Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: ChatBox turned off please use DISCORD -- LINK inside  (Read 6555 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: ChatBox turned off please use DISCORD -- LINK inside
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they don't have forum account they won't exactly be contributing on the forum to add to the activity either. I see it as just a perk of joining the community versus lurking.

As with any forum, the vast majority of readers don't contribute.  That's just how it is.  But those lurkers contribute in their own way.  For most forums that run off of ads, they generate revenue for the forum.  Even without ads, someone who does contribute is more willing to contribute if they know that their contribution will be read by hundreds of people instead of tens.  If not many people will read a post, then there's really no reason to post.

I found it lacking in activity in previous cons also not just this year. Like theres a big shift on how much posts there is pre con versus during con. With Discord there's a lot of active users during con since its just as easy as sending a text to get messages out. Maybe its just me but I found that people would post stuff as things are going on more in discord versus in previous years on the forum people would post after it already happened at con so you would still be missing out. Or you wouldn't see it before its too late. With discord you can set notifications to what you like and it will notify you if something pertaining to your interests shows up.

Having it in discord makes it private.  Especially to a search engine.  So if people are searching for sites that will help them stay current during comic-con, this site will simply not show up if everyone is on discord during that time.  Also having it on discord loses that information for future reference.  As what tends to happen, people look back to previous years in the forum to see what to expect this coming year.  But if all those posts happen on discord, then there's nothing to look back upon.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:56:10 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
I found this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login not sure how well it will play with the forum.

I would have to change the permissions on the server to make it open so that you no longer have the read the rules page and select the attendee role to see the rest of the channels. I think you’d still need a discord account to post.

Here's another way to do it.  Instead of integrating something into SMF, just have a discord powered chatbox share the page with SMF in an iframe.  An iframe can be embedded into a SMF powered forum.  Nothing has to change with the SMF server.  It's just inserting a line of HTML code.  It can be put into the space where the old chatbox was.

Here's the software to run a discord backed chatbox in an iframe.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:54:17 AM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 06:37:37 AM »
I really don't want to sound harsh, but I don't understand telling others the dischord should be removed and not used.
I think last year everyone that used it found it EXTREMELY helpful.
So are you asking them to stop using something that made the con better for them?
As technology changes I think it's for sure better to evolve with it, as if you get stuck in the same ole ways you will miss out.

Or you can dig up my geocities page about the cool things coming to SDCC next year.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
If they don't have forum account they won't exactly be contributing on the forum to add to the activity either. I see it as just a perk of joining the community versus lurking.

A limited number of folks did use that part, the Chatbox, as an informal place to post during badge sales.  Chat area got way more activity that the Returning and Open Registration threads during the Live Sales. And forum members who participated even offered extra Registration advice, even as they ran their own groups.

In sales, the Chatbox, which still required you to sign in to view and add posts, could also be popped out as a separate window, "physically split" from the forum. No one could lurk the chat until they had already signed in. We did try to archive Chat successes in the forum threads the last few years, to honor those contributions, though!

I found it lacking in activity in previous cons also not just this year. Like theres a big shift on how much posts there is pre con versus during con. With Discord there's a lot of active users during con since its just as easy as sending a text to get messages out. Maybe its just me but I found that people would post stuff as things are going on more in discord versus in previous years on the forum people would post after it already happened at con so you would still be missing out. Or you wouldn't see it before its too late. With discord you can set notifications to what you like and it will notify you if something pertaining to your interests shows up.

We set it up super last minute last year so I can see why that split happened and some were left in the dark. But I just think discord lends itself to rapid spread of information better than the forum can handle. Like the forum is great for long form discussion and searching for info but if you need something time sensitive sent out Discord is better. The Discord group had a lot of success when it came to the RSVPs and event tickets as the role notifications would tell everyone to get on and sign up. The forum would have it posted at roughly the same time and we had better luck getting tickets than those outside because its just easier to get notified with Discord and see something new is up that needs your attention.

It seemed that Chatbox was being used as a Messenger perk, for it's Live function, during sales. I think if previous Chat participants saw us using Discord more (and surviving it's learning curve), they'd feel more comfortable.

The issue I see with this is that it splits the forum.  There will be people that never use discord.  At best, now we have to monitor two sites.  This was a problem during the last comic-con.  I never looked at discord.  Some posts made on this site weren't seen until later.  I don't understand why making and reading posts on this website is so slow that we need discord.  Messages show up instantly.  It's quite common to have a real time dialog using posts.

