Author Topic: JUSTICE LEAGUE: The Snyder 'Cut'  (Read 2722 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
JUSTICE LEAGUE: The Snyder 'Cut'
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »
I'm kinda surprised there's no thread here; I know it's been mentioned a little in some other threads, but feels like it should have its own dedicated discussion.
What's the consensus around here about this one?  It's a little fascinating to me that there don't seem to be rabid fans on focc than other corners of the web/social media (good job, folks!!).
Are you all interested?  Obviously Snyder has said he's not planning on using ANY of Joss Whedon's footage (which is oddly limiting, but I guess if Snyder is exorcising his own demons it makes sense from that perspective), which means he has a LOT of work to do between now and whenever HBO releases it (whether as a film or as a limited series).
I never discount whenever a filmmaker wants to make an extended cut of their films: be it as a lengthened film (James Cameron's THE ABYSS, criminally not on Blu-ray or HD streaming, is an example of a director's cut that changes the meaning of the film film from a metaphor to literal), or as a limited series (like Tarantino's HATEFUL EIGHT on Netflix, which adds some Road Show footage I got to see in 70mm film as well as other footage previously unreleased).  I have my own personal critiques of Zach Snyder as a filmmaker, and mixed feelings about his work within the DC Universe.  IMO JUSTICE LEAGUE was a pretty big mess, and if there is some version out there that is an improvement, I'm all for giving it a look.  There are plenty of rumors out there as to what _really_ happened behind the scenes (I have friends who were on set, covering the film as journalists, that have said the film had a lighter tone from the beginning, so who knows what this newer version will 'feel' like).

JUSTICE LEAGUE is such a different situation, where a director left (or was fired with Snyder's life experiences a "convenient" reason for the director to make a "graceful" exit of the project) and a replacement director had heavy reshoots that might've changed tone completely (and it seemingly changed major character and story arcs).  JUSTICE LEAGUE had a massive cloud of it when it opened, and at this point IDK if Snyder can _really_ recreate his headspace, intent, etc. from spring of 2016 while shooting-spring 2017 when Zach exited the production.  Regardless of the reasoning for his exit (and FWIW I personally don't pay much attention to the gossip and whatnot), there _has_ to be a lot of baggage in Zach's mind about the film at this point, which his vision being discarded pretty heavily. 

IMO the Snyder 'trilogy' of DC films (MAN OF STEEL; BATMAN v SUPERMAN; JUSTICE LEAGUE) feel like a devolution of quality, especially from a story standpoint.  Snyder has his strengths as a filmmaker, but I'm not convinced storytelling is one of them.  I think his cut of BATMAN v SUPERMAN is a slight improvement, though when revisiting the film awhile back I don't think I could sit through the whole thing.  It sounds like JUSTICE LEAGUE will be a radically different cut, so I'm interested in at least seeing why Snyder had intended originally, though w/out him able to do reshoots and relying solely on footage already shot (again, apparently only under Snyder's direction) who knows how "compromised" that vision might be, even if slightly (huge films _always_ have reshoots planned so who knows what Snyder would've had planned to reshoot to complete his vision 3 years ago).

What do you all think?  I don't fall into either extreme side of the JL Snyder rage: I'm not fanatically calling for it to happen or rolling my eyes in disgust.  At the very least, I'm hoping for even slight improvement over the mess that inarguably derailed the then-plans for the DCEU: clearly WB went in a radically different direction tonally (kinda led by the first WONDER WOMAN film and its critical acclaim) and found success w/SHAZAM and AQUAMAN so it's plausible WB's instincts w/Snyder's vision weren't wrong.  Also with huge film franchises there is potential for plenty of studio interference.  We've all been lucky with the MCU, which has taken a Hollywood Golden Age approach of "Producer rules," with one main producer overseeing everything, as far as broad overall story & characters are concerned.  If nothing else, I kinda really hope JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE SNYDER CUT is successful enough to stoke the fires for an Ezra Miller-starring FLASH film.  After seeing him at Comic-Con promoting JUSTICE LEAGUE BITD, I _really_ need to see him star in his own Flash film!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: JUSTICE LEAGUE: The Snyder 'Cut'
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I never discount whenever a filmmaker wants to make an extended cut of their films: be it as a lengthened film (James Cameron's THE ABYSS, criminally not on Blu-ray or HD streaming, is an example of a director's cut that changes the meaning of the film film from a metaphor to literal)

That's considered his flop.  Before it came out, I saw him talk about it at an ACM meeting.  He showed scenes from what they had of it so far.

