Author Topic: Junior badge questions - ageing out, incorrect type  (Read 2014 times)

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
Junior badge questions - ageing out, incorrect type
« on: November 09, 2022, 02:07:40 PM »
I'm not sure if this can be answered given the new process but I'm wondering if anyone knows the following:
  • How does one age out of a junior badge? I don't see any field to say I'm x age online. Is it required to pick it up at the convention (and thus that's how they get you?)
  • Somehow one person in our buying group incorrectly set his badge as junior when he's not one. What will happen to him? Is there any way to cure his badge without messing up or losing his badge?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Junior badge questions - ageing out, incorrect type
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 02:22:35 PM »
Wen you create a Member ID account, you have to set the month and year of your birth date. CCI uses this to determine your age, and therefore whether you are a junior, adult, or senior. As you age, your category automatically changes.

If someone in your group is listed a a junior, that means that they did not correctly set their birthdate when they created their Member ID account. They will have to contact CCI to get them to adjust this. CCI is generally pretty helpful with these things, so I suspect that they will just charge him the additional cost for the adult badge.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:26:24 AM »

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 03:18:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wen you create a Member ID account, you have to set the month and year of your birth date. CCI uses this to determine your age, and therefore whether you are a junior, adult, or senior. As you age, your category automatically changes.

If someone in your group is listed a a junior, that means that they did not correctly set their birthdate when they created their Member ID account. They will have to contact CCI to get them to adjust this. CCI is generally pretty helpful with these things, so I suspect that they will just charge him the additional cost for the adult badge.

So I thought that may have been the case, but looking at the guide, under the new system it looks like one sets the badge type manually (see steps 6 and 7): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

No mention of setting birthdates at all during the registration process, unless there's a step not listed here. This person had setup a new account under the new system.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 04:05:06 PM »
I'd have them contact CCI and confess.  They might have to pay the difference, but I can't see CCI cancelling the badge.  It's not any easier to get a junior badge than a regular or senior badge, it was obtained legitimately.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
I'm not sure if this can be answered given the new process but I'm wondering if anyone knows the following:
  • How does one age out of a junior badge? I don't see any field to say I'm x age online. Is it required to pick it up at the convention (and thus that's how they get you?)
  • Somehow one person in our buying group incorrectly set his badge as junior when he's not one. What will happen to him? Is there any way to cure his badge without messing up or losing his badge?
FWIW it doesn't _really_ matter.  Due to COVID and 2020 badges being reverted to 2022, my almost 21 year old kid had a "Junior" badge at 2022 SDCC (because they weren't 18 when 2020 badge was purchased in 2019).  When I got their badge the other day for 2023, they were half-joking about how they'll finally 'graduate' up to a non-Junior badge now that they'll be old enough to legally buy booze well before SDCC 2013 starts  :P

(also, FWIW, I've had friends who have obtained badges through not-recommended means that were Junior badges, as 30+ year olds, and had zero problems). 
I would say provided the badge isn't for an obvious adult, you'll likely OK at this point and I'd just make sure everything is updated for next time

I'd have them contact CCI and confess.  They might have to pay the difference, but I can't see CCI cancelling the badge.  It's not any easier to get a junior badge than a regular or senior badge, it was obtained legitimately.
We did this last year, and CCI told us to not worry about it, enjoy the show, and "it'll get sorted out next year"