Author Topic: NYCC Introductions  (Read 10815 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6994
NYCC Introductions
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
Hi All,
Since this is a newish area for a Con on the other side of the county from SDCC, i figured the forum could use a introduction area for NYCC.

I'll start it off, I started the Friendsofcci forum so people would have a place to answer & ask questions without being flamed, record history and develop a community.  The forum went live about 2 years ago mostly about the San Diego Comic Con. 

I attended NYCC for the first time last year & had a great time. I wasn't overly fond of the Javis Center however. I'm not able to attend this year due to the expense and my sons school schedule.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
NYCC Introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
Hi. I am Kevin. I will be attending NYCC this year on a 3 day pass. This will be my second one. I agree that I am not a fan of Javitts either and the exhibit hall floor is much smaller than SDCC.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: NYCC Introductions
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:23:46 AM »

Offline BigJoe

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »
Hi my name is Joe and I am a NYCC junkie. I will be there from setup Wednesday to breakdown Sunday.  I have been every year as a fan that Reedpop has had the show except for one before that I had been to many of the Javitts shows pre Reedpop back in the beginning days of Valiant and Image.  This year I will be officially working at the show as an exhibitor as well as there as a fan.  I am an exclusives purchaser and reseller as well as a fan.  This year I am bringing an organized group of over 25 people with me.  I'll be happy to help anybody and everybody I can with info, help grabbing exclusives, or help getting signing tickets if I can.  Feel free to ask.  I really enjoy meeting my fellow fans from all over the country and all over the world.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
Wow DrWho_42, both nycc and sdcc? nice!  **jealous** <grin>

BigJoe, if you take any pic's i'm sure people would be interested in seeing the some of the set up process!
That's a very generous offer, careful of what you offer tho, someone is likely to take you up on it<as i run off to check the exclusives list>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline supamike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
My names Mike T and this will be my first NYCC and my first trip to NYC also. Im a long time comics fan and finally decided to come to NY for con and ive always wanted to visit the city. I came across this page on the NYCC facebook page and its been a real help to me.A 100 Thank You's to the ppl that contribute to it!! I bought the 3 days pass and also a Thursday single day pass,so hopefully i can get everything i want to do accomplished. Which is getting some books signed,taking pics of ppl and the city and making new friends :)

Offline BigJoe

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
I hadn't thought much of taking pics of setup Allysa.  Good idea.  I'll send out the crew with exhibitor passes and cameras during set up once we are done setting up our booth.  Hopefully I won't drive anyone too nuts with pics from the floor on Wednesday and Thursday before the doors open.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »
Hola. I'm Barb and I'm no stranger to the forums. This will be my 3rd NYCC and my friend from Chicago is coming out to go for the first time! My first year was 2011 (I think, it was Avengers year) and we did the weekend. Then last year I only went for a day, Saturday. This time around it'll be the weekend again.

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »
Hi All,

I’m Mike and this will be my 5th NYCC and as some of you know I just did my first SDCC. I will admit after experiencing both cons now SDCC is a completely different con, my opinion is mainly because of the movie studio presence on the exhibit floor, but NYCC is still a tremendous amount of fun and an equally good time can be had. I myself have progressed from weekend badge holder to VIP badges so this year I am hoping for some killer panels.

I live in NYC, one of the outer boroughs, so for me this con is home and I see myself going for the foreseeable future. You can find me lurking here and the NYCC FB page, trying to be helpful in both places, in between working during the day and looking out
for the mean people Aly mentioned

I will try to update information as soon as I can!

And Aly give it another try last year the Javitts had construction making it worse but they are said to be done for this year! Is the budget issue because of Hasbro this year, I know my wallet is hurting. LOL
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »
Hi, my name is Miguel. I've live in NYC too and been going to every NYCC since 2006, when it was just in one hall in the lower level. The last two years, I've been a volunteer/crew member.

I've never been to SDCC, due to lack of funds. But I became interested interest in comic-con, after watching/reading about SDCC. I don't read a ton of comics. But I'm big fan of DC and Marvel animated and live-action properties. I'm also into alot of films, anime, and video games.

Parts of the Javits have been closed off in the past, due to construction/renovations. But that should be all done this year. The exhibit floor will be larger this year.

Offline zammap

• Exhibit Hall
    • www.zammap.com
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
Zammap here. Been going to NYCC since 07. Didn't go to the first one because 16 year old me hadn't peeked in my geekdom yet. As a NY native with no car I'm limited to the small cons in the area. Happy that I have NYCC.  I'm a cosplayer and freelance illustrator. One day I will have to give up the cosplay life and be a full time artist, stuck behind a booth the whole weekend lol. Comic con is my life!

Offline Jumping Jehosaphat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
Hi! Jumping Jehosaphat here :). This will be my first NYCC. I couldnt help myself and went for the VIP 4-day pass. I live in Kentucky and work in laboratory.
 I originally joined friendsofcci looking for rooms/roommates for NYCC a few months ago, and I have found the boards to be a great help and fun, especially when I found myself with last minute tickets to SDCC this year.
 I am really looking forward to NYCC. When I was deciding if I wanted to go, I looked over previous years guests, and I was sold. I am really looking forward to having a great time in October! Last time I was in NYC was 10 years ago XD.

Offline ahndrayuh

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »
'ello I'm Andrea  O0

This will be my 3rd year attending NYCC. I love nycc for different reasons other than the exhibit floor (the exhibit floor sucks imo).

here's to counting down for nycc! ;) <3

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
welcom to the forumms all

Andrea what's your issue with the exhibit floor. I am a exhibit floor junkie myself
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline ahndrayuh

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
welcom to the forumms all

Andrea what's your issue with the exhibit floor. I am a exhibit floor junkie myself

Don't get me wrong I normally love the exhibit floor, it's where all of the fandom happens but I think after going to sdcc and attending small conventions, I've been spoiled with attendees knowing how to walk around the floor.

I personally just think NYCC isn't used the same type of exhibit floor crowds as SDCC..my friends and I had a number of run in's where people would completely STOP right in the middle of the aisle. hahaha!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »
ahh my pet peeve, sudden stop in the middle of an aisle....by sat of sdcc, i was talking loudly to myself about people who stopped in front of me...doing a good imitation of a crazy person

If anyone is interested i do have some friends of cci lanyards still.  they're $9 + $3 for shipping