Author Topic: Game of Thrones, the Final Season **Spoilers**  (Read 35913 times)

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
Re: Game of Thrones, the Final Season **Spoilers**
« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
Once I got over my anger over the last episode and the character assassination of Dany, I have to say that I really enjoyed the finale. I think the music really helped. I teared up at least a couple of times. I predicted the first big thing that happened but was surprised by how they ended it.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »
emilia_clarke Finding the words to write this post has left me overwhelmed with how much I want to say but how small words feel in comparison to what this show and Dany have meant to me. The mother of dragons chapter has taken up the whole of my adult life. This woman has taken up the whole of my heart. I’ve sweated in the blaze of dragon fire, shed many tears at those who left our family early, and wrung my brain dry trying to do Khaleesi and the masterful words, actions (and names) I was given, justice. Game of Thrones has shaped me as a woman, as an actor and as a human being. I just wish my darling dad was here now to see how far we’ve flown. But to you, dear kind magical fans, I owe you so much thanks, for your steady gaze at what we’ve made and what I’ve done with a character that was already in the hearts of many before I slipped on the platinum wig of dreams. Without you there is no us. And now our watch has ended.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #332 on: Today at 03:35:20 AM »

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2019, 12:47:59 AM »
Based on the ups and downs of the last season or two......I’m left whelmed.  It overwhelmed with joy or anger, not underwhelmed or filled with hate......just meh. There’s a lot of different ways it could have gone and the last season never really felt like the early seasons of the show. There were some nice moments (small council being a big one) but it just felt too happy of an ending for this kind of show. Too convenient. Just my opinion and thoughts.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2019, 01:11:58 AM »
I also did really love the shot of Dany walking to greet her army and Drogon’s wings spread out behind her to looks as if they were hers. Reminded me of season 1 of Luke Cage when Cottonmouth was in his office and the Biggie painting was behind him and the shot was framed to make it look like the crown was on his head
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2019, 05:16:55 AM »
I feel really hollow after that. Nothing makes sense. Nothing had any meaning. Stuff just happened.

There were some nice moments (small council being a big one) but it just felt too happy of an ending for this kind of show.

That was a scene that really bothered me, actually. Like, what is Bronn doing on the small council? As Master of Coin? How is Sam Grandmaester when he never even finished his training at the Citadel? (Presumably - we have no idea how much time has passed) I can't believe Brienne is head of Bran's Kingsguard when she swore herself to Sansa.

There were a lot of little things like that. Like, there is no way the other lords of Westeros would be cool with the North being independent and still putting a Stark on the Iron Throne. You mean to tell me once Sansa was like, "Hey, cool, we're not gonna be part of the Seven Kingdoms" that Yara and the still-unnamed Prince of Dorne weren't like, "What a great idea! Us too"? Why is Tyrion, the prisoner, running the meeting? Why is anyone listening to the Unsullied, especially since they peaced out back to Essos?

Gah, I'm making myself upset. I knew that with this show I wouldn't be entirely happy with the ending, but I was hoping there would be some part of it that would be satisfying to me and honestly one of the only redeeming parts was Jon finally patting Ghost and, like, that's a really low bar to meet.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2019, 05:50:59 AM »

I feel really hollow after that. Nothing makes sense. Nothing had any meaning. Stuff just happened.

That was a scene that really bothered me, actually. Like, what is Bronn doing on the small council? As Master of Coin? How is Sam Grandmaester when he never even finished his training at the Citadel? (Presumably - we have no idea how much time has passed) I can't believe Brienne is head of Bran's Kingsguard when she swore herself to Sansa.

There were a lot of little things like that. Like, there is no way the other lords of Westeros would be cool with the North being independent and still putting a Stark on the Iron Throne. You mean to tell me once Sansa was like, "Hey, cool, we're not gonna be part of the Seven Kingdoms" that Yara and the still-unnamed Prince of Dorne weren't like, "What a great idea! Us too"? Why is Tyrion, the prisoner, running the meeting? Why is anyone listening to the Unsullied, especially since they peaced out back to Essos?

Gah, I'm making myself upset. I knew that with this show I wouldn't be entirely happy with the ending, but I was hoping there would be some part of it that would be satisfying to me and honestly one of the only redeeming parts was Jon finally patting Ghost and, like, that's a really low bar to meet.

