Author Topic: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021  (Read 44615 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2021, 07:13:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have read all the badge info I can find for Saturday's sale, but have not been able to ferret out how much time we will have to enter information once allowed into the actual  badge purchase screens.  Considering the surprise I had at the paltry 2 min 15 sec, I got for the volunteer registration, I sure hope we get more than that.  For the last sale, we were told that badges would be held for --I think 10 min. -- once selected, while we entered info. It would calm my nerves a bit if I knew.
It was 5 for Pros, and there seemed to be a bit less info to type for Pro registration than Volunteers.  Once logged in & we 'verify' whom we are (we type in Member ID & Last name, and that brings a similar screen where at the body it has your Name & you click "purchase" to take you to the buying screen), then it's essentially First, Last names; email (x3 as you do email, confirm email, and then "CCI email" in case your Member ID is attached to a burner account different from email you want to receive CCI info from); optional phone.  I presume there's a screen after that for credit card info, and I also suspect you have extra time for all of that (billing address, CC #, etc).
Minus the payment options page that Pros didn't see, it was a very EZPZ, fairly quick process IMO.

Online SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2021, 07:16:23 AM »
Also, it sounds like there's not going to be any off site events.  Again, I kind of figured that.  And again, I'm okay with it.  The weather in November here in SD is unpredictable.  I'd hate to be standing in line to go see a Walking Dead event holding an umbrella.  And pouring rain would be hard on Zombie make-up.   ;)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 05:02:44 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2021, 07:19:21 AM »

We're gonna get some great deals, I bet.  Bring your back issue want list, fellow comic book collectors.   :)

Well, no Hall H.  But honestly, I kind of figured that.

We had our first show at that convention center in 1991, I think.  There was no Hall H then because Hall H hadn't even been built yet.  The convention center was only half the size it is now.  It was expanded in 2000.  The spot where Hall H is now used to be a parking lot.

This is really works for me.  A smaller show with mostly locals?  Bring it.

Don't shoot me, but I hope Comic Con Special Edition becomes a regular thing.  Not on Thanksgiving weekend, but closer to Halloween would be fun.  It would give us something to look forward to in that long stretch between Comic Con and Wonder Con.
I agree this is cool, and would _LOVE_ to see this as an annual late fall/early winter event.  If this is sounding like old-school Comic-Con, though, I wonder why they're only selling 3-day badges.  This sounds like it _could_ be the type of Con one could traverse in a day: depending on panel programming, at least.  I don't go back as nearly as long as you do, but I do go back long enough to pre-date Hall H (it was built but not used for programming like nowadays - I remember the first year for Hall H I walked right into a half-empty LORD OF THE RINGS panel), Preview Night, etc.  IIRC, the awesome SPIDER-MAN panel (with the cool poster that's not a collector's item) was in Ballroom 20, or somewhere upstairs.  I remember THE INCREDIBLES panel not in Hall H but an upstairs room (I think even smaller than Ballroom 20), etc.  Of course, the original STAR WARS, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, and other pretty big Hollywood films have had presence at the relatively small (compared to now) Comic-Cons of past.  I'm really curious to see what type of programming they'll have at this Con, though I'm mostly expecting a smaller-than-WonderCon event

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2021, 07:24:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   - Did you have a review page, before you hit the final submit button?  I take screen shots of everythng, just in case.  Thanks.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Online SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:49 AM »
IIRC, the awesome SPIDER-MAN panel (with the cool poster that's not a collector's item) was in Ballroom 20, or somewhere upstairs.

Duuuuuuuude!!!!   Yes!!!!  I was just thinking about that Raimi Spider-Man panel the other day.  That was awesome.  There was a John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars panel that preceded Spider-Man.  I remember thinking that we were lucky to be in the presence of two great American film directors on the same day: Sam Raimi and John Carpenter.

I remember THE INCREDIBLES panel not in Hall H but an upstairs room (I think even smaller than Ballroom 20), etc.  Of course, the original STAR WARS, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, and other pretty big Hollywood films have had presence at the relatively small (compared to now) Comic-Cons of past.