IMO the Snyder 'trilogy' of DC films (MAN OF STEEL; BATMAN v SUPERMAN; JUSTICE LEAGUE) feel like a devolution of quality, especially from a story standpoint.

Man of Steel is one of those movies I can watch over and over again.  IMO, it's THE Superman movie.  I find it hard to believe that the same director that made that made Suicide Squad.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:49:35 PM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »
I hope it's as good as the Snyder Cut of Candy Crush Saga: The Movie  ;) (see: 0:10 - 0:40)

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
That's considered his flop.  Before it came out, I saw him talk about it at an ACM meeting.  He showed scenes from what they had of it so far.

Man of Steel is one of those movies I can watch over and over again.  IMO, it's THE Superman movie.  I find it hard to believe that the same director that made that made Suicide Squad.

* re: ABYSS - yeah, it was definitely not-as-advertised, per say.  I remember when it came out and I saw it in theaters I was surprised at how little action it had, and how it was more of a contemplative movie: more character-driven.  I really wonder if his original cut (that was too expensive at the time, with the massive tsunamis and whatnot that made the nuclear threat message much more literal than the more metaphorical theatrical cut) would've played better.  I was lucky enough to be in an audience at a Sci-Fi movie marathon in the 1990's that got to see the director's cut premiered (likely a mid-western Premier IIRC; maybe at best a North America or US premier?) on the big screen and it blew me away!
Also, of course, ABYSS was essentially a huge budget VFX test/proof-of-concept for TERMINATOR 2 (that also scratched Cameron's first major itch to get into diving, submersibles, etc).

** SUICIDE SQUAD was written & directed by David Ayer, not Snyder.  I agree, I really liked MAN OF STEEL, even if it is a...different (don't want to necessarily say "modern," like Snyder Goyer have said, as one could make a modern take on Superman that's a little less cynical), and it's easily the best of Snyder's DCEU films by a bit: and also wonderfully cast!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 12:31:19 AM »
* re: ABYSS - yeah, it was definitely not-as-advertised, per say.

I've always liked Abyss.  It's the strength of the performances that sold me.  I didn't hear it was a flop until years after it came out.  I was surprised.

** SUICIDE SQUAD was written & directed by David Ayer, not Snyder.

That makes sense.  The style of the films are so different.  I don't know why I thought Snyder was the director.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »

If nothing else, I kinda really hope JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE SNYDER CUT is successful enough to stoke the fires for an Ezra Miller-starring FLASH film.  After seeing him at Comic-Con promoting JUSTICE LEAGUE BITD, I _really_ need to see him star in his own Flash film!

We keep getting bits of his Flash.  I really liked the humor in the CW TV"s Flash meeting Ezra's version.

That makes sense.  The style of the films are so different.  I don't know why I thought Snyder was the director.

The Flash scene in Squad was directed by Snyder and he had EP credit. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 02:25:15 PM »
Since I already have HBOMAX(thanks AT&T!), I'll check it out. If it were going to be released in theaters, there is no way I'd pay to see it.  I have a low bar given Snyder's track history. Hopefully this version won't look
Is the FLASH movie still in the works?  I think it's on director #4(or 5?) and Ezra Miller seems to be keep doing enough bizarre stuff to get himself kicked out two franchises

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 05:55:20 PM »

We keep getting bits of his Flash.  I really liked the humor in the CW TV"s Flash meeting Ezra's version.

