Author Topic: So, Tell Us of Your First SDCC...  (Read 10074 times)

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
Re: So, Tell Us of Your First SDCC...
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This...I remember my first time I turned around after getting my badge and saw the signs for the next years'.  I was like "well, am I really coming back again" (mind you this was the day I picked up the badge and haven't done anything yet), then I'm like 'who am I kidding" and bought right then and there.  From that year of getting the next year's badges right there, to the couple years of hanging in line on the promenade for a shot at buying next year's badges in those long lines, to the lottery that is today...what a wild ride it's been!

I usually waited until later in the year to buy my badges. I remember, they would put tickets on sale whenever they felt like it.  No announcement, just stealthily put the badges on sale on their website.  They even had little percentage bars to that would show you when they would get close to selling out.  First they sold out a few weeks before the con, then a few months, then almost immediately.  Then they started with the online sales with an announced time that would crash the website immediately.  Now the lottery.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
They even had little percentage bars to that would show you when they would get close to selling out.

I miss those percentage bars. They're less nerve-wrecking than the spinning blue wheel of doom and the yellow text box alerts during badge sales.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 07:54:02 AM »

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
My first year was 2010. That seems to be a popular first year!!

Living in the Bay Area I had attended 2 WonderCons in 2008 and 2009 since my neighbor friend was the Events Manager at Moscone Center. It was nostalgic and fun so I decided after WC 2009 to actually to try to go to SDCC that summer. Unfortunately I waited a bit too long and only like Thursday or Sunday were available so I passed but told myself the next year I'm going for sure. 2010 comes around and WonderCon happens first and that reminds me for SDCC. I waited too long again and was only able to get 2 days -- Thursday and Sunday. Figured that's OK, I'll visit my family and friends on Friday and Saturday. Then the ticket resale happened pretty late those days and I was able to get Friday! So even better!

The family and I made it a trip to visit our SoCal family and friends. We visited a friend on that Wednesday in Carlsbad where I ended up staying the rest of the week commuting in. Parking? I parked a good 10 blocks away on like 5th and Ash at a public parking lot ... pretty sure it was an ACE one ... that only costed $5 all day!! On a couple days I walked from the parking lot to the convention center but on other days I just stopped at the hotel across from the parking lot and took the SDCC tram. This was a lucky blessing because on my very first day I came out with a huge bag of collectibles from Hasbro and Mattel! This was the year of the huge Marvel Galactus figure, Gi Joe Seargent Slaughter, Transformer Blaster, Wonder Woman Invisible Jet and limits were higher like 4 or more!!

Since I was also visiting family I would only go during the mornings/early afternoon and leave to go hang out with them in the evenings. I didn't have the time or courage to go try any panels so spent most of my time just checking out the exhibit hall.

This was just the beginning of SDCC becoming really big so it was crowded but as long as you were "early" (no camp out needed) you were able to do and get most anything. They still had the kiosks in Sails to buy badges for the next year which I did. I actually ended up buying for my entire family and a couple of good friends. Then it all got so crazy big and only crazier and bigger since!

I can't believe SDCC 2018 will be my 9th in a row and this year's recent WonderCon was 11 for me (I missed in 2016 when it was in LA). So much time has passed and so much in life has happened. It's amazing and sort of weird to think I've gone to more SDCC's than my youngest child has been alive!

I wonder when I'll post my story on the "So, Tell Us of Your LAST SDCC..." At what point do I get too old for it? Never? 10 years? 20? Till death?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:05:27 PM by karatekid »
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2018, 03:14:56 PM »
I remember when i had gone years ago that i never knew of exclusives any. never heard of the term swag as to freebies. some how i just got freebies at random and then anytime i went got pics and any autographs by chance. times have changed so much and knowing what i know, i be sure to budget since i not really need alot or want alot if i dont feel i gotta have that bad. since things have changed so much, i made sure last year to try and check in with anyone i knew of by connection on fb and all. it was started do to interest of comics, so i made point cause of how it has gotten so media craziness that i show support to those who help keep comics alive and all. hope get some comics signed again if possible and grab any free swag, made buy some modern comics if cheap and any want most. i tend to think what to say and dwell on stuff lol, so it not a rant but more a view of how i see things.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »

I wonder when I'll post my story on the "So, Tell Us of Your LAST SDCC..." At what point do I get too old for it? Never? 10 years? 20? Till death?  ;)

I’m going to be 62 this year. This is my 10th SDCC, and I attended WonderCon (from Minnesota) for the first time this year. I’m not planning on slowing down anytime soon, and you shouldn’t either. Excelsior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
I’m going to be 62 this year. This is my 10th SDCC, and I attended WonderCon (from Minnesota) for the first time this year. I’m not planning on slowing down anytime soon, and you shouldn’t either. Excelsior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the spirit!!!

Maybe the better question at what point am I too old to be camping out, waiting in line for hours and sleeping on sidewalks! How much longer can I do that?!
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
That's the spirit!!!

Maybe the better question at what point am I too old to be camping out, waiting in line for hours and sleeping on sidewalks! How much longer can I do that?!

Do as long as u can do so, like anything else that u only limit to what u cant do or what ur not allowed to do at anytime. so until the day comes where they say u or anyone else is not allowed to camp out for the con then that be the day it happens no more i guess.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
So, Tell Us of Your First SDCC...
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2018, 08:48:43 PM »
That's the spirit!!!

I have to say that in my ten years of waiting on line, that I have people that I met In line that became my friends, and now, over time, I can honestly say I that I love them. I attend  the convention more to see them as for anything else. It wouldn’t be the same if I experienced it without them.  As I have gotten older, they have covered for me. When, during the first few years I slept in line, now that I’m an arthritic 62 year old, they do it for me. But, now I bring the coffee in the morning. I have the room at the Bayfront for them to drop their gear and shower while I hold the line spot. Lesson: Comic-Con is a team sport. This forum is proof of that. I have never felt a greater sense of community in my life.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
My first year was 2012. A friend (that I met at another convention) and I decided to go because I knew it was going to be Merlin's last season and I figured I'd never get the chance to see the cast again, and this was kind of a bucket list thing for me, so we made the effort. Both of us struck out on tickets but luckily her mom was able to come through for us and we were lucky enough to get all four days.

We came in a few days early because I'd never been to San Diego and we did touristy things. We did the beach one day and Old Town another. We stayed in a hostel that I had booked in December because neither of us knew anything about hotels.

It was amazing. Since I only cared about Merlin, we put 100% of our effort into that. We did a signing at the BBCA booth with Katie McGrath and Colin Morgan, and even though it was supposed to be photos or autographs, they did both for us. We got up early on Sunday to get good seats for the panel and were in the 4th row. Everything else we did was bonus after that. We tried to do at least one panel a day. My friend was a big fan of Lost Girl and she got to do a signing for them. We did the WB autograph draw and got The Following so we got to meet Kevin Bacon. We randomly saw Shawn Ashmore in the Gaslamp and got pictures with him. It was just such a great experience. I never thought I'd be able to go back, let alone go as often as I have (this will be my 5th).

Also, I have since gotten