Bronn as master of coin makes bizarre sense to me. The whole series he has been motivated by money. Bran trusts Sam, of course he isn't going to have issues with him being Maester. Brienne did bother me, she should have been in Sansa's queensguard.

Curious as to why you think nothing had any meaning. What parts specifically?

Maybe the new prince of Dorne has no interest in being independent. We have no idea who he is. Maybe he wants to rely on the Crown. Maybe he thinks that's what's best for his people.

Yara probably should have fought for independence for the Iron Isles, but who is to say she won't in the future. This whole ending was about changing the status quo. No more iron throne. Not just the destruction of the chair, but the dismantling of the system. The throne, and who sits in it, is no longer "iron," it's not based on birthright, it doesn't matter if your dad was king.

Bran isn't a Stark anymore. He has no specific loyalty to the north or to his family. So they didn't put a Stark on the throne. And as the three eyed raven he has access to endless knowledge that could make him a great leader. And if he's not, well...they can change it. The wheel is broken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #336 on: May 20, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »
I don't really see the wheel as being broken.  If Bran is all-knowing, did he know Danyrius was going to kill hundreds of thousands of people and he did nothing to try and stop it?

Anyway, once something happens to Bran I see a whole new generation of lords and ladies restarting the "game" and using bribes, threats and manipulations to get "elected" the new king.  They just altered the rules a little, but the game is alive.  Or does anyone think having elected leaders leads to a completely fair system with no corruption?

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #337 on: May 20, 2019, 07:00:09 AM »
We don't know that Bran is all knowing. We know he sees the past. The only indication we got that he sees the future is when he saw Drogon fly over Kings Landing.

The wheel was about dynasties. The new system gets rid of that. It's no longer about Lannister or Baratheon or Tully or whatever. It's about choosing a specific person, not a whole family. If they chose Edmure, they aren't choosing his son or his son's son. They are choosing Edmure only. Then they will choose again. And again. Blood means nothing, the spokes on the wheel mean nothing. (Unless you're poor, obviously. They still have no place... yet)

And of course even in a democracy people can be corrupt. Obviously. But choosing a king each time is 100x better than the previous system of having someone conquer and then saying okay, your family gets to rule forever regardless of what a s**t job you do.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:03 AM »

You can see a water bottle.  :P

By the way, I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of Jon and Arya. Basically, hello spinoffs! We only know of one being a prequel, but not the other ones. Arya sailing west to the unknown would be a neat to see and the same for Jon returning north. We still haven’t seen everything in that region. Also, the Night’s Watch is not needed anymore besides being a garbage zone for those that are unwanted? I doubt it since Bran can see the future.

Heck, I can picture GoT returning later. Think Force Awakens but in this universe. So many questions left unanswered; nothing really got concluded in the end when you think about it.

New storylines have begun, which gives HBO the power to continue the main series. Don’t be surprised if what I said comes true later. Money talks and HBO wants to GoT us to death.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:04:56 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
This article sums up how I feel about the fates of the characters. 

It was never going to be a triumphant ending.  And I disagree that it was a happy ending.  Sansa gets to be Queen but she's more or less alone, no longer the silly little girl with romantic ideals.  Arya is a lone wolf, wandering around the world as there's really nothing for her in Westeros anymore, Jon lives in exile. 

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #340 on: May 20, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »
Jon lives in exile.

But he lives in exile with Tormund... ;)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:58 AM »

And he gets to find a new Greta! 

Silly Greyworm, they pulled a fast one on him.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
And Ghost!
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
Yeah, I would say Jon is NOT in exile. He is living beyond the wall, which is where he spent the happiest moments of his life. I think it's the ending Jon would have always wanted for himself, especially with the knowledge that his family is safe.

I would say it's mostly a happy ending for everyone who was left (except Grey Worm). Way happier than I ever expected, so I'm actually pleasantly surprised in that regard.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
Arya is a lone wolf, wandering around the world as there's really nothing for her in Westeros anymore, Jon lives in exile.

When Arya said she was taking off, I envisioned her riding off on a horse into the sunset.  But she's the captain of a ship with a full crew.  Not exactly a lone wolf.

Jon has been in exile since season 1.  The feel I got from that scene where he enters the gate and Tormund is there waiting for him was, "I'm home."

Why is no one talking about what happened to Ghost's ear?