Author Topic: State made a error on my wife's ID will this be a problem?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline thewiredknight

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
My wife needed to replace her state ID recently and the state inadvertently only put her maiden name on it.  Trouble is we got married years ago and she has since hyphenated.  Consequently her SDCC member ID and her 2022 badge read her hyphenated married name and not her maiden only as it says on her ID.  Is this going to be a problem for SDCC at all or should we be okay?

Edit:  I already contacted SDCC on this and am waiting to hear back but am looking for some input in the event I have to wait long to hear back from SDCC.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: State made a error on my wife's ID will this be a problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 02:36:00 PM »
Well....I have never seen them check IDs to get in.  If anything I could see it being a problem if her vaccination card doesn't match her ID.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:22:23 AM »

Offline larry999

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 02:41:36 PM »
If I'm reading this right she should be okay.

Let's use the fake name Mary Johnson-Smith as an example.

ID: Mary Johnson
Badge: Mary Johnson-Smith

Seems close enough to me. I doubt they'd give her a hard time.

Offline thewiredknight

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »
That's what I'm hoping; it seems clear enough on paper but you never know if somebody decides to be anal about it.  It's the vaccination card I'm most worried about since the card says her hyphenated name but her ID says her maiden name; and this is the only point I expect SDCC to check ID (save for lost badges).

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 06:56:21 PM »
Does her passport (I mean federal passport, not a vaccine passport)) list the correct name? Not saying you may want to carry that around at the convention but at least take a photo of your phone and/or maybe keep it at the hotel if need be? Or some other ID as a backup.

But in any event hopefully you will get a clarification email you can rely on  :)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 08:34:09 PM »
I don't foresee this being an issue SDCC won't overlook, but your state ID in general is pretty important that it matches. You never know when someone will be particularly finnicky about it. But like stl_ben said, I'd be more worried about the vaccine records not matching the new ID.

I assume that she's already filed the official name change with your state and legally her name is hyphenated gov't procedure wise? Seeing as it was a mistake on their end, I imagine there will be no fee for replacing/reissuing it with the correct information, which usually only takes a few weeks from receipt of the paperwork, and I imagine every state has ways to address this though of course I don't now which state you're in (if you're US that is.) We're still over two months out from SDCC and there's time to hopefully address this discrepancy before even coming out here for it. If you haven't already, look up what to do if they issue an ID with incorrect information and request a replacement ASAP. Though, if they do insist on charging a fee, like I said, it's pretty important to have accurate identification and it's probably worth the money for a reissue.

Also, if you have record of the name change being filed, bring that with the incorrect ID if you have to. When places require identification, there's usually a section that's like, "If your name has changed from the record being used, bring proof of the name change..." or something like that. I understand that since it's been years, you may no longer have that easily accessible (though ideally you should either way,) but that's also an option.

As for people checking IDs, they'll be doing it this year for vaccine cards I believe, usually not badges unless you're picking a badge up in Sails, but I believe TJ is one of the people who have always said they've witnessed some random ID checks by security. It does happen.

Good luck though! This sucks, especially as you didn't have control over it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:36:33 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 09:47:47 PM »
I have not witnessed ID checks. I was once personally asked to show the name on my badge (I had it covered up for privacy reasons) and once I had to show a birth certificate for my 13 year old who was getting a child badge.

But I have heard that supposedly there are ID checks… they’ve taken on a mythical status.

I do believe that they ask you for ID if you go to the Badge Solutions desk

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 09:50:55 PM »
Damn, it was someone else then fml I definitely remember a few people here have seen people be asked to show ID, though I don't know much else about them.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 01:29:05 AM »
I've actually seen the mythical ID check done once forgot the exact circumstances why it was done but it was at the front doors midday I had somewhere to go so didn't stick around to see much. It was only 1 time in like the 9 years I went to con its not something to be super worried about.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 01:40:52 AM by Car_Low »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 08:17:56 AM »
Honestly, at CCSE and WonderCon, they almost never checked to even see if you had a badge. What they really wanted to see was your wristband form the vaccine/negative test check.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 10:16:15 AM »
If you're talking getting badge, likely not a problem at all.  Those will be mailed and once you get your badge they've never checked ID verification w/badge.
If you're talking vaccination check, _probably_ not.  They DID check pic ID w/vax card to verify identity, but if all the other info is the same the volunteer may not really care