Author Topic: 2019 SDCC Exclusives: General Chat  (Read 11186 times)

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
2019 SDCC Exclusives: General Chat
« on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »
What better time than now to kick off discussions about one of our favorite topics -- exclusives!

With SDCC being in its 50th year, I think it would be an extremely awesome touch if next years exclusives packaging came branded with one of their special "golden anniversary" logos, such as this one below, rather than the one we've all been accustomed to seeing over the years.

I'm really digging this first logo reveal from CCI and hope they keep the retro anniversary logos coming!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: 2019 SDCC Exclusives: General Chat
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
How bout a cool Funko Pop! SDCC Toucan 50th Anniversary?  That'd be cool.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:11:26 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »
How bout a cool Funko Pop! SDCC Toucan 50th Anniversary?  That'd be cool.

a 50th Toucan pop----- instant sell out
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »
A collage of big events memorialized on a Mondo poster would be pretty dope
A SW set of original film figures in the cantina (cardboard) playset around a 50th Anniversary cake

There could be soooo many possibilities if companies really want to have fun (and invest a bit - if many companies are doing "convention exclusive" instead of just "Comic-Con exclusive" maybe not-so-much).

I'm expecting some awesome stuff this year: more than just keep-sake/exclusive collectibles - that PLUS memorializing the occasion.

I personally want to see CCI publish a 50th book.  The 40th Anniversary book is great, but SO MUCH has changed since just 2008 (the spring Marvel released their first film)!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »
This just reminded me...budgeting for next year is going to be soooooooooo hard...50th year and all that.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 01:59:32 PM »
First con ever and I'm thinking my budget is not going to be big enough for all the things I'm going to want to buy.  I'm a Pop collector so I'm praying to get lucky with the Funko lottery but I'm open to just buying anything thats cool at SDCC this year.

Offline mellyreid

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:39 PM »
So I’m new to SDCC and am so excited to be going to the 50th. What exclusives have y’all purchased before? How do exclusives usually work? Do they sell out of them quickly, etc? I have no idea what to expect...

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »
So I’m new to SDCC and am so excited to be going to the 50th. What exclusives have y’all purchased before? How do exclusives usually work? Do they sell out of them quickly, etc? I have no idea what to expect...

Depends. They switched to a lottery system last year for the bigger companies like Funko, Hasbro, Mattel, Lego. And all 4 of those usually sell pretty quickly. But if you get picked in the lotto for them you may be ok. Most of the other exclusives from other booths can be managable. I usually get Neca exclusives. Got the Ninja Turtles sets the last 2 years with little issues.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
I posted something similar in the Wondercon Exclusives Thread, but it looks like CCI is changing things up again.

CCI just implemented a new system with "credits" per day, so far for just Wondercon.  For those that don't know or haven't gotten the email, each day you attend WonderCon, you're allotted a certain amount of credits. I would call these "entries." You can choose to put all of your credits or entries into one exclusive signing, or spread them around into multiple signings.

I have a feeling this is to counter everybody signing up for every exclusive last year at SDCC.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
I posted something similar in the Wondercon Exclusives Thread, but it looks like CCI is changing things up again.

CCI just implemented a new system with "credits" per day, so far for just Wondercon.  For those that don't know or haven't gotten the email, each day you attend WonderCon, you're allotted a certain amount of credits. I would call these "entries." You can choose to put all of your credits or entries into one exclusive signing, or spread them around into multiple signings.

I have a feeling this is to counter everybody signing up for every exclusive last year at SDCC.

I am not surprised by this move, whatsoever.

And I absolutely love it.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
I suggested something very similar to this at Talkback last year at SDCC, except that rather than 'credits', I suggested a limited number of total entries per day. They may or may not have gotten the idea from my suggestion, but I feel like they listened to me and took my opinion under consideration.

I think that this will be a good thing, because now people will only enter the stuff they REALLY want. If they're only interested in 1 thing, they will just allocate all of their credits to that one thing. So there won't be as many no-shows, because the winners will likely actually be interested in the property. Also, this means fewer people entering each individual lottery, so those who enter are more likely to win.

Win/win for everyone!

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 04:04:23 PM »
This now dovetails into the next related question: what new participants will be joining the 2019 lottery?

Might we see Tamashii Nations or Bandai join the existing "core four" of LEGO, UCC, Funko, and Hasbro?

Time will tell...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
We have yet to see...

FWIW, it doesn't look like there are any new participants in the WonderCOn lottery... still just DC, WB and Fox...

Offline Carlz

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
I did manage to be quite lucky with the lottery last year, I still only entered for things I actually wanted and still agree that having a limit on what you can enter is a great idea

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
Hopefully the credit system puts an end to the mystery slots. people are going to want to known what they are trying to win rather than blindly sign up for WB signing #4 or Lego figure Friday.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper