Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79209 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #435 on: April 11, 2023, 08:05:33 AM »
Last time I was in NYC we did a Gilded Age walking tour and the guide said he thought the next season would center around how the wealthy New Yorkers wanted to marry their daughters to European aristocracy.  He recommended the book The Million Dollar Duchesses: How America’s Heiresses Seduced the Aristocracy, which I just finished.  It's an interesting, gossipy read and has many familiar family names.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2023, 12:22:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sadly when the lockdowns started, I thought I was going to have time to read all the books I have in my flat, but the opposite happened and I hadn’t read anything.

Oh man, same. My attention span was seriously affected by being stuck in my apartment all day, and then I got Covid and that made it worse. But I've been reading a lot more this year, even if a lot of the books I've been reading are re-reads.

I told myself I couldn't buy more books until I read some of the ones I have (buying books and reading books are two separate hobbies!), and then a few weeks ago I was in a Barnes & Noble that was moving and everything left in the store was 50% off. I bought like six books.

Books I've read recently: I LOVE A Marvellous Light by Freya Marske. It hit all my checkpoints, basically. I'm currently reading Half a Soul by Olivia Atwater and really enjoying it.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #437 on: Today at 05:00:29 AM »

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #437 on: April 29, 2023, 08:31:34 PM »
Last time I was in NYC we did a Gilded Age walking tour and the guide said he thought the next season would center around how the wealthy New Yorkers wanted to marry their daughters to European aristocracy.  He recommended the book The Million Dollar Duchesses: How America’s Heiresses Seduced the Aristocracy, which I just finished.  It's an interesting, gossipy read and has many familiar family names.

Have you watched Million Dollar American Princesses on the Smithsonian Channel? It's two seasons and talks about all of that, as well as, the movie stars like Grace Kelly who married royalty. It's pretty interesting and some of those women were sassy.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #438 on: April 29, 2023, 08:38:20 PM »
I'm in a book club so I'm currently reading "Horse".

BUT, I picked up "Then She Was Gone" by Lisa Jewell and "The Inheritance Games" by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. I've heard the first one is really good from several people and the second one interested me because it's about solving puzzles which I love. I'm obsessed with escape rooms and games that involve puzzles. And I love movies like National Treasure, Indiana Jones and The Davinci Code (and of course The Goonies) where they have to figure out clues.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #439 on: April 30, 2023, 03:12:08 PM »
Have you watched Million Dollar American Princesses on the Smithsonian Channel? It's two seasons and talks about all of that, as well as, the movie stars like Grace Kelly who married royalty. It's pretty interesting and some of those women were sassy.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I hadn't heard of this!  Thanks, I'll check it out!

Offline Amurphy599

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #440 on: November 15, 2023, 10:10:12 PM »
I read almost all Marvel Comics as a retailer I feel I still need to

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #441 on: November 15, 2023, 10:17:35 PM »
Finally got the last of the Year of Sanderson books. I haven't actually started reading any of them, so I'm gonna binge. Though not sure which one to start with. I may just go in chronological release order

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
Currently reading Animorphs. I was a huge fan of the series in grade-school and it was my introduction into sci-fi. Anyone else read this series?

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2023, 07:01:13 AM »
Currently reading Animorphs. I was a huge fan of the series in grade-school and it was my introduction into sci-fi. Anyone else read this series?

Me! I loved it as a kid, read them all. Recently Katherine Applegate was on a book tour for a different book but was also signing Animorphs and I got to speak to her and have her sign a couple that I brought. She was very sweet and loved talking Animorphs even though its been years. If you haven't already, check out the graphic novels illustrated by Chris Grine. They are true to the originals and his illustrations are great (a little kid-orientated, but that is the audience for them lol).

Offline Amurphy599

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #444 on: March 14, 2024, 10:46:08 AM »
I'm reading most all Age of Krokoa X-men its the best world building for X-men since the Claremont age