The Flash scene in Squad was directed by Snyder and he had EP credit. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .
* yeah, I don't really watch all those CW DC shows (I used to watch "The Flash" but just got behind and never picked it back up), but I did watch that 'cross-over' event and got a HUGE kick out of seeing his Flash cameo!  That was awesome, along with the fun decisions they did throughout that crossover event, but really it just reminded me how badly I need to see an Ezra Flash movie.  To be honest, I only really knew him from the film WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, a film that made me terrified for awhile about being a dad again (long story short, I was really worried I'd have another kid who, this time, was a sociopath - luckily my 2nd kid is as normal as one would expect a kid of mine to be, which is to say "questionably"  :P ), and I'll never forget the Comic-Con where Snyder brought the whole JUSTICE LEAGUE to Hall H, and I realized how fun Ezra seemed to be.  I always liked the Flash comics as a kid, so I was happy he did Barry well (even if it kind of felt to me like DC was copying the "MCU Peter Parker vibe," Ezra was so much joy to watch, and played that part with so much heart, I was bought-in very quickly). 
It's weird because I'm a pretty big movie nerd, and I _rarely_ associate an actor with a character, but Ezra was so freaking chilling as Kevin: a sign of an incredible actor, I think!

* thanks for the clarification of Snyder directing The Flash scene: I had forgotten that.  Kind of like how it wasn't uncommon for MCU directors to director the post-credits seen if it tied into their next film (for example, James Gunn directed the THOR: THE DARK WORLD post-credits scene w/The Collector)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
Guess HBOMax didn't want to wait until 230pm

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »

Fandome panel replay

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »
Well, Zach Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE dropped at midnight last night.  I'm back teaching in-person so I haven't had time to see it yet (I skipped a critic's event for it awhile back - four hours is such a long time for me to devote to a movie in totality right now).  I'll likely have to watch it in chunks, and will at least start watching it later this afternoon.  It's getting better reviews than I would've thought, to be honest, but it's being released at an incredibly unique point in time.  Movie fans haven't really had a huge mainstream tentpole film released in well over a year, so there's likely a little bit of 'giddiness' involved for at least a contingent of fans.  "WandaVision" may have helped quell that a bit, but to be honest that series was an incredibly different vibe than most super hero properties.  Like I said, I'm legit hoping Snyder delivered a good, or at least entertaining, film: it's incredibly rare for a director in his position to be able to revisit a 'lost film,' and while Snyder as a director has his attributes and deficiencies he's nothing if not incredibly passionate about this project (likely for some reasons very few people on earth will ever understand, as it relates to the death of his daughter).  I don't know if I have high expectations for this film or not, but I'm at least intrigued enough to want to see it sooner than later.

Has anyone watched it yet?

*Edit at the 1 hour mark of the film*
I'll just say that Snyder could've either 1) used a MUCH better editor 2) made this a multi-part 'miniseries'.  There are improvements from the theatrical, though that's not saying much, if anything at all.  I lol'ed at the silliness of the opening scene, then frowned at Wonder Woman smashing peoples brains into a wall in front of a school group before telling a little girl she could be anything she wants to be (odd after two solo films where WW was portrayed as a kind and caring woman).  An improvement, but a take on these characters I'm likely not going to get too excited about
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:35:33 AM by perc2100 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »
Not wanting to dwell on too much negative, I'll bullet-point my thoughts on ZACH SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE.  FWIW growing up I was always a MUCH bigger DC comic reader than Marvel and have always wanted to see the JLA on the big screen.  To be honest, I would've _LOVED_ to have seen MAD MAX director George Miller's Justice League adaptation, but here we are with Snyder's.
That being said:

