Author Topic: flight : when to buy?  (Read 3751 times)

Offline hismaimai9999

• Sails Pavilion
    • rut ham cau quan go vap
  • Liked: 0
flight : when to buy?
« on: October 23, 2018, 02:16:16 AM »
Normally , the ideal time to buy a flight is 6 weeks prior - but I'm wondering if SDCC flights are any different?

Thanks!
Công ty You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login giá rẻ dịch vụ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login uy tín

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: flight : when to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:30:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Normally , the ideal time to buy a flight is 6 weeks prior - but I'm wondering if SDCC flights are any different?

Thanks!

The biggest rule is, don't buy a flight until you have a badge.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:44:35 PM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
I book my flight as soon as I get my tax refund, which is usually the first week of February.

But yes, definitely don't buy until you have a badge.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:03:57 AM »
This is my question as well. Normally people are advised to purchase a plane ticket 3-4 months in advance to get the best deal, but since so many people will be flying to SDCC should we buy as early as possible? Southwest tickets go on sale tomorrow. Should I buy, or wait?

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »
This is my question as well. Normally people are advised to purchase a plane ticket 3-4 months in advance to get the best deal, but since so many people will be flying to SDCC should we buy as early as possible? Southwest tickets go on sale tomorrow. Should I buy, or wait?

Flights won't get sold out, if that's your worry. I mean, we're not all flying from the same place. When I fly in from San Jose on Southwest, I rarely see more than 10 people who are obviously going for SDCC. In fact, this past year, the flight wasn't even sold out, and I had a row to myself. Pricewise, earlier is usually better.

Me, I usually wait until after Hotelpocalypse (there's that word again!), which is around March/April.

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Hard to say but most travel sites recommend around 60 days before the trip for the best prices; however, if fuel prices goes up, you can  still get burned.

Offline CaseyJones14

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
I just booked my flight today  ;D $290 round trip and now I can relax! Also the great thing about Southwest is that you can get a credit if the price drops at all.
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
I think it really depends on a lot of things.  If there is a particular flight you want to take and it leaves at a popular time, it might be best to get a seat sooner rather than later.  If you want a nonstop flight rather than one with stops, you probably should go sooner rather than later.  It also can depend on where you are flying from.

I have come into a habit of using frequent flyer miles and treating myself to First Class because I'm flying from New York.  So, I get my flights sooner because those tickets are limited.

Offline Carlz

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 10:30:25 PM »
I booked my flight from Australia to LA last night it was only $820A return on a direct flight.

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 06:29:15 PM »

Thanks!

This depends on the airline as well. Most airlines follow a similar pricing schedule of Low farthest out, lowest 6-12 weeks out, and then highest 0-6 weeks out with the most expensive being closer to departure of course.

I typically fly Alaska airlines however and they price gouge the hell out of people planning far in advance. I'm talking asking nearly First Class prices of other airlines to sit in coach. So, for me it's usually better to wait until 9-10 weeks to book as they drop prices to fill seats that no sane person bought in the time leading up to their "sale".

I'd say if you see a price that seems fair to you, book it. I wouldn't worry so much about whether you missed out on the lowest possible fare.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
Bit the bullet today and booked the flights for daughter and I. Things get so crazy over the next few months that it was easier to do it now, then wait until the end of May. Good thing is that I can get it paid for and not worry about it.... now I can concentrate all my worrying on hotel apocalypse!
 :-\
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 06:26:50 AM »
Flight prices usually don't drop until April/May for me so I just sit here waiting.  :(
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
Flight prices usually don't drop until April/May for me so I just sit here waiting.  :(
I work in the public school system.... things just get nutty at the end of the year.... was just easier for my stress level to do it now then wait.... and I will NOT be looking at prices... don't want to know if they really dropped.
Funny thing about it was.... went thru Kayak and they had several of the gaslamp hotels partnered with the flight. Having said that... I looked and the prices were horrendous!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »
This is actually the first year in the last two years that my flight prices have raised. I normally buy my flight in January then monitor for the next couple months, last year prices were the same until a couple weeks before the con.  This year, prices have gone up about $50 each way and fluctuated a lot more. Curious if that is a reflection of the industry at large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »
Bought our flights this afternoon. Pretty close to last years price but times not a good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!