Author Topic: Nintendo NES / SNES  (Read 12795 times)

TravT77

Re: Nintendo NES
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 06:08:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't understand this. I kind of get why they didn't make enough at first, not knowing how it would do, but given demand why would they pull the plug? Or is the demand only because of lack of supply?

I believe that is exactly what they want.  By only releasing a few, they build up demand which keeps "Nintendo" on everyone's lips for a while longer. Just a marketing ploy, and it works. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop back up close to Christmas as a "Special Re-release"

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 06:11:28 AM »
I believe that is exactly what they want.  By only releasing a few, they build up demand which keeps "Nintendo" on everyone's lips for a while longer. Just a marketing ploy, and it works. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop back up close to Christmas as a "Special Re-release"

Genius move that would be... oh look what we found?!

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Nintendo NES / SNES
« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:12:51 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »
try target

Interestingly it shows stock at several stores close to me. (None of which I can get to at opening due to kids and school drop-off.) Will be curious to see what the site says over the next couple of hours, in addition to the big overall demand scalpers have a strong presence here in the SF bay area.

Is the nostalgia drive for the Nintendo NES Classic Edition due to just its content or the content plus the overall retro look of the product?

Think part of it is also that the popularity is feeding on itself. Certainly Nintendo didn't expect the level of demand, I would not have guessed it either. Now I'm in a weird spot, I am a bit caught up in the hype but deep down I know I don't really want the system all that much.

TravT77

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 08:08:25 AM »
Is the nostalgia drive for the Nintendo NES Classic Edition due to just its content or the content plus the overall retro look of the product?

I personally think it is awesome simply because I was about 10 years old when the originals came out and it was the most exciting thing I had EVER seen!  So, yeah, I think the look mixed with a little nostalgia for the simpler games (not requiring 15 buttons and triggers!!!) has really been the driving factor for these units.  Ahhh, I do miss Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Contra

Offline RTFirefly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »
I think that they are probably preparing the Switch Virtual Console service and they think that the NES Classic will cannibalize the sales there. 

I really think they need to come out with a cheap retro console that has an internet connection and an on-line store to make it easy for people to purchase the games rather than just downloading ROMs and using a Raspberry Pi as a retro console (RetroPi is pretty awesome).

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
SNES is may be the card to be played, with a grain of "Nintendo declined to comment" salt:

Out of the rumor mill and into the speculation machine, am I right? After what was considered to be a business faux pas last week by canceling the NES Classic Edition and suspending the Famicom Mini, Nintendo is apparently hard at work on developing a mini version of the SNES for the holidays.

The news was broken this morning by Eurogamer, who said that sources close to the company revealed to them that the SNES was in production and slated for a holiday release in 2017, and it alludes that the cancellation of the NES Classic Edition was to put those resources into the SNES version, which will probably be the same plug-and-play system as the last one. No details yet over which games will be included or how many at this time, but if it’s like the last one, you can assume it will be a combination of games made by Nintendo and third-party classic. Here’s hoping for Earthbound, Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy III and Street Fighter II to be added to that list. What do you think about this? Was it wise to cancel one to work on another?

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer. The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status.
Last week, Nintendo explained that it never intended NES mini to be a permanent product. From the company's perspective, the microconsole was planned as a cool novelty item perfect for Christmas 2016, and the numbers in which it was manufactured and shipped were expected to be enough to suit this goal. But NES mini ended up breaking out to become more popular than anticipated and quickly sold out, leading to a bustling resale market on eBay. NES mini shipments continued into the early part of this year, but its production run could not be extended further - as SNES mini was slated for production instead.

Hopefully, more stock of the SNES mini will be made available to avoid a repeat of the same shortages. The reality of a SNES mini is certainly exciting - while the NES was unique for being Nintendo's first home console, the SNES arguably boasts the better software line-up, and a catalogue of classics far more advanced than their NES forebears. Compare The Legend of Zelda on NES to A Link to the Past, for example, or Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country. For the SNES mini, Nintendo is expected to stick with the NES mini's plug-and-play setup, and its array of games which come preinstalled and ready to play. Nintendo declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
I would definitely want an SNES classic despite still owning an SNES (not sure how functional it still is though) 

Offline CaseyJones14

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
I would definitely want an SNES classic despite still owning an SNES (not sure how functional it still is though)

My SNES recently bit the dust :( so I'll definitely be picking one of these up! I'm curious to see what games they will put on it though. There are so many great games to choose from.
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
My SNES recently bit the dust :( so I'll definitely be picking one of these up! I'm curious to see what games they will put on it though. There are so many great games to choose from.
yeah it should be interesting for sure what games they put on it. i think they will put either 50 or 100 games on it. can't wait to see.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 02:07:27 AM »
people paying 50,000 dollars for a nes classic?   

i found one place in america that gets product often when all others get nothing. the  nintendo store in nyc. only the nintendo store in japan gets more attention. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   the american location even operates like a mini convention at all times. here is a overview of the location:

good luck my fellow nerds, may you be playing with power, soon.

Offline RTFirefly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »
I went to the Nintendo Store in NYC and they said that even they do not get them in all that often.

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
I went to the Nintendo Store in NYC and they said that even they do not get them in all that often.

but they do get some. if only some.

walmarts near me, 3 of them, have never had even one arrive. for a dozen a week to show up at the nyc location is about as many as some whole states get all together.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »
These things are almost like Keyser Soze: they're gone.  Remember, Nintendo isn't in the business of selling pre-stocked platforms that no one needs to by games for ever: they're in the game-selling business.  Maybe next Nov. they'll re-boot with more games instead of just 30, or maybe they'll do a SNES version.  Who knows.  I never got one, but there are always online emulaters

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
My husband just randomly walked in the door with one yesterday. Apparently one of his students works at Best Buy, knew there would be a shipment, etc. He was very lucky - I'd basically given up on him having one at this point.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
These things are almost like Keyser Soze: they're gone.  Remember, Nintendo isn't in the business of selling pre-stocked platforms that no one needs to by games for ever: they're in the game-selling business.  Maybe next Nov. they'll re-boot with more games instead of just 30, or maybe they'll do a SNES version.  Who knows.  I never got one, but there are always online emulaters
SNES mini is suppose to be ready holiday season.