* the 4:3 aspect ratio is confounding in this day-and-age of most of us owning a widescreen TV.  This film, to the best of my knowledge, wasn't shot in IMAX and this ratio ONLY makes sense if there are plans to release this wide in IMAX theaters.
* I appreciate Cyborg & Flash getting fleshed out quite a bit.  I'm a big fan of Ezra Miller's Flash and his new stuff is my favorite.  Ray Fisher has, I think, the most added stuff but he seems a bit flat as an actor/his portrayal so his stuff doesn't speak to me as much as Miller's Flash does.
* I'm sincerely glad Snyder is done with these characters: I _REALLY_ don't need to see Superman-as-Jesus figure explored any more.  Snyder lacks subtlety and his Superman Jesus stuff feels eye-lollingly on the nose (not just here, all three of his DC films).
* I'm fascinated at the thought of what the original theatrical version of this film would've looked like: certainly not 4 hours, and likely not even 3.5.  The Whedon-completed version was a hair over 3 hours (w/credits) so that feels like a more realistic length.  This script would've "suffered" regardless of whom completed it: it's way too dense IMO
* structurally this is very similar to the theatrical cut, sharing some of its fundamental problems: way dark visually, trying to pack too much story/exposition into one film, extraneous action set-pieces.  Honestly, they could've cut the entire "Superman comes back to life and immediately fights the rest of the League members" sequence that felt like "well, it worked for THE AVENGERS first act so we have to include it here, right?!"  I honestly thought that was a Whedon thing, trying to replicate his Marvel success.
* I want to stress again this is a significantly better film than the theatrical, just NOT necessarily my jam
* IIRC correctly Whedon had the color of the big climatic fight in Russia with a weird redish hue (if I'm wrong I apologize, as I haven't revisited that mess since opening weekend in theaters): while Snyder wisely ditched that, he still seemingly kept the action in the dark of night which makes for a jumbled visual composition IMO.
* a lot of this film feels incredibly "go-the-opposite-of-MCU:" cramming origin stories of a team into one film rather than building the team individually first; darker visually and tonally.  I'm not saying copying MCU is the way to go, but this feels like "over correction" to me
* the casting is all mostly solid, and I'd personally love another Cavil Superman film, Batfleck, etc.  I'm really looking forward to Miller's THE FLASH solo film
* they toned down Momoa's Aquaman in a way where he seems to mostly lack a personality: his humor is fairly non-existent, which is an aspect I most-liked about his character (also this film works HARD to set up an Aquaman solo film, and also I don't know how I feel about Willem Dafoe's lack of man bun vs long hair but I'm glad he shows up here briefly)
* the main climax feels like it has both ALL the stakes and zero stakes because there are seemingly no civilians in danger
* watching the bulk of this in one-sitting in exhausting, and I found myself mostly checked-out by the time Superman is brought back to life (i.e. by the time this gels more with the theatrical Whedon cut): a sign of this film's fundamental flaw.  I wonder if this would've worked better as either a significantly shorter story, or broken up into two actual films w/the first being mostly intros and setting up Darkseid's arrival/doom and the 2nd film being the heroes coming together.
* Superman in black is a nice nod to the comics but don't recall the reasons why?  His appearance in costume in the climax, tower, is aces!
* I'm torn about the new score: it works in some places, but feels flat in others
* everything about The Flash is done well, and between the recent X-Men films and this it really feels like Whedon/Marvel wildly dropped the ball with Quicksliver's running FX (though handled better in "WandaVision").  I love the time speed stuff, the colors of the FX, etc: from Barry's intro saving Iris, through the climax.  REALLY well done!!
* I dig how much of this movie is centered around Cyborg, I just didn't like Fisher's portrayal that much.  It also feels like way too much to pack into one film; again, if this were two films I think it would've worked way better.
* I wonder how this film, with Darkseid and his 'crew,' would've felt before INFINITY WAR.  I'm aware Darkseid came first in the comics, and always LOVED the comic character, but after seeing how nuanced Thanos was in INFINITY WAR, and a kinda similar Thanos plot to Darkseid's, it's unfortunate to compare it to a far superior movie character.  Both Thanos' look and portrayal are FAR superior IMO than Darkseid's here.
* it's beside the point, and I don't begrudge Snyder here, but this is incredibly self-indulgent: to a fault.
* besides the aspect ratio being confounding, I'm perplexed why there is a lengthy scene at the end, after the climactic resolution, that...seems to set up a sequel?!  Bruce's dream sequence would've worked so much better in the 1st or 2nd act (maybe the 1st, since Cyborg has a similar vision when he 'connects' with the mother box in Act 2).  And FWIW I don't mind Leto's Joker: I just think as a postscript/non-credits scene, setting up a nonexistent sequel feels really...off.
* this film _REALLY_ should've ended with the shot of Clark ripping his shirt open to reveal the Superman suit/logo.  Snyder should've left the Luther & Joker scenes as a mid/post-credits thing (again, seemingly forcefully anti-MCU formulae in a way that drastically hurts the end-product IMO).

