Author Topic: Hidden Gems 2013  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Hidden Gems 2013
« on: July 06, 2013, 07:18:17 AM »
Just starting a post for some of the hidden gems within the schedule. We are all excited about the big panels, but there may be some smaller ones that you have discovered that deserve attention.

For me:
The X-Files with creator Chris Carter-Room 5AB Friday 1:45pm - 2:45pm
Making Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary-Room 6BCF Friday  5:45pm - 6:45pm

I have a conflict for the Roger Rabbit panel, but I think it bears mentioning. I haven't completely scoured the schedule, so I am sure there are many more.

Edit-found another already: Spotlight on Bruce Timm-Room 5AB Friday 2:45pm - 3:45pm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:26:49 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Hidden Gems 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
I think the coolest 'hidden gem' of SD CCI 2013 is this one:

The Anatomy of Superhero Film Music: Bringing a Comic Book to Life

Leading Hollywood film directors and composers-including composer Marco Beltrami with director James Mangold (The Wolverine), composer Brian Tyler with director Shane Black (Iron Man 3), composer Henry Jackman (X-Men: First Class, Captain America: Winter Soldier) with director Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class), composer Christopher Lennertz (Marvel: Agent Carter), composer John Debney (Iron Man 2, Sin City) and music supervisor Dave Jordan (The Avengers)-discuss the creation of the musical voice behind the hero. Following in tradition with a long-running franchise, the panelists will explore the challenges faced when bringing a comic book character to life and giving that character a voice. Additionally, composers will discuss working with directors and how they work together to convey the story of the character. Composers will discuss creating a theme, transforming the theme throughout the storyline, and following the often uphill battle that our heroes travel. All panelists will show examples of their work. With Q&A moderated by Ray Costa (award-winning journalist/ CEO of Costa Communications, a leading film music public relations firm).
Thursday July 18, 2013 10:30am - 11:30am
Room 6A

There are some serious film composer 'heavy-weights' on this panel, and being a musician/music teacher this is the type of really fascinating stuff I geek out over.  The Hall H & Ballroom 20 panels will be fun, but you'll be able to read every relevant quote + a frame-by-frame recap of the footage, online Saturday night: plus, the stars answer 'safe' questions with fairly vapid answers that were carefully crafted by studio publicists.  This type of panel could get a bit more in depth than the average kinda-lame discussions in bigger panels (which I also love), and I'm really excited for this hidden gem

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:07:32 PM »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
Along the same vein as the above, but for television:

The Character of Music
Composer and executive poducer teams discuss the dynamics of music in film and television. Bear McCreary and Jonathan Steinberg (Black Sails), Brian Reitzell and Bryan Fuller (Hannibal), and Dino Meneghin and Jeff Davis (Teen Wolf) will all discuss their working relationship, how music plays a character in their stories and the intense process of scoring their projects. The panel will be moderated by director of film and TV relations Anne Cecere of BMI and Chandler Poling, president of White Bear PR and feature a Q&A. Attendees will get a sneak peek into the work and receive fun giveaways.

Friday July 19, 2013 3:00pm - 4:00pm

Room 32AB
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:37:11 AM »
for me this one sounds fascinating!
Saturday
11:30AM — 12:30PM   Inside the Writer's Room: Earth's Mightiest TV Writers Assemble
Room 24ABC
Meet the writers, producers, and executives who make genre entertainment what it is today, and get an incredible insider look from the scribes behind some of today's hottest genre shows as they share their candid thoughts on how to make the series we love (and sometimes loathe). Find out the highly classified secrets to getting TV shows made and how to break in and break out in today's highly competitive broadcast environment; the deep dark secrets (and low-calorie snacks) of the writer's room; and why network executives actually care about what you say on message boards. No canned speeches and press releases here; get the straight scoop from television's most talented and outspoken writers and producers, including Javier Grillo-Marxuach (The Middleman, Lost, Helix), Ashley E. Miller (Fringe, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Amy Berg (Eureka, TNT Geena Davis pilot), Steve Melching (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Transformers: Prime), Gabrielle Stanton (Haven, The Vampire Chronicles, Arrow), Jose Molina (Firefly, Sleepy Hollow), Sarah Watson (Parenthood, The Middleman), Mark A. Altman (Femme Fatales, Castle), and surprise guests. Moderator Chris Parnell (senior VP, drama development, Sony Pictures Television) moderates.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline queenofsarab

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
I was actually just about to come post the TV writers one, too! I think that's the one I'm most excited for on Saturday. 

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »
For those looking for some comedy, and for those of use old enough for memory lane 1983 style, I thought this panel 
3:00pm - 4:00pm July18 @ Room 5AB We Still Love the '80s: 1983

Our 1982 panel was such a success, it's only apropos that it get a sequel. Welcome to 1983, now in 3D. If you thought nothing can compare to the greatest geek year ever, 1982, you're only half right. Get ready as GEEK magazine takes you back to the future; the year of such films as Return of the Jedi, War Games, The Right Stuff, Risky Business, Vacation, Scarface, Zelig, A Christmas Story, Blue Thunder, Krull, Psycho II, the 3D triptych of Spacehunter, Jaws 3-D, and Parasite and, of course, the ultimate 007 showdown, Octopussy vs. Never Say Never Again. GEEK founding publisher and moderator Mark A. Altman (Castle, Necessary Roughness) he promises a San Diego "all-time high" with Ashley E. Miller (Thor, X-Men: First Class), Robert Meyer Burnett (Free Enterprise, ST: TNG Blu-Rays), Steve Melching (Transformers Prime, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Steve Kriozere (N.C.I.S., Femme Fatales), and David E. Williams (editor-in-chief, GEEKMagazine).

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »
I 2nd the Roger Rabbit panel! I squealed when I saw it!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Along the same vein as the above, but for television:

The Character of Music
Composer and executive poducer teams discuss the dynamics of music in film and television. Bear McCreary and Jonathan Steinberg (Black Sails), Brian Reitzell and Bryan Fuller (Hannibal), and Dino Meneghin and Jeff Davis (Teen Wolf) will all discuss their working relationship, how music plays a character in their stories and the intense process of scoring their projects. The panel will be moderated by director of film and TV relations Anne Cecere of BMI and Chandler Poling, president of White Bear PR and feature a Q&A. Attendees will get a sneak peek into the work and receive fun giveaways.

Friday July 19, 2013 3:00pm - 4:00pm

Room 32AB

that is interesting; thanks for pointing it out!  TV composing might be even more fascinating because you not only have long-form storytelling that could literally last over 20 hours at a time, but I wonder how much (or little) lead time goes into composing/recording TV music.  I know in film the music score is one of the last elements down, and some composers (like John Williams) demand to see a work print pretty far in advance before they even agree to take a job (so that way they know exactly what ideas, narrative, themes, etc they need to 'enhance' with music).  I imagine TV is under a shorter time span so this would be interesting.  I've heard Bear McCreary talk before about his work with BSG, and it's fascinating to hear these guys vocalize their thought process and how they sometimes have to work with show runners far in advance in order to properly musically accentuate stuff (think "All Along the Watchtower" with BSG and how long the variations on that theme were featured before it finally was paid off)!

Thanks again for pointing this out!

Offline MovelessJaggers

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Ode To Nerds at 1:45 Thursday has Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club) and D.C. Pierson (awesome LA comedian and Improv performer). It seems like it will be a great time.

Offline ice9

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 05:16:53 AM »
Ode To Nerds at 1:45 Thursday has Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club) and D.C. Pierson (awesome LA comedian and Improv performer). It seems like it will be a great time.
Oh i missed that. Thank you for pointing it out.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »

I skimmed right over this! FC is one of my favorite movies.  Thanks for posting this!
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »
Here are just 3 of mine:

The Power of Geek: Superfandom and Why Brands, Media, and the World at Large Want In

Max Brooks: Zombie Survival and Extinction Parade Insights

Your Opinion Sucks! Rotten Tomatoes Critics vs. Fans

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
Max Brooks: Zombie Survival and Extinction Parade Insights
Good one-I totally missed it! Thanks!
Ang

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
The two I'm looking at are:

The Scoop at Simon and Schuster
Thursday July 18, 2013 7:00pm - 8:00pm

What's Up with Penguin!
Friday July 19, 2013 7:00pm - 8:00pm

There's a free t-shirt for The Mortal Instruments being given out at The Scoop at Simon and Schuster and there's giveaways including advanced reader copies at the Penguin panel. Robert Kirkman is also on a million panels I'm noticing - I found at least one a day with him that I want to get to.
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)

Offline RDlenix

• Freebie Table
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
Comics Arts Conference Session #2: Geek Therapy: How Superheroes Empower All of Us
Psychologist Patrick O'Connor (The Chicago School of Professional Psychology; Comicspedia) and licensed psychotherapist Josué Cardona (Geek Therapy podcast) discuss geek culture, the psychology of superheroes, and the therapeutic value of comics. Laura Vecchiolla and Elizabeth Smith (The Chicago School of Professional Psychology) and licensed psychologists Frank Gaskill and Dave Verhaagen (Southeast Psych) join them to provide the ultimate expertise on the healing power of superheroes. Travis Langley (Batman and Psychology: A Dark and Stormy Knight) moderates.
Thursday July 18, 2013 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Room 26AB

As someone going into the field of psychology (about to complete a bachelor's degree), this one is super cool to me. I know people who have gotten their PsyDs at the Chicago School so that is a cool connection. I also think this is super relevant, especially if you look at sites like Tumblr and see how much comic books and the movies based off of them help people get through life. Media has a huge influence on psychology and I think this will be a cool panel for someone like me who is interested in people on this level.
Writer for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC 2009 + 2013 | Wondercon 2011 | RCCC 2014 +2015 (Press) | NYCC 2014, 2015, 2016, & 2017 (Press) | Star Trek: Mission NY (Press)