Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24340 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2020, 02:05:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After quickly reading your first sentence, I felt a little sense of joy...until realizing shortly thereafter it was tongue-in-cheek.
yeah, it was actually a typo: meant to type "_not_ a good sign."  I wouldn't make light of a pandemic, and certainly not as it relates to Comic-Con  :(

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »
Has anyone else just felt mentally exhausted and prone to errors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 01:41:22 PM »

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2020, 04:52:28 PM »

*raises hand*

Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »

Absolutely!  I'm a HS music teacher; this is my 20th year in the same district, 16th year at my current school.  And I feel like tomorrow (when school starts...virtually for at least the first 12 weeks) is the first time I've ever taught before!  Even though marching band and fall sports have been canceled in CA (meaning, I've had zero summer rehearsals this year), I feel like I've been twice as busy as normal prepping to open school, I'm scrambling to learn new tech that our district provided training for extremely late (last week), and I have nerves like I haven't had in I-don't-know-how-long!  I left this am to go into my office and pick something up to work from home and I had to walk from my condo to my car and back at least three times because I kept forgetting (vital) stuff: my espresso (I have a 6-shot latte every am) first, then my hearing aids, then my glasses!  I felt like one of my HS students who doesn't have it together yet!!

I feel like this has already been the longest trimester I've ever taught through, and I haven't even started yet  ???

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »
Pressure?  No, I don't feel and pressure.  Why do you ask?  ::Starts gnawing on my own arm::

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2020, 10:11:52 PM »

I'm tired and anxious.  I don't know if I can keep this up for another couple of years.

The current public health agency drama isn't helping.  If people aren't aware, today the NIH went on record that they oppose the FDA EUA for convalescent plasma.  The NIH says there is not enough evidence to support it's use.  This is to say the least unusual.  This shouldn't happen ever.  The NIH should be on board before the FDA moved.  The problem is that the FDA is too politicized in this administration.  That's a big problem.  They make decisions based on what the President wants and not what the science supports.  Convalescent plasma is not the first time.  This incident in particular has been a nightmare.  The FDA commissioner gave a BS explanation to justify why he approved the EUA for convalescent plasma.  They said that Fauci approved it during the task force meeting.  Fauci represents the NIH on the task force.  Fauci was unconscious in an operating room during that meeting.  Now the NIH goes on the record saying that convalescent plasma should not be considered a standard of care until it's proven effective.

I don't have much faith in the current FDA.  So much so that if they approve a vaccine I will find it hard to trust them.  Especially if they do it before the phase 3 clinical trials complete.  I will look toward public health agencies in Europe and Asia to decide when and which vaccine to take.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:13:53 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »

I've been trying to get outside a lot during my day as I've been WFH since Feb. I don't have a proper home office but have been able to spin up a makeshift office desk area in my basement. Given that it's below ground w/no windows really makes you feel isolated, unlike an office w/windows.  So, the result is forcing myself to get up and out.  My dog now gets walked at least 6 (!!) times a day.  He loves it, and I do it to make sure there's a sun outside :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
I've been trying to get outside a lot during my day as I've been WFH since Feb. I don't have a proper home office but have been able to spin up a makeshift office desk area in my basement. Given that it's below ground w/no windows really makes you feel isolated, unlike an office w/windows.  So, the result is forcing myself to get up and out.  My dog now gets walked at least 6 (!!) times a day.  He loves it, and I do it to make sure there's a sun outside :D

I'm in Phoenix and we're having our hottest summer EVER.  So far 34 days over 110.  We've had 2 two week stretches where it hasn't fallen below 90.  I can't wait for cooler weather and to get outdoors!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »
I'm in Phoenix and we're having our hottest summer EVER.  So far 34 days over 110.  We've had 2 two week stretches where it hasn't fallen below 90.  I can't wait for cooler weather and to get outdoors!!

Here in San Diego, it's not the heat.  It's always been hot.  It's the humidity.  The old saying was that "It's the dry heat."  Now that's a joke.  The weather is Thailand-like even late into the night.  These last couple of days have been a reprieve but that's supposed to end and the hot and humid weather is due to return.

Unlike the lush green vegetation in other areas that are hot and humid, everything here is still dry, dead, brown and ready to burn.  It doesn't seem fair.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 08:19:28 AM »
Here in San Diego, it's not the heat.  It's always been hot.  It's the humidity.  The old saying was that "It's the dry heat."  Now that's a joke.  The weather is Thailand-like even late into the night.  These last couple of days have been a reprieve but that's supposed to end and the hot and humid weather is due to return.

Unlike the lush green vegetation in other areas that are hot and humid, everything here is still dry, dead, brown and ready to burn.  It doesn't seem fair.

You're not making me excited for my trip to SD next week, lol!  (We're staying at a VRBO near my dad, and will spend our time on the rooftop deck and in the yard.  We're waiting until after the Labor Day craziness.) 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »
my parents recently moved to Goodyear (in April) from the mid-west, and I've been following the temps and WOW!  I saw it's supposed to get to 120 this weekend!  I live in San Diego, and we're getting in the the 100's this weekend, but whenever I want to complain or something I slide my iPhone weather app screen over to "Goodyear" and remind myself it could always be significantly worse.  Part of me is glad this summer is hottest ever, since it kinda makes me feel like "well, maybe it won't be this awful every summer for my parents," but part of me is a little worried this will be the new norm temp-wise...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »

Yeah, but I feel like 1) this is the worst time of year for hot/humid weather (I say this as a HS band teacher, who spends a _lot_ of time outside from June-November annually) and 2) this summer has been relatively mild for the most part.  It sucks that the pandemic has screwed up our electric bills, because I feel like we've hardly used the AC this summer.  It's been not-great the last couple of weeks, with the exception of this week (I walk every night around 9:30/10 and the last few nights have legit been _chilly_ w/temps in the low 60's).  It is getting awful w/today likely being the last day of no-AC for the foreseeable future.  I see 107 as a high on Sat & Sun (w/low 70's as lows, at least, so hopefully it cools off a bit in the evenings) with lots of mid-90's highs between tomorrow and next Friday

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »
What a difference a day makes.  Yesterday it was relatively cool.  Today it's back to the AC being on until 10pm and flex alerts.  A couple of weeks ago, it hit 105 in the shade of the patio.  I think we might hit that again in the next few days.

From a practical point of view, it's the humidity that's the problem.  I have camera equipment but I never had to worry about fungus until a couple of years ago.  Now I have a dry box.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2020, 10:09:37 AM »
my parents recently moved to Goodyear (in April) from the mid-west, and I've been following the temps and WOW!  I saw it's supposed to get to 120 this weekend!  I live in San Diego, and we're getting in the the 100's this weekend, but whenever I want to complain or something I slide my iPhone weather app screen over to "Goodyear" and remind myself it could always be significantly worse.  Part of me is glad this summer is hottest ever, since it kinda makes me feel like "well, maybe it won't be this awful every summer for my parents," but part of me is a little worried this will be the new norm temp-wise...

We moved to Phoenix from Ohio (at the beginning of June, many years ago) and the first summer was quite an experience!  I couldn't understand how anyone could put on jeans in the summer, and then the summer went all the way into October.  But it's true, your blood thins or whatever and it becomes easier each year.  I'm sorry your parents got 2020 for their first summer here, though hopefully all future summers will seem easy by comparison.  I'm not going to comment on it being the new normal, I can't go there.  Once we get past the middle of September it should feel cooler in the mornings and evenings, at least.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »
2020 continuing to deliver nothing but goodness.  All-time record high temps in SD today/tomorrow.  Yep...

Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron