Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Child Badges Transitioning to Junior Badges  (Read 6118 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: SDCC 2018 Child Badges Transitioning to Junior Badges
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
We had the same issue with our son (literally, right down to the detail about him hating having a children's badge. He would keep turning it around to you couldn't see the big CHILD on it :) ) Whether or not you get any pushback, and if you do how much you get, really depends on the person you are dealing with. One year we had a lot of pushback, the next year none at all since the person we were registering with also had a tall kid. Per the last comment, I would bring any identification you have, school id, passport, etc. They may also ask your son some questions about his birthday, address, things like that.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a child transitioning to junior this year (my nephew) and a child who is 13 but turned after the cut off in April (my son).

But my son hit puberty HARD and is almost 6 feet tall with size 12 in mens shoes.  He is also broad-shouldered and could pass for 16 or older.  He won't pass for 12.

We had to get him a child badge because we literally could not get him a member ID before the sale because he was too young.   I contacted CCI to ask if I could just buy him a junior badge to stop people from assuming he stole some kid's badge at the doors, but they just keep quoting policy and telling me he's under the limit and therefore gets a child badge.  I am sick with worry about it.
I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I don't think security care that much to be that scrutinizing of badges. 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:11:02 AM »

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
I have a child transitioning to junior this year (my nephew) and a child who is 13 but turned after the cut off in April (my son).

But my son hit puberty HARD and is almost 6 feet tall with size 12 in mens shoes.  He is also broad-shouldered and could pass for 16 or older.  He won't pass for 12.

We had to get him a child badge because we literally could not get him a member ID before the sale because he was too young.   I contacted CCI to ask if I could just buy him a junior badge to stop people from assuming he stole some kid's badge at the doors, but they just keep quoting policy and telling me he's under the limit and therefore gets a child badge.  I am sick with worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much....as someone else already mentioned, just bring his school ID if you are concerned. Our friends had a 6ft tall 13 year old a few years back and were worried but no one really questioned them.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
I had similar issues with both of my kids when they turned 13. My son was just tall, but my daughter was quite developed. I definitely got strange looks when taking them for the child badge, but I just whipped out their birth certificates and quoted policy at them (about the cutoff date and then pointing out the birthday on the certificate) and I got the badges. Just be prepared to show proof of age and have the website policy available to show on your phone.

Offline lostninja

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »
Does the junior badge look different than the adult badge this year?? Does it say junior on the badge?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 03:32:32 PM »
Does the junior badge look different than the adult badge this year?? Does it say junior on the badge?

It just has the letter J at the bottom right of the badge, right below where the badge's days are listed.