Yes!!!  I was at the Bram Stoker's Dracula panel, too.  It was great to see Francis Ford Coppola.  And you are spot on about Star Wars.  I wasn't there then, but according to comic con historians, 1976 was the year that changed everything.  Lucasfilm sent reps to the just six years old San Diego Comic con specifically to create buzz for a little film no one had heard of ... Star Wars.  IGN has a great article about it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  The folks at Lucasfilm did it again in 1979 for The Empire Strikes Back (By then, the entire planet Earth knew about Star Wars).  My first Comic Con was 1982 and we were packed like sardines up in the copper room to see an advanced peek at Return of the Jedi.  Lucasfim and Comic Con have been married ever since, and of course other studios jumped on the bandwagon.

Folks who say that the early comic cons were all about comics and JUST about comics are wrong.  Movies and TV shows have always been in the mix.  Maybe not to the extent they are today, but they've always had a presence. 

Great post, perc2100!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:38:50 PM by SDcomics »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   - Did you have a review page, before you hit the final submit button?  I take screen shots of everythng, just in case.  Thanks.
Yes, IIRC there was a confirmation type page.  Because Pros get 1 free badge for themselves + 1 free badge for a guest (at least myself and wife did; maybe other types of Pros got more guest badges?), there was no credit card info page and thus no substantial "are you sure you want to pull the trigger on this $150 purchase" page.  But there was a confirmation page from what I remember, and then a "congratulations, you procured X badges for these people" type page at the end.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »
For Archive

Purchase Instructions

Badge Purchase Instructions

This page will look different than it has in the past! To ease your worries, we have provided some tips and tricks below to help you navigate the new badge purchase and registration system. Please click an image to enlarge.

STEP 1: Enter the Comic-Con Member ID and last name of yourself or the person you’d like to purchase for.

STEP 2: Click “Validate”. You’ll see that their name now appears under the “Validate” button. IMPORTANT: Your badge will not be in your cart until you select “Add to Cart” at the bottom of the page.

STEP 3: After you select “Add to Cart”, a pop-up will appear that allows you to purchase for other attendees. If you’d like to purchase for another member, select “Register Another Member”. If not, select “Checkout” and move to step 5 below.

STEP 4: To register another member, follow the same steps above. The members already in your cart can be found on the right side of your screen.
If you want to remove a member, you can do so by clicking the red X next to their name while they are in your cart on the right-hand side of the screen.

Remember, you can purchase for a total of 3 members. If you want to clear someone after they have been validated, but before adding them to your cart, simply enter in a new Member ID and last name. The newly validated member will replace the person previously listed. 

STEP 5: Select “Checkout” from the pop-up when you have finished adding all members. You’ll be directed to our COVID-19 policy and purchase terms and conditions. Select “I agree to the above statement” and then “Save & Continue”.

STEP 6: Purchase your badges. Enter your payment information and billing address. Click “Save and Continue”.

STEP 7: Confirm your address when prompted. We highly suggest that you confirm the “Suggested Address.” This will help ensure you have the correct address for future badge shipping (NOTE: We are not shipping badges for Special Edition). If you receive the “Invalid Address” pop-up, review your address for accuracy. If it is correct, you can still select “Use Address Anyway” and continue. Then, enter your CVV code when prompted and select “Continue”.

STEP 8: Enter your name and email address. The email address you enter must match exactly and is case-sensitive.

STEP 9: Below the contact information box, you can review your order. This is also where you can remove members if needed. Simply click the red “X” next to “Comic-Con Special Edition”.

STEP 10: Click “Process Order” and you’ll be directed to the confirmation screen.  Print or take a screenshot of this page for your records. You may close your browser window at this time.

THE FINISH LINE

Congratulations! Your Comic-Con Special Edition badge purchase is complete.
Each person that has a badge purchased for them will receive an order receipt via email, and all members will receive a barcode confirmation email shortly before the event. We encourage you to add [email protected] as an approved/authorized sender to your email account.

