Author Topic: SDCC Special Edition Reviews  (Read 6774 times)

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
Re: SDCC Special Edition Reviews
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...any other reviews...

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 10:59:28 PM »
To be fair:
1) the museum was never supposed to open until 2021; they had to do a MASSIVE indoor overhaul of the space to prep it for opening, and the plan was always to have it open 2021 (originally summer 2021, so it WAS delayed a few months)

The opening date has been a rolling target.  When it was first announced in 2017, the opening was supposed to have been in 2019.  Then it was 2020.  Then it was 2021.  Now it's being emphasized that this is a "soft opening".  The "grand opening" is scheduled for July 2022.

They have had to do a lot of work.  Based on the 2 year old gossip I heard, the initial efforts were to stabilize the building.  That alone was expensive.  Now the work can begin to transform the interior space.  Right now, it's still pretty much the same as when the Sports Museum left.  They've shown sketches of what it's intended to be when it's done.  It's a multiyear project.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:03:33 AM »

Offline lolwatsyk

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 10:19:35 AM »
Local resident, my sister and our group has been going since 2012. We bought our passes with the main goal being a chance at pre-reg (although we thought it would be for 2022, not 2023 as this thread informs me). We didn't expect much, the words "sad little con" were mentioned once the program was released since we usually focus on the big TV/Movie panels.

WE HAD A BLAST!!! Our group was me, my sister and brother in law, all vets. My boyfriend attended for the first time after years of trying. And my 15yo niece who came when she was a kid which was before her current anime obsession. So it was almost like her first time as well.

Pros: Lines were shorter and easier to navigate because you could see both the beginning and the end at the same time. The random smaller panels like "What's in a Name" and "Fantasy Draft" were hilarious and enjoyable. We spent most of our panel time in 7AB and 6DE which basically had zero lines once the panels started.

We walked the entire floor the first day but it was a cursory, obligatory browse just to say that our eyes "saw" it all. On Sat we walked it again, more slowly, purposefully, taking our time. I had to work Sunday but my bf went, and still spent all day Sun on the floor shopping.

I FINALLY GOT TO DONATE BLOOD!!!! (Tried for the last 2 years and just barely missed the iron count). Loved having it at the Marriott instead of Hyatt. Closer, easier to get to, and easier walk back.

Didn't even check the offsites, or walk around the gaslamp but didn't feel like I needed to.

Ample rest/break/eating areas and I loved it.

Cons: I commented that this seemed like the easiest year to sneak into. Walking through the front doors or the doors to the exhibit hall security didn't pay much attention. We held our badges (did they ever explain why the sharpie??) and covid wristbands up out of habit but no one ever stopped us to check.

Did the feedback panel address the red swag bags having ink rub off? I thought my hand was bleeding at one point lol

Neutral: Didn't get swag more than a Legion M button but most of my swag from previous years is sitting in a tote in the garage right now. Its about the thrill, but not super necessary.

No eating in the panel room was ROUGH at first because that is traditionally where my group does it lol But once we realized we actually had time in between panels to eat it didn't matter

Overall: my group had a great time, we hope that some of the smaller elements stick around but wouldn't mind a bit more mainstream content.

EDIT: MAJOR PRO I ALMOST FORGOT: the Masquerade!!! I had never gone before, always been kinda curious, and it was AWESOME. We didn't get to stay past the Squid Games/Star Wars dance crew interludes but honestly, it was incredible. The "Count" hecklers towards the back were funny, are they actually traditional like I heard them claim at one point? Lol
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:42:11 AM by lolwatsyk »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 05:35:46 PM »

Did the feedback panel address the red swag bags having ink rub off? I thought my hand was bleeding at one point lol

Ha! I encountered this as well.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2021, 08:34:17 AM »
I FINALLY GOT TO DONATE BLOOD!!!! (Tried for the last 2 years and just barely missed the iron count). Loved having it at the Marriott instead of Hyatt. Closer, easier to get to, and easier walk back.
YES; same with me!!  For 20 years I've always thought about donating blood at Comic-Con, and was never able to make the time for one reason or another.  I have actually _never_ donated blood before in CA (I did when I was in college at Ohio State in the mid-90's), so it was fun to actually be able to do this for a change.  I was told I was a "good, fast bleeder," which was the oddest compliment I've ever gotten  :P

Cons: I commented that this seemed like the easiest year to sneak into. Walking through the front doors or the doors to the exhibit hall security didn't pay much attention. We held our badges (did they ever explain why the sharpie??) and covid wristbands up out of habit but no one ever stopped us to check.
Interesting experience; we not only had to constantly show our COVID wristbands (my oldest kid wore long sleeves all weekend and was constantly having to hike the sleeve up entering Exhibit Hall/Convention Center), and once over the weekend a security asked me to flip my badge around to ensure I actually was indeed wearing a Comic-Con badge and not an identically backed random badge.

No eating in the panel room was ROUGH at first because that is traditionally where my group does it lol But once we realized we actually had time in between panels to eat it didn't matter
Same, but in my (fairly slim) experience that wasn't strongly enforced.  It was actually enforced harder by my 7 year old, who yelled at me for drinking water during a panel.  I didn't try to eat anything, though I wanted to...

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2021, 08:28:31 PM »
I went and met up with some friends and we had a great time, but it’s not something for which I would fly across the country year after year.

Con floor could definitely have been done in a day. I bought some comics but there weren’t many bargains … I’m sure that’s just the state of that market and had nothing so do with the mini con.

No regrets at all! And I’ll definitely be there next summer.

Coming from Florida I thought they did a good job with Covid precautions but out in the Gaslamp it could get a little loose. Still nowhere near as sketchy as Any Town in Florida.

Offline lolwatsyk

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »
YES; same with me!!  For 20 years I've always thought about donating blood at Comic-Con, and was never able to make the time for one reason or another.  I have actually _never_ donated blood before in CA (I did when I was in college at Ohio State in the mid-90's), so it was fun to actually be able to do this for a change.  I was told I was a "good, fast bleeder," which was the oddest compliment I've ever gotten  :P
Interesting experience; we not only had to constantly show our COVID wristbands (my oldest kid wore long sleeves all weekend and was constantly having to hike the sleeve up entering Exhibit Hall/Convention Center), and once over the weekend a security asked me to flip my badge around to ensure I actually was indeed wearing a Comic-Con badge and not an identically backed random badge.
Same, but in my (fairly slim) experience that wasn't strongly enforced.  It was actually enforced harder by my 7 year old, who yelled at me for drinking water during a panel.  I didn't try to eat anything, though I wanted to...

Hahaha, same, it was also my very first time donating ever!! Very organized and pleasant experience. And same lol They said my bad was filled before I realized it and that it went quicker than they expected lol

Nope, that wasn't what we encountered at all. We showed them out of habit but most security wasn't even looking at us as we entered, it was very odd.

Hahaha we only ate quickly between the first panels we saw, we didn't eat during so as not to be rude (and super obvious about it). We could tell how hard they were reminding everyone to keep their masks on and so we didn't want to make things harder for staff.