Author Topic: Panel preview 2013  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
Re: Panel preview 2013
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

Part two is up

We continue our sneak peek at some of the panels on the WonderCon Anaheim schedule, which should debut later this week. As usual, you can count on panels featuring our special guests (click here for the complete line-up), plus comic publisher presentations, movie and TV panels, workshops, the return of the Comics Arts Conference (click to see their complete schedule), and much more over all 3 days of WonderCon Anaheim 2013. But here’s just a little taste of what’s to come at the show in the programming rooms (click here to see our previous post).

FRIDAY, MARCH 29

2:00—3:00 The Disney/ABC’s of TV Writing: Through the Looking Glass of the TV Writers Room-What actually happens in the TV writers room is shrouded in secrecy, but Disney/ABC’s Writing Program will demystify what goes on behind the doors of your favorite TV shows. The program’s Frank Bennett Gonzalez and Ollie Ashtari-Larki will share exclusive details on how they groom writers to be part of that world. Declassifying what goes on in the writers room are alumni Jane Espenson (ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Samantha Humphrey (ABC’s Body of Proof), and Silvia Cardenas Olivas (Disney Channel’s Jesse) and current program participants Severiano Canales (Private Practice) and Kristine Huntley (Legend of the Seeker). Essential creative and business presentation tips abound. Sorcerer’s hat and pixie dust not necessary. Moderated by Ken Choy (Hyphen magazine). Room 207

2:30—3:30 I Can’t Write, I Can’t Draw, But I Love Comics!-SDCC’s annual jobs panel returns to WonderCon Anaheim. Just because you missed out on the writing and drawing genes doesn't mean there isn't a place for you in the comics, animation, and gaming industries. Panelists include animation/motion capture supervisor Derron Ross (Blur Studio), Nerdist Industries co-founder Peter Levin, voice-over actor Phil LaMarr (Futurama), and previs wiz Chris Edwards (The Third Floor). They’ll discuss their gigs and ways into the biz you many not have even considered. Moderated by Susan Karlin (Fast Company). Room 208

5:30—6:30 How to Get a Job in the Video Game Industry-Francis Mao (Capcom senior director, creative services) leads a panel of insiders from a variety of game companies and industry outlets to share with you how they got to “play video games for a living,” and the wide assortment of career paths that are available. You don’t have to be a programming whiz or a stellar digital artist to have a fun career in the video game industry. Hear about job opportunities available in areas such as marketing, public relations, retail, design, publishing, editorial, and more! There will be a Q&A session plus an opportunity to speak and network one-on-one with the panelists after the session. Room 300DE

SATURDAY, MARCH 30

12:30—2:00 CBLDF Live Art Jam-Witness amazing live art created before your eyes by the industry's greatest superstars! WonderCon Anaheim special guest Jim Lee leads an all-star panel of special surprise guests who will make original art on the big screen, giving you a one-of-a-kind glimpse into their creative process, and then have a chance to bid to take their work home. The proceeds from this auction benefit Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which protects the industry's First Amendment rights. Stop by the CBLDF booth (#909) for your bidder number, then come watch great art happen before your eyes at the CBLDF Live Art Jam! Room 203

5:00—6:00 Writing Workshop with Marv Wolfman-Writing 101: How to start. How to think. How to get past that pesky middle section. And plenty of time for you to ask personal questions of renowned comics writer and editor Marv Wolfman (New Teen Titan, Tomb of Dracula). Room 210BCD

7:00-8:00 Under the Dome Sneak Peek and Q&A-Get a first look inside the Dome from the stars and creative minds of CBS’s highly anticipated summer series at a special Wonder Con Anaheim appearance. Stars Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) and Rachelle Lefevre (Twilight) along with executive producers Neal Baer (Law & Order: SVU), Brian K. Vaughan (Lost), and Jack Bender (Lost), discuss the new series based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel Under The Dome. The series, produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television, is the story of a small town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away. Join us as the cast and executive producers share exclusive footage followed by a panel discussion. Room 300AB
SUNDAY, MARCH 31

11:30—1:00 The Secret Origin of Good Readers-Using comics as an educational tool is fun and practical. All-star panelists Frank Beddor (The Looking Glass Wars and Hatter M series), Tom Carr (Talking to Yourself in the Dark, host of Residual Hauntings Revived), Marjorie M. Liu (Astonishing X-Men, Black Widow, Dirk & Steele), Dave Elliot (Weirding Willows), and Mimi Cruz (Night Flight Comics, Salt Lake City) discuss how educators, librarians, retailers, creators, and publishers work together to put comics into the classroom as an innovative tool to promote reading and literacy. This multimedia presentation with personal remarks and a Q&A session highlight ways to use the graphic medium as a learning tool. The 70-page resource book The Secret Origin of Good Readers is available for free download at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login courtesy of XMission.com. Room 203

12:00—1:00 What Makes a Good Costume?­-What a hero looks like tells us so much about who they are and what they can achieve. With every incarnation, a costume shows the reader where a character is going and where he or she has been. Frank Cho (Savage Wolverine), Amanda Conner (Power Girl), and Dan Slott (Superior Spider-Man) discuss with moderator Mark Waid (Thrillbent) what they believe makes a good costume. Room 300AB

3:00—5:00 Starship Smackdown Presents: Alien Armageddon­-The must-see panel of Comic-Con and WonderCon Anaheim returns for another action-packed year after last year’s legendary Comic-Con bout, only this time it’s not spaceships but aliens that will duke it out for the highly coveted Smackdown spin-off title. Can Spock put the Vulcan Death Grip on Boba Fett? Will an Alien Xenomorph defeat the Imperial Leader? And will the Martian Marauder spell doom for the Daleks? Join the panel of alien-ated experts as they outwit, outplay, and outphaser, starring Daren Dochterman (ST: TMP Special Edition, Real Steel), Chris Gossett (The Red Star), Ashley E. Miller (X-Men: First Class, Thor), Steve Melching (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Transformers: Prime), Robert Meyer Burnett (ST: TNG Blu-Ray, The Hills Run Red), Jeff Bond (GEEK magazine executive editor), and the Richard Dawson of the stars, moderator Mark A. Altman (Femme Fatales, Free Enterprise), along with some special surprise guests which are unlikely to include Dr. Neil DeGrasse-Tyson, but you just never know. End your weekend with the geekiest and most beloved panel of all time in this or any other dimension, known or unknown. Presented by GEEK magazine. Room 207
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
I don't think there is going to be a StarTrek panel.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:26:17 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 02:01:28 PM »
Oh no!!!!!

So... they were planning a panel... and now they're not? WHAAAAAATTTTT???????

Don't they realize that even if no actors (or JJ) show up, we would still want to see footage?

Waaaah!

Okay, tantrum over. Mostly. *sniff*  :'(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:15:40 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
Let's just pretend that they were never planning on going anyway. It might help prevent any emotional breakdowns. :'(
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
@TransmuteJun @Kevin Rutan: Both of you have way more emotional control than I do.  If there really is no Star Trek panel, I will be probably be sad flailing all the way until May.

I've been looking forward to this since 2009 :(!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
thanks kevin for post the part two sneak peak.

we're planing on making a sticky for the full sched. when it gets announced, similar to what we did for the sdcc 2012 panels.  we'll have to see how many panels there are tho.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
I know that there's going to be a panel on Bravoman, courtesy of Shiftylook.com, at Wondercon Anaheim. Rob Paulsen (voice of Yakko Warner & Pinky from Animaniacs, Carl Wheezer from Jimmy Neutron, and a slew of other voices) has announced it on his Talkin' Toons podcast, and I'm planning on hitting that up - Rob is a great voice actor that I can't miss seeing again.

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
I'm not sure I've heard about this before but according to the Toucan Geek & Sundry is returning to WonderCon for 2013:

I was in line for the panel last year at WC when Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton greeted each other right in front of my spot!   :D

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Panel preview 2013
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
I'm not sure I've heard about this before but according to the Toucan Geek & Sundry is returning to WonderCon for 2013:

I was in line for the panel last year at WC when Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton greeted each other right in front of my spot!   :D

I just talked to someone who is part of Geek and Sundry, they won't have a booth there this year because of TableTopDay, members will be there Friday and Sunday
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Whoo hoo for Geek & Sundry!

LOL, that's where we should have a special 'Friends of Comic Con Seating section'! ;)

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
I just talked to someone who is part of Geek and Sundry, they won't have a booth there this year because of TableTopDay, members will be there Friday and Sunday

I hope that they have some gaming areas where we can play some games that have been played on TableTop! I LOVE that show, and because of it have gotten my wife hooked on Ticket to Ride and Zombie Dice. :)