Author Topic: Hall H and B20 line locations  (Read 2751 times)

Offline grehg

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
Hall H and B20 line locations
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
I've done a TON of research prepping for my first SDCC this year.  Included in the research is how lines work and where they are.  I researched using Twitter (viewing archives of @HallHLine and @Ballroom20Line feeds from last year), watched YouTube videos of the lines etc.  I know where the Hall H line is and how it snakes out down the marina.  Its the everything else line that I am not certain about.  According to the SDCC Unofficial Blog and the image in the past SDCC created quick guides, it shows you coming through the front, past B20 on the upper floor then outside.  But I hear of people camping out overnight behind the convention center.  Someone said that the line starts in one of the Hall H chutes.  I know there are tents all over the terraces on the backside, but how do you get there at night if the line is supposed to go through the front first? Also, where is the everything else line in relation to the Hall H line?  Can you tell them apart easily?  Are they parallel to each other?  One everything else line video walk-by looked like where I thought the Hall H line is.  I'm just so confused and I want to come in as prepared as possible.  I need someone to draw me a map of the Hall H and ETE lines so I have a mental map.. haha  ;D.  Also, how are multiple days of the Hall H line handled?  I know there is an official next day line, but people can sometimes start waiting 2 days in advance.  Are they just in the normal Hall H line and when they get to the front of where the NDL line starts they stop and start that line? 

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Re: Hall H and B20 line locations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
The everything else line before they let you into the convention center is kinda parallel to the Hall H line in a way, but is separate and you'll be able to tell when you get there. It will start in the front but will then go to the side of the convention center (outside of the hall h tents), across the street towards the Hilton at that crosswalk (usually but not always lol) and then along the water, sometimes reaching as far back as Seaport Village. One tricky thing is that sometimes they will move where the line comes in when you get towards the building-I've come through that very first tent before but also they've weaved us in front of the Hall H door and we didn't walk on grass at all another time. If it's night and hard to see, you won't go wrong by just following the line that starts in front of the building and following it back. (Hall H won't be in front of the building) If you arrive in the morning just start heading back towards the water and when you get there ask people where the everything else line is. Last year especially it seemed like they changed the line plan everyday, but it really only impacts you if you are in the first chunk or so of the line-just start walking back behind the convention center otherwise.  There will be volunteers, signs, and everyone in line will be used to people asking "what is this line for" that you will be able to be directed to the right place.

After they let people in (so about 7-8am), that's when everything splits off to their separate lines. So go by the quick guide map and the blogs drawings that you were looking at to figure out where you need to go once inside the building depending on what you want to do first.

When in doubt, just ask. Attendees in general are very helpful and volunteers for the most part know where to send you, especially for the big lines.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:51:10 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
Yea, i know last year i got into san diego early before con was open and just for fun of it i roamed around back and saw the lines lol. wish they had trash cans close by so u not see all the trash that was tossed around by whoever at anytime. not saying those in line did it but i can tell some people just dont or didnt care and left litter around as if to make those around think the city is always like that but i know it not cause in front they have or had workers go around checking to make sure the cans was emptied at random times do to the con being around for the week. just sad people dont try to toss trash any where it supposed to go really. k end of rant lol

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »
According to the SDCC Unofficial Blog and the image in the past SDCC created quick guides, it shows you coming through the front, past B20 on the upper floor then outside.  But I hear of people camping out overnight behind the convention center.  Someone said that the line starts in one of the Hall H chutes.  I know there are tents all over the terraces on the backside, but how do you get there at night if the line is supposed to go through the front first? Also, where is the everything else line in relation to the Hall H line?  Can you tell them apart easily?  Are they parallel to each other?

What the SDCC blog is showing you is the B20 line that happens once the convention center has opened. Prior to the opening, the B20 line is mixed in with the Everything Else line. That's the line that is parallel to the Hall H Line chutes (though, they are not the same chutes). The Everything Else line will be just the tent closest to the sidewalk/Harbor Dr.  Once that tent is full, it will snake along the sidewalk toward the marina and then go right after adult swim along the back parking lots. When they open the doors, the Everything Else line will be let in the front doors of the convention center and disperse toward whichever line they're headed toward (yes, you wait in a line to get in a line). That's when you'd head to the back of B20 to get in line for those panels.

Also, how are multiple days of the Hall H line handled?  I know there is an official next day line, but people can sometimes start waiting 2 days in advance.  Are they just in the normal Hall H line and when they get to the front of where the NDL line starts they stop and start that line? 

Officially, there is only the Hall H line (under the tents) and the NDL (behind Adult swim/next to the marina). Based on personal observation last year, you are not allowed to just stay in the NDL and try to get in line for the next NDL. They will completely clear out the NDL for one day before they allow the next to form. I have no idea how they're going to try and handle the people who line up for 2 days next year. It can be a mess.

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
Hello fellow first-timer! :D

I knew that lines, especially for Hall H, were going to be crazy but I haven't done THAT much research on them yet. After reading this post I'm a little concerned though! Do people line up waaayyy early just for the panels or to get into the Con too? I saw the hours for the Con begin at 9:30 but then it was mentioned people begin to be let in around 7-8am... Let's say I want to go to the exhibitor floor first thing, does that mean I have to get in this 'everything else' line to be let in? Or can I just walk right in at 9:30?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello fellow first-timer! :D

I knew that lines, especially for Hall H, were going to be crazy but I haven't done THAT much research on them yet. After reading this post I'm a little concerned though! Do people line up waaayyy early just for the panels or to get into the Con too? I saw the hours for the Con begin at 9:30 but then it was mentioned people begin to be let in around 7-8am... Let's say I want to go to the exhibitor floor first thing, does that mean I have to get in this 'everything else' line to be let in? Or can I just walk right in at 9:30?

Generally, in the past, I've noticed that people tend not to share when they'll be lining up for these rooms and panels over the forums (and possibly other online social media outlets as well).  This is mostly because, once a specific time is mentioned, people will see that, share it with their friends and family, and then try to go earlier and earlier and even earlier than that, which causes problems for other attendees, Comic-Con staff/volunteers, and convention center security.  There will be a compounded snowball effect, and it makes it difficult for everyone to see the panels they are interested in.

With that said, if you're not particularly looking for certain exclusives (such as those from Hasbro, Mattel, etc.), then you don't really have to wait in the "Everything Else" line that early (or wait in line at all) to get into the Exhibit Hall.  It really depends on what your area of interests are as a Comic-Con attendee... ^__^;;

Hope that helps a little.  I'm sure other forum members have more information to share and can chime in as well.  ^__~
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:16:44 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:07 PM »
Generally, in the past, I've noticed that people tend not to share when they'll be lining up for these rooms and panels over the forums (and possibly other online social media outlets as well).  This is mostly because, once a specific time is mentioned, people will see that, share it with their friends and family, and then try to go earlier and earlier and even earlier than that, which causes problems for other attendees, Comic-Con staff/volunteers, and convention center security.  There will be a compounded snowball effect, and it makes it difficult for everyone to see the panels they are interested in.

With that said, if you're not particularly looking for certain exclusives (such as those from Hasbro, Mattel, etc.), then you don't really have to wait in the "Everything Else" line that early (or wait in line at all) to get into the Exhibit Hall.  It really depends on what your area of interests are as a Comic-Con attendee... ^__^;;

Hope that helps a little.  I'm sure other forum members can have more ideas and can chime in as well.  ^__~

Ah, I see how posting that information online could be a problem. I am not the camp out over night or wait hours and hours in line kind of person myself, unless I am really, really excited about something. And honestly nothing comes to mind that I would be that excited about, but I suppose that might change when panels and things are announced.

I am still confused on the letting people in at 7-8 am thing though. If the Con technically isn't open yet, how do they stop people who are in line from going to areas that aren't open yet? Or is 9:30 just when programming begins, no necessarily when doors open?

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:18 PM »
Ah, I see how posting that information online could be a problem. I am not the camp out over night or wait hours and hours in line kind of person myself, unless I am really, really excited about something. And honestly nothing comes to mind that I would be that excited about, but I suppose that might change when panels and things are announced.

I am still confused on the letting people in at 7-8 am thing though. If the Con technically isn't open yet, how do they stop people who are in line from going to areas that aren't open yet? Or is 9:30 just when programming begins, no necessarily when doors open?

9:30 am is when the panels start beginning and when the doors to the exhibitors hall (the main floor with all the booths) are opened. You can hang out in Sails Pavilion or the hallways in the time period between when the convention doors open and when everything else is opened. Many of the lotteries for autographs/exclusives are also happening in that period.

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »
9:30 am is when the panels start beginning and when the doors to the exhibitors hall (the main floor with all the booths) are opened. You can hang out in Sails Pavilion or the hallways in the time period between when the convention doors open and when everything else is opened. Many of the lotteries for autographs/exclusives are also happening in that period.

Thank you! That was what I suspected, but I'm glad to have it confirmed. :)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 10:19:27 PM »

Yea, i can see how info like anything can go viral like anything else. so guessing those who have done the line thing ever year make sure only certain people know and make it as a meet up at certain of day and all. so u gotta just guess what feels ok to u and go and hang with others to get in once u have a badge and u ready to get in. reg con goers have their groups or whatever and get set and sorted to arrive and hang out or basically camp out close by and guess find where they can be at time and do whatever can till doors open at time. so go and enjoy and just try have fun. 

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 06:35:35 AM »
My  experience with everything else line is line up early, camp out and find a lineup group to take shifts with. In the morning they start letting people into the sails pavilion then we all spread out up there. People go to ballroom 20, panels, autograph lines, Hasbro and LEGO lines and lineup to get onto the convention floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
My  experience with everything else line is line up early, camp out and find a lineup group to take shifts with. In the morning they start letting people into the sails pavilion then we all spread out up there. People go to ballroom 20, panels, autograph lines, Hasbro and LEGO lines and lineup to get onto the convention floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the info! I guess I will plan on getting up very early and/or not sleeping. XD

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »
Thank you for the info! I guess I will plan on getting up very early and/or not sleeping. XD
In my experience you need to camp for those. Lining up early morning will take as far as the marina, and when you get inside most things will be capped.

Also, I have a doubt for the EEL line. We line on the first tent closer to the harbor Blvd. When the exhibit floor closes, there are people lining in front of the convention center, are those people cutting line or are they the first  ones that were on the tents? I'm asking if someone knows because we line way before the exhibit floor closed, and the line never moved...

Enviado desde mi XT1650 mediante Tapatalk

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
In my experience you need to camp for those. Lining up early morning will take as far as the marina, and when you get inside most things will be capped.

Also, I have a doubt for the EEL line. We line on the first tent closer to the harbor Blvd. When the exhibit floor closes, there are people lining in front of the convention center, are those people cutting line or are they the first  ones that were on the tents? I'm asking if someone knows because we line way before the exhibit floor closed, and the line never moved...

Enviado desde mi XT1650 mediante Tapatalk

That's usually the people who were in the tents. Security normally moves the EEL line towards the entrance of Hall F once the crowd dies down. A few years ago I got in line to camp out at around 6 or 7pm, was around the tent area when I initially joined, and ended up by Hall G once security shifted the line and said that we can settle our things down.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
Atleast they try to adjust where they gotta and still try tell all is good for the most part. i guess they are told and aware of things so no hassles by security unless anyone gets things stirred up for no good reason.