If you do not receive your order receipt email within 24 hours, check your SPAM inbox or log in to your Comic-Con Member ID account and use the "Contact Us" feature.

THE FINE PRINT

While Comic-Con has made every effort to make the badge purchase experience fair for everyone, it is possible that problems outside of our control could result in the system not working as planned. The possibility exists that anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-malware software may aggressively block browser cookies, JavaScript, or other operations of modern web applications. It is also possible that user error, specific hardware problems, local ISP issues, or simply the extremely high level of demand beyond our control may result in your computer and/or browser not behaving as described above. While Comic-Con has done extensive testing, we make no guarantees that your efforts will result in a successful badge purchase regardless of when you enter the process.

As always, we are sincerely grateful for your continued support and interest in our event. We know that purchasing a badge can be a challenge and we are constantly exploring options to improve your online registration experience. We will continue to offer deeply discounted rates for juniors, seniors, and active-duty members of the military, as well as one of the most generous free child badge policies in the comic convention industry.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:23:19 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
Ugh, this guide makes my eyes twitch as they've spelled Sweeny wrong every time (the musical is "Sweeney Todd").

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2021, 09:37:44 AM »
i was thinking they may be testing a new badge buying process for the special edition and for events going forward.

I anticipate them checking vaccination status at the door.  Just my guess.

COVID-19 Policy FAQ

We are working to provide a safe and enjoyable event and trust that all attendee groups, including but not limited to exhibitors, guests, staff, press, professionals, volunteers, and cosplayers will do so as well. Please be aware that adjustments may need to be made to these policies and guidelines prior to and during the event in order to ensure the health and safety of all attendee groups. We ask that everyone please follow the directions on informational signage and from all staff.

Am I required to wear a face covering during the convention?

Yes. In addition to following current healthcare and governmental guidelines, everyone attending Comic-Con Special Edition will be required to wear an approved face covering regardless of vaccination status.

Face coverings should completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snugly against the sides of the face, and not have any gaps. For more information and requirements on acceptable face coverings, please CLICK HERE.

What do I need to provide to show proof of vaccination?

You will be asked to show proof of full vaccination on your phone or present a physical copy, along with an appropriate government-issued ID matching the name on the documentation. Your documentation needs to be directly from the healthcare provider that performed the vaccination.

I am unvaccinated, how do I attend Comic-Con Special Edition?

For adults and children who are not fully vaccinated, a negative COVID-19 test result must be obtained within 72 hours (3 days) of attending Comic-Con Special Edition.

All COVID-19 tests must be done by a certified lab, clinic, or physician. Both PCR and antigen are acceptable as long as testing is conducted within 72 hours prior to your arrival.

What do I need to provide to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test?

Your negative COVID-19 test documentation needs to be directly from the healthcare provider that performed the test and the results must be obtained within 72 hours (3 days) of attending Comic-Con Special Edition.

You can display your proof on your smartphone or present a physical copy, along with an appropriate government-issued ID matching the name on the documentation. Those younger than 18 may use a government-issued ID, birth certificate, social security card, school ID, or locally-issued ID.

All COVID-19 tests must be done by a certified  lab or clinic, home tests cannot be accepted.

Does my child (12 and under) need to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test?

Yes. Your child’s negative COVID-19 test documentation needs to be directly from the healthcare provider that performed the test and the results must be obtained within 72 hours (3 days) of attending Comic-Con Special Edition.

What does “full” vaccination mean?

“Full vaccination” means that the day you pick up your Comic-Con Special Edition badge must be at least 14 days after your final vaccine dose.

I will receive my last shot days before coming to Comic-Con Special Edition. Do I just need proof of vaccination?

If your final vaccine shot is less than 14 days before you pick up your Comic-Con Special Edition badge, you will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

What is the attendee refund policy if I am unable to attend due to COVID-19?

CLICK HERE to view our full badge cancellation/refund policy. If you test positive for COVID-19 72 hours prior to Comic-Con Special Edition, you may request a refund if you provide proof of a positive COVID-19 test. Please do not bring your proof onsite. Email [email protected] and attach your positive test results.

I cannot wear a mask due to a medical concern. What are my options?

If you are unable to wear a mask due to a medical concern, we ask you not to attend Comic-Con Special Edition. All attendees will be required to wear a mask at all times and follow the mask guidelines outlined here. Hopefully we will be able to see you in person once healthcare guidelines are relaxed.

I am bringing my child with me to Comic-Con Special Edition. Are they required to wear a mask?

Yes. All attendees, regardless of age, will be required to wear a mask at all times and follow the mask guidelines outlined here.

Will masks be available at the event?

Please bring your own mask or approved face covering to Comic-Con Special Edition.

Will you remove guests who do not comply with the face mask policy?

Yes. This policy is in place to ensure the health and safety of all fans. Security will be onsite to support adherence to the policy.

I’m in cosplay and a mask doesn’t fit properly – what are my options?

An approved mask or face covering must be worn at all times. We look forward to seeing your creativity!

Do children still need to be present to pick up badges or can parents do that without them?

Children (age 12 and under) must be present to be registered for a badge and adults will be required to provide emergency contact information for any child registrant.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:40:04 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2021, 10:21:19 AM »
What do I need to provide to show proof of vaccination?

You will be asked to show proof of full vaccination on your phone or present a physical copy, along with an appropriate government-issued ID matching the name on the documentation. Your documentation needs to be directly from the healthcare provider that performed the vaccination.

I guess that means the CDC card.  I was hoping to use the California, don't call it a vaccine passport, vaccine passport.  But that doesn't come directly from the healthcare provider.

I cannot wear a mask due to a medical concern. What are my options?

If you are unable to wear a mask due to a medical concern, we ask you not to attend Comic-Con Special Edition. All attendees will be required to wear a mask at all times and follow the mask guidelines outlined here. Hopefully we will be able to see you in person once healthcare guidelines are relaxed.

I totally support this policy but I wonder if asking is the same as forbiding.  Since I think that the ADA might have something to say about it.  IMO, that's the whole point of the 72 hour testing policy versus vaccination.  Since some people cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, it's a reasonable accommodation.  Some companies have people that can't wear masks wear face shields instead.  Which is pretty useless but it is what it is.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2021, 10:24:44 AM »
I guess that means the CDC card.  I was hoping to use the California, don't call it a vaccine passport, vaccine passport.  But that doesn't come directly from the healthcare provider.

I totally support this policy but I wonder if asking is the same as forbiding.  Since I think that the ADA might have something to say about it.  IMO, that's the whole point of the 72 hour testing policy versus vaccination.  Since some people cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, it's a reasonable accommodation.  Some companies have people that can't wear masks wear face shields instead.  Which is pretty useless but it is what it is.

It also says that guests not wearing masks will be removed, though. That sounds like forbidding to me.

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
Wow.  Funko, Toynk, Bandai, UCC, and Figpin all confirmed for Special Edition in November! I'm really surprised some of these companies are coming out considering a few of these guys cited health concerns as a reason for not coming out to New York Comic Con in the next month. 

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »
STEP 7: Confirm your address when prompted. We highly suggest that you confirm the “Suggested Address.” This will help ensure you have the correct address for future badge shipping (NOTE: We are not shipping badges for Special Edition)

No badge shipping for this con! Hopefully pick up won’t be too bad for all of you!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2021, 12:05:24 PM »
Hotels are up for SDCC SE.  OnPeak, our fave, is handling the reservations.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And...The Pendry is listed. :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:17:09 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2021, 12:21:53 PM »
Hotels are up for SDCC SE.  OnPeak, our fave, is handling the reservations.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And...The Pendry is listed. :D

Thanks for the link.

How did you get notification for this
Phasers on Stun!!!