Author Topic: Cosplay Costume business  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Vantlin

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
Cosplay Costume business
« on: July 11, 2017, 12:15:59 AM »
Hello everyone,
I love making different costumes whether they are for cosplay or for halloween parties. I have this network of friends who have grown interested with the fact that I can sew my own costumes using a portable sewing machine that I bought from the local department stores. Now I'm thinking of evolving this talent into a small business. Do you think cosplay costume business is profitable?

Offline appaloosafire

• Freebie Table
  • A man of no consequence.
  • Liked: 9
Re: Cosplay Costume business
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »
Whether it would be profitable or not would depend on your exact skillset, like if you are only able to do simpler things such as shirts, pants and jackets, or if you have the ability to print custom fabrics, able to do wigs, build props, etc. I feel like there is a good amount of money to be made in cosplaying if you have all the right tools, are wholly dedicated and have a fair amount of skill.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:41:37 AM »

Offline Vantlin

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
And it requires investment too that is quite high for the materials, advertising and everything. thanks for your insights.

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
talk to a dressmaker. tales of girls busting out crying when a bottom seem is a half inch too high, or too low.... etc. you must look at all the information first.

also some projects may require parts that might not be easy to get quickly. (premade electronics for advanced toy props) customers seem to think 2 weeks notice is enough, when really a rolling 6 months is normally needed. and then after 6 months they do not want the item in question anymore, and may refuse to pay. esp. if that item is a 400$ prop and the girlfriend they would have gone to a convention with are no more. etc, etc, etc.

making small runs of props that noone else has and putting them up on ebay seems to work or some. but some people will buy your item and then make a mold of it and recast your work, then putting copies on ebay as well.

please look into a business before serious investment.