Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79313 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #420 on: May 15, 2021, 07:37:12 PM »
Rhythm of War: Book Four of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.  Epic series, but a really good read.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2021, 01:48:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Rhythm of War: Book Four of The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.  Epic series, but a really good read.
I’m totally into Sanderson. I’ve read virtually everything he’s written including ROW. I was able to get him to sign some books for me the last time he was at SDCC a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #422 on: Today at 12:57:50 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #422 on: May 30, 2021, 02:25:57 PM »
I've read a couple of great making-of film books:
"Made Men: The Making of Goodfellas and the Reboot of the American Gangster Picture" by Glenn Kenny You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"Alright, Alright, Alright: The Oral History of Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused" by Melissa Maerz You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"Alright, Alright, Alright" is a great oral history that talked to nearly EVERYONE involved in making that film, and is a great peak inside indie filmmaking (to be fair: it was 'indie' in sensibility for the most part, though writer/director Linklater's first studio film w/a mostly professional crew).  As a huge Scorsese fan I knew A LOT of what was in "Made Men" but it's also a good read.  I read "Made Men" in only a few days, and "Alright, Alright, Alright" in maybe a week so fairly quick reads for movie buffs

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2021, 05:48:02 PM »
I’m totally into Sanderson. I’ve read virtually everything he’s written including ROW. I was able to get him to sign some books for me the last time he was at SDCC a few years ago.

I thought he saved the Wheel of Time series.  As much as it started out really well, Jordan just seemed to have it plod along the last couple/the books he did.  Not to sound disrespectful for the deceased man, but Sanderson I thought did a phenomenal job.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #424 on: April 11, 2022, 06:51:49 AM »
I have a LCS that I do love, owner is great, yada yada. I want him to succeed, but there are times that Amazon can undercut him by $20 and sometimes is painful. Have any of you been in this position?

I'm trying to save for Europe but I want to support the comic shop, so where do you draw the line?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #425 on: April 11, 2022, 07:27:01 AM »
I have a LCS that I do love, owner is great, yada yada. I want him to succeed, but there are times that Amazon can undercut him by $20 and sometimes is painful. Have any of you been in this position?

I'm trying to save for Europe but I want to support the comic shop, so where do you draw the line?

I have told my students every year of my 43 year career to sell their body to science or whatever it took to get off this continent and see the world. I’ll support your comic shop while you're gone.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 08:10:02 AM by MickeyJack »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #426 on: April 11, 2022, 07:29:44 AM »
Ok! I'll just read on Hoopla, though it pains me, I do love the actual book.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #427 on: April 11, 2022, 07:31:37 AM »
Ok! I'll just read on Hoopla, though it pains me, I do love the actual book.

There’s nothing quite like the feel (and smell) of a real book.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #428 on: April 26, 2022, 08:37:48 PM »
After several failed attempts over the years, I'm finally plodding my way through The Silmarillion. For some reason, Tolkien's prose and sentence structure is off-putting to me, and I often have to re-read paragraphs to fully grok the passage. But I am now 1/3 of the way through, which is like 40 pages more than any other prior attempt.

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #429 on: May 05, 2022, 08:11:43 AM »
I am reading Brandon Sanderson’s cosmere books on repeat!

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #430 on: May 08, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »

Does he regularly come to SDCC? I know he said he has been creating more white space since COVID but I’m really hoping he is coming to SDCC

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #431 on: May 08, 2022, 03:34:52 PM »
He’s been there a few times, but I think the last time he was there was 2017 or 2018. I’ve gotten books signed by him there.

He hasn’t done any cons since the pandemic except his own con late last year (which I think he’ll host again this year).

He did mention not having any cons on his schedule allowed him to write those four secret books that he put on Kickstarter.

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #432 on: May 09, 2022, 05:28:52 AM »
Darn. I think we are trying to figure out if we can do SDCC and Dragonsteel Con next year. I have to get my leatherbound Mistborn books signed. And then we have Words of Radiance leatherbound coming out next year. Have you ordered Era 2 Book 4 yet?
I’m so excited for SPs. I haven’t watched any of the spoiler content. We got LB Elantris when we filled out our backerkit surveys, so we’re only missing LB Warbreaker.

I got my boss and working on another coworker reading Sanderson’s cosmere. I’m so excited to have office friends to talk to about it.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #433 on: April 11, 2023, 05:11:18 AM »
Sadly when the lockdowns started, I thought I was going to have time to read all the books I have in my flat, but the opposite happened and I hadn’t read anything. Recently realized I had no interest in the books in my home, so I went to the bookstore two weeks ago and bought two books I thought were interesting. I wanted to read more horror and mystery (but not like drugstore mystery y’know) so I bought the following: Home Before Dark (haunted house) and The Thursday Murder Club. Haven’t started on the latter however Home Before Dark is pretty easy and so far kept my attention.

Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2023, 06:40:41 AM »
Scene of the Crime by Ed Brubaker. Graphic Novel.  So far, so good. Last one was One Punch Man. I read 2 volumes and it was meh for me. Now, I'm not much into manga, so there's that.