Author Topic: NYCC Random chat  (Read 80914 times)

Offline smurph1125

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
Re: NYCC Random chat
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2018, 06:03:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did they check IDs at the Titan screening?

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYCC: 2014, 2015, WW Philly 2015, ACBC 2015, Great Philadelphia CC 2015

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2018, 04:00:25 AM »
Was it me or did anyone else feel like there was an inordinate amount of scalpers out this year?  I think I probably passed at least 20+ folks walking towards Javits saying the "who needs/has tickets" chant...just felt like a lot to me this year.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 03:30:26 PM »

Online dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2018, 06:24:47 AM »
Was it me or did anyone else feel like there was an inordinate amount of scalpers out this year?  I think I probably passed at least 20+ folks walking towards Javits saying the "who needs/has tickets" chant...just felt like a lot to me this year.

The odd thing about NYCC is that I never got anywhere near the convention center yesterday.  I got off the train, went to Hammerstein for some panels and then went to MSG for some panels.  Then, I had dinner at Tracks Bar and Grill in the station and went home on the train.

Even though I have a 4-day industry badge, work got really busy and I couldn't get out on Thursday and Friday.  I saw one late panel on Friday at Javits.  The scalpers weren't out at 7PM. The flow of foot traffic was leaving while I was arriving.

Maybe today is the day I see Javits in the daytime.  NYCC is such a different experience for me than SDCC.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2018, 08:27:44 AM »
The odd thing about NYCC is that I never got anywhere near the convention center yesterday.  I got off the train, went to Hammerstein for some panels and then went to MSG for some panels.  Then, I had dinner at Tracks Bar and Grill in the station and went home on the train.

Even though I have a 4-day industry badge, work got really busy and I couldn't get out on Thursday and Friday.  I saw one late panel on Friday at Javits.  The scalpers weren't out at 7PM. The flow of foot traffic was leaving while I was arriving.

Maybe today is the day I see Javits in the daytime.  NYCC is such a different experience for me than SDCC.

Same here. I did spend the early evening at Javits on Friday but that’s because I won a lottery for a late panel. But I’ve hardly spent time on the show floor at all. I also only bought two days this year and I still feel like I did everything I wanted to do this year.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
I agree. I spent ThursdY at Hammerstein and Shop Studios. I spent most of Saturday and today at MSG. I did one main stage panel at Javits on Saturday, and spent Friday morning on the Exhibit Floor, but spent Friday afternoon at offsites. Such a small percentage of time actually in the convention center over 4 days...

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2018, 02:28:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (bold = mine)

Home to heroes, dreamers, wizards, rebels, all Thank you for making #NYCC 2018 the best one yet! Save the date for 2019: October 3-6.

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »

I didn't pay attention to the scalpers, but I did pass someone selling the free lanyards to a first timer with two young people.  I got to her before she handed over any money.  He was selling them for $5 each.  He was not happy I prevented that sale.  There's no telling how many unsuspecting attendees he fleeced.

As for me...

I spent the bulk of my time on the show floor on Friday.  That was enough for me.  I went back Saturday to the Audible Books exposition for Harry Potter.  That's all I wanted to do.  I was out of there after that.  There weren't any panels I was interested in.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Ultron32

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
Nycc felt very tame this year all around. No great exclusives, free or paid. None of the panels I went to had any surprises, which are the most memorable things here.

It's nice that you can fit a ton of people in MSG, but it just feels so much less intimate than the main stage. Always feels like watching people instead of being in a room with them. I like the Shop Studios a lot for the opposite being true.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NYCC 2009-2021

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
Does any one else dislike the offsite venues for panels? Lots of reasons i dislike them. MSG and the Hammerstein are too far from the Javitz center. It makes it much more time consuming and difficult to go from a panel at say MSG and then go to the Javitz. Today i went to the Doctor who panel at MSG. It was over at 3:30pm. I wanted to go and walk the show floor one more time, maybe get some last minute deals on some stuff i had seen but by the time i got out of the garden and then the time it would have taken to walk over to Javitz it just didn't pay to do it with the show closing at 5pm. This happens every year sometimes on multiple days. If everything was in one venue i would have had plenty of time to walk the floor.
And don't get me started on the food situation at MSG and the Hammerstein. No outside food allowed in and  all they have at MSG is Hot dogs. I was at MSG all day on Saturday and it was really annoying only being able to get hot dogs all day. MSG rules just don't work for conventions.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »

Honestly, I rather like going to panels away from the chaos of the convention center. I do agree about the lack of food options at MSG though. I’ve been to several other conventions where outside food or drink was prohibited (SWCO, D23, RICC), but they at least have food options inside.