May I suggest that instead of disposing of the chatbox, that it be re-implemented using discord as it's back end.  It's possible to embed a discord discussion onto a page.  That way, this site can still be the common place for all friends to meet.

Yes, a Chatbox or similar replacement will be needed for Open Registration, IMO. 

Chat Messages posted Live results a lot quicker than forum thread posts. If Chat is moved to Discord, it may allow for Tapatalk users, and those on work-restrcted devices, to view all aspects of these sales during real time.

Forum threads have the drawback of a frequency limit of how often you can post in the thread, the "your last post was 30 seconds ago, please wait" problem.  I'm also not a current Discord user, though I'm getting close to acceptance.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 11:51:48 AM »
I really don't want to sound harsh, but I don't understand telling others the dischord should be removed and not used.
I think last year everyone that used it found it EXTREMELY helpful.
So are you asking them to stop using something that made the con better for them?
As technology changes I think it's for sure better to evolve with it, as if you get stuck in the same ole ways you will miss out.

Or you can dig up my geocities page about the cool things coming to SDCC next year.
I believe he's trying to tell Admins how to integrate Discord into the forum. He's also saying that moving "during con" over there means that we haveno way now to search or look up things people were saying during Con in the past, so that's something we lose with the Discord.

I've had similar concerns. Without integrating it somehow people are just going to choose one or the other. One of the best things about this forum is the archives and discussions. It's really the only place on the internet to get the real picture and reliable advice from real conheads.

Anyone can use as they wish and what they wish, but attempts at or ideas about integrating are certainly welcome by me. Searching Discord isn't my favorite thing......guess we will see how it progresses. I find the "advancements" in communication technology definitely don't favor substance, which is disappointing to me most of the time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »
fyi, i'm loving all the feedback -- this is a community run by its' members and as such i try and keep it on track for us all.

the reality is technology is changing and we have to change with it. evolve or die which means trying to use the engine of discord to our benefit

but we do have choices- we're trying to sort out the solution suggested by [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] however irl time issues and knowledge base become hurdles

i can also throw money at the problem & sort out the old chat box... tbh, i was contemplating deprecating it anyway tho

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »
The problem with Discord is that the chat happens so fast and it is difficult to follow unless you are on it constantly. On FoCC, if I am working for 6-8 hours, I can come and easily find the new messages and catch up and participate by responding to the specific things that are relevant. On Discord, everything is buried so quickly that you can really only respond if you are on at the time the original message is posted. Yes there was a lot of information posted during the con this year, but I missed the majority of it because I was busy during the con. I checked in a couple of times a day and found way too many messages to sort through.

Essentially, Discord is designed for short-term chat and discussion. Discussion during a badge sale is ideally suited to Discord. But the forums are suited for long-term discussions, and archiving of old discussions/information. IMHO, this is far more valuable than immediate chat needs. 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 12:37:13 PM »
The problem with Discord is that the chat happens so fast and it is difficult to follow unless you are on it constantly. On FoCC, if I am working for 6-8 hours, I can come and easily find the new messages and catch up and participate by responding to the specific things that are relevant. On Discord, everything is buried so quickly that you can really only respond if you are on at the time the original message is posted. Yes there was a lot of information posted during the con this year, but I missed the majority of it because I was busy during the con. I checked in a couple of times a day and found way too many messages to sort through.

Essentially, Discord is designed for short-term chat and discussion. Discussion during a badge sale is ideally suited to Discord. But the forums are suited for long-term discussions, and archiving of old discussions/information. IMHO, this is far more valuable than immediate chat needs. 
My plan is ....
focc is for everyday longterm chat, discord for quick moving stuff like badge sale for general folks (not buying groups) swag drops & line updates at con etc. the heart of the community is the forum-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »

That's basically how it is now. The discord is pretty quiet until something new drops that people get notified about or everyone is onsite at con. There's more regular discussion here at all other times.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »
Essentially, Discord is designed for short-term chat and discussion.

That's exactly what discord is.  It's teamspeak for people while playing multiplayer games.  What happened 15 seconds ago let alone 15 minutes ago is old news.  No one cares.  It's about what to do right now.  You go left, I'll go right.  That's also why it's private.  The last thing a team wants is for the rival team to eavesdrop on tactics.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 09:26:51 AM »
Short term is fine for me...
I know some people like the archive, but it does nothing for me.
Much like the con itself lots of different things that interest all people.