Again, this an improvement, no doubt.  Seeing this while knowing a thing or two about filmmaking and studio-think I get why WB wasn't happy with Snyder's original vision: it's bloated, unfocused at times, meanders, tries to pack too much character stuff into one story and has sooooo much exposition (so many characters explaining expositions over 'flashback' type stuff).  I can see how Whedon had an incredibly difficult task cutting this monstrosity back to a (still too bloated IMO) slightly more than 3 hour film.  I don't fault Whedon for trying his best to make something out of this stuff.  But he did ultimately fail.
I also don't fault Snyder for this bloated, overlong cut.  He's getting all of this out of his system, and it is indeed better.  The character stuff is solid, and FAR better than the action sequences, IMO.  I think this film would've still been a mess had Snyder seen it through in 2017, knowing WB would have ever let him release this 4 hour version.  This is an improvement, and lovingly finished for its more ardent fans.  I don't think many 'civilians' will want to sit through 4 hours of Snyder's vision (a good friend of mine who is a casual comic movie fan, liking MAN OF STEEL, loving AQUAMAN and the original WONDER WOMAN, said he'd never be interested in sitting through this long of a comic movie).  I legit like all the characters, and their portrayals are fine at worst (Fisher), and great at best (Miller).  In the end, though, one can only improve art so much: Snyder's vision is a better product overall, but still fundamentally flawed in a way that can't be fixed without significant editing, and likely rewriting.

One final thing (**EDIT* of course I mean 2  :-X ):
I read that the Joker monologue was done w/Leto by himself because of scheduling or COVID protocols or whatnot.  It's amusing to think of Leto in costume just rambling by himself: and I think The Joker would get a kick/find amusement with that thought  ;D

Also, I just remembered that my favorite scene from the theatrical cut wasn't included in Snyder's: a tag ending (can't remember it was a post-script kinda scene, or a mid/post-credits type scene) that involved The Flash and Superman having a race to see who's fastest.  It makes sense it's not here, as it 100% felt like a Whedon-added scene at the time and Snyder has made it known zero Whedon reshot scenes would be included.  But it added some nice character stuff for Superman especially, and added to Flash's "goofy kid" vibe.  Obviously it would not have fit with Snyder's "the world is going to come to a horrible, dark end!!!" postscript, but I'm still bummed it's not included
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:37:17 PM by perc2100 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
I think the far more interesting aspect of this film, not the film itself, are the circumstances surrounding its existence.  NOT the "Snyder Bros" badgering campaigning WB to release this for years, but the actual real-world stuff:

* we are currently 12 months + 1 week into a year+ long lock-down.  We haven't had a huge tentpole popcorn film released in theaters since THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, the first since Wonder Woman 1984 on Christmas streaming, and the Snyder Cut of JUSTICE LEAGUE is one of the few times in over a year we've had a huge movie to devour.

* clearly Snyder's cut of the film would not br releasable: or at least it wasn't in 2018.  A four hour film is just not going to work for a studio when it comes to a huge franchise film that they'd spent hundreds of millions on.  For one, it would significantly reduce the number of screenings and thus Box Office revenue.  I also can't imagine this film plays to a "civilian" crowd: non-comic/comic movie fans.  I only say that because this is WB's largest intellectual property for film Francises (historically, not necessarily box office) so a LOT was riding on this film.  So this film HAD to be significantly cut back in some way for release.

* Joss Whedon was stuck holding the bag, and will get crushed online this weekend because Snyder's cut is without an argument superior.  BUT, I can see where he did the best with what he had: a mostly finished MASSIVELY problematic film and little time to restructure/rewrite/reshoot enough of it to work.  I haven't revisited the theatrical cut since I saw it in theaters, but it's safe to say he likely made some bad decisions (though w/out knowing how much of what he did was explicitly mandated by Warner Bros remains to be seen).  Nonetheless, he had to take an incredibly bloated mess of a film, cut at least a quarter of it, and rewrite & reshoot scenes to make his version work.  I feel incredibly dirty for saying this (given the allegations of Whedon, which paint a picture of a pretty horrid human being), but I kinda feel sorry for the guy at this point.  He'll be the scapegoat for Snyder fans, and even non-fanatics that watch Snyder's JL cut and walk away thinking something along the lines of "geezus Whedon sure butchered Snyder's vision!"

* when WB announced this last summer, they were HURTING with their HBO Max streaming platform.  Industry leaders Netflix & Amazon Plus had the subscribers, Disney+ was rapidly gaining thanks to stuff like July's "Hamilton" release (and the slew of Marvel & Star Wars series the public was already expecting in the not-too-distant future), and HBO Max was...fledgling.  Oddly, the premium cable network that practically invented "prestige series" and was all the talk not too much more than 10-15 years ago had little to offer as far as "hot, new properties."  Thanks partially to Snyder's own failings with DC properties, the DCEU wasn't a big draw, and HBO proper hadn't had a new super-critically acclaimed hit original series in awhile ("Watchmen" was amazing, but a one-and-done season didn't help the launch of HBO Max).  WB was desperate enough for a "win" to entice new subscribers and finally decided to cave to the Snyder-fans and actually release Snyder's vision.
Of course, there was a legit problem with that...

* there of course was no literal "Snyder Cut" of Justice League.  Sure, there was a 'work print,' which is a beginning-middle-end edit of a full feature film used as work-product in the editing phase: incomplete sound, music, color-timing, special effects, audio overdubs, etc.  Some WB insiders talked of seeing the 'Snyder Cut' but they really meant "Zack's completely unfinished work print."  Releasing the Snyder version meant months of editing, finishing special effects, and some minor reshoots.  To the tune of roughly $70 million dollars.
To give you an idea of how much $70 can buy for a film, here are the budget for ALL 2021 Best Picture nominees:
* Trial of the Chicago 7: $35 million
* Judas and the Black Messiah: $26 million
* Mank: $25 million
* The Father: "less than $20 million"
* Promising Young Woman: "between $5-16 million"
* Nomadland: $5 million
* Minari: $2 million

Warner Bros could've made literally HALF (including both of the most expensive films) of the Best Picture movies with the budget Snyder was given to recut and have some reshoots of a financially and critically disappointing film.  WB paid about HALF of what the first IRON MAN film cost total in 2008!  WB was so desperate for an HBO Max big-ticket subscription seller it dumped quite a bit of money on a failed tentpole film that the studio has since moved away from tonally and thematically!

This is an incredibly interesting tale of a movie development from announcement waaaaay back in the day (roughly 2013, when Snyder announced BATMAN v SUPERMAN at Comic-Con, with JUSTICE LEAGUE announced as a follow-up) to ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE release 7.5 years later on a streaming service: even discounting the "Snyder Bros" noise & Snyder family tradegy!  Like, a whole book could be written just about all of the trials & tribulations of this, and IMO it's all a fascinating look inside Hollywood/Warner Bros as they are constantly chasing and trying to 'catch' Disney (first by besting Disney's MCU output, both critically & box office; then chasing Disney+'s streaming service).

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 05:45:08 AM »
I finally made it through this movie.  My initial watch ended with WW's CGI which pulled me out of the movie.  On a second watch through now. 
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 10:21:26 PM »
my expectations were quite low since I am generally not a fan of Snyder's writing (he does have a great knack for visuals).  I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.  Not sure if it's because the Whedon cut was so bad or if it was just that good.  They could do a 3 hour edit that would have been perfect for the cinemas.  The original vision was clearly far more epic that what we got in the theatrical release.  Snyder went deep into the DC roster and setup an even more epic trilogy.  I have to admit, not only did I enjoy this movie, i would actually be up for restoring the Snyder verse and seeing his vision for the Injustice movie play out.