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »
Does any one else dislike the offsite venues for panels? Lots of reasons i dislike them. MSG and the Hammerstein are too far from the Javitz center. It makes it much more time consuming and difficult to go from a panel at say MSG and then go to the Javitz. Today i went to the Doctor who panel at MSG. It was over at 3:30pm. I wanted to go and walk the show floor one more time, maybe get some last minute deals on some stuff i had seen but by the time i got out of the garden and then the time it would have taken to walk over to Javitz it just didn't pay to do it with the show closing at 5pm. This happens every year sometimes on multiple days. If everything was in one venue i would have had plenty of time to walk the floor.
And don't get me started on the food situation at MSG and the Hammerstein. No outside food allowed in and  all they have at MSG is Hot dogs. I was at MSG all day on Saturday and it was really annoying only being able to get hot dogs all day. MSG rules just don't work for conventions.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I'm spoiled by San Diego Comic Con.  That fills my cup, so I'm not all that interested in the panels at NY.  I mostly do the show floor.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2018, 03:40:43 AM »
The problem is, Reed Pop seems determined to be as big as possible, Javits is under construction, and there is nothing within a block of Javits. Not to mention, it’s October and NY always gets the remnants of whatever hurricane or tropical storm is hitting.

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2018, 03:59:18 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I'm spoiled by San Diego Comic Con.  That fills my cup, so I'm not all that interested in the panels at NY.  I mostly do the show floor.
This one pretty much says it for me.  SDCC is my Mecca, so NYCC pretty much turns into the Exhibt Hall for a day, maybe 2 if I'm feeling it.  But no panel draws at Javits this year like I had to go.  Now I did catch Alex Ross at the Studio, but technically I didn't need a badge for that, I coulda just stuck with buying a ticket for him and that would've been it.

Already planning my Saturday of Returning Registration for SDCC2019 now...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »
No outside food allowed in and  all they have at MSG is Hot dogs. I was at MSG all day on Saturday and it was really annoying only being able to get hot dogs all day. MSG rules just don't work for conventions.

Wait a minute, you're not allowed to bring in outside food to MSG?? I was at the Riverdale panel Sunday morning and I walked in with a brown bag with a coffee, sausage egg & cheese on a roll, and an orange juice. No one stopped me. Next time, just hide food in a tote bag or backpack. I ate in my seat and none of the security guard bothered me.

I really don't like the MSG/Hammerstein ballroom stuff because it's too far of a walk. (Yes yes, I should be flogged for saying that because I'm a New Yorker...but dang it, I don't want to waste 15 minutes getting to and from places...time is valuable during Cons). The food situation sucks because the Javits in away from any business district. It's underdeveloped right now. I'd give it a few years when the new buildings have people moved in and then we'll see a whole lot more food stores opening up. The main reason I did Riverdale was because it was first thing in the morning and I knew I was going to be able to get good seats.

I did see/hear a scalper Thursday, but I didn't hear anymore after that. I was stopped by a kid Friday night asking for my badge if I wasn't going back inside. He said it was for a school project and that he was collecting them. I'm much more wary of giving my badge away to other people these days because they are tied to my account, so I told the kid no. I felt bad, but I can't help but be skeptical. What it he got caught doing something and they scanned his badge only to find my name, then I'd be in trouble yada yada yada. For all I knew, he would have tried to sell them to other people.

Did anyone else feel like Saturday was dead inside the Javits Center? Usually Saturdays are elbow to elbow, but this year wasn't the case. Sunday felt really bad though. A lot more people attended Thursday than Friday I thought.

I got started collecting enamel pins from SDCC last year so I was really happy to have seen the pin craze come to NYCC. I'm also happy that buttons are starting to look better this year. A lot more of them have a rubber coating on them instead of that shiny plastic cover. Better textures. :-D

Most of the panels I wanted to see this year were part of the lottery, and since I didn't win anything, I just wandered on the show floor or around the food truck area with all the cosplayers. I really liked the experiences and activations this year. The lines were relatively short and by far the Outlander swag was the best. I was able to get extra tote bags there, but missed out on Number 6 essential oil. The personalized engraving for the leather luggage tags was awesome. 
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
I forgot to add that the one thing that grinds my gears at NYCC is the connectivity. I have T-Mobile and my data sucked. And there was no site-wide Wi-Fi. Receiving and making phone calls no problem. Uploading to Instagram, checking Twitter, emails was a no go.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits