptick in others in the office getting sick.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
Yes, and how many mildly sick people, with all they have invested, would still go to this show?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:38:18 AM by dcol »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
You should use sick time, but there are situations where that can be a tough call.  I got sick shortly after starting my new job 10 years ago.  I didn't want to call in sick, because I just started, and I know that can leave a bad impression.  My symptoms weren't visible (not coughing or sneezing, but feverish).  Since it was a Friday, I went in to work.  I figured I could work one day, and take the weekend to recover.  It was a judgement call, but it worked out for me and there was no noticeable uptick in others in the office getting sick.

When I started work at my last job, I was told that not coming in for any reason during the first three months would be grounds for being fired. So, I went to work deathly ill.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
I voted no.... have a family member going thru chemo treatment.... I just can't take the chance.

:(
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
I voted no.... have a family member going thru chemo treatment.... I just can't take the chance.

:(
Just not worth the risk. The crowded Florida beaches is an example of the mindset of those who still want to go in July.

Offline magicalme7

• Sails Pavilion
    • Follow me on IG
  • Liked: 12
I would be happy if SDCC just canceled and applied our badges to SDCC 2021. That seems to be a win-win and the best solution. Also offer refunds for those needing the money right now or cannot attend in 2021. The registration process is stressful enough. July 2021 is far enough off where we should be in good shape.

I agree. I would totally opt for that!! With the way things are going, I just don't see SDCC being a safe environment.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Just not worth the risk. The crowded Florida beaches is an example of the mindset of those who still want to go in July.
No, it's not.  People at crowded FL beaches NOW are doing so in the midst of a pandemic NOW.
We have literally zero clue what things will be like in slightly less than 4 months from now.  Could be fine.  Could be just as bad.  Who knows?!  As things stand now, on March 25th, I voted for "I'd Go" (or whatever: don't know explicit options on this screen) because I'm being optimistic on where this situation is.  Monitoring what our mayor is doing, and what our governor is doing, I'm feeling OK about where things _might_ be in 4 months.  I said it somewhere else, I think in 4 months if things are clear COVID-19-wise, I'm gonna want a release: I'm gonna want to celebrate getting through this thing.  And there is no party like Comic-Con party when it comes to celebrating almost everything I love: friends, family, pop arts (and sometimes when I'm lucky, music).

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
No, it's not.  People at crowded FL beaches NOW are doing so in the midst of a pandemic NOW.
We have literally zero clue what things will be like in slightly less than 4 months from now.  Could be fine.  Could be just as bad.  Who knows?!  As things stand now, on March 25th, I voted for "I'd Go" (or whatever: don't know explicit options on this screen) because I'm being optimistic on where this situation is.  Monitoring what our mayor is doing, and what our governor is doing, I'm feeling OK about where things _might_ be in 4 months.  I said it somewhere else, I think in 4 months if things are clear COVID-19-wise, I'm gonna want a release: I'm gonna want to celebrate getting through this thing.  And there is no party like Comic-Con party when it comes to celebrating almost everything I love: friends, family, pop arts (and sometimes when I'm lucky, music).
my point exactly

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251

If you'd have asked me in January where I thought this was going, I wouldn't have told you we'd all be stuck at home and businesses would all be closed. I did not see this coming. So, if things are fine in July, I'd go. I'm pessimistic, though. I think the pandemic will still be there, especially if  we go down the path our country's leadership is taking. I was wrong in January. Maybe I'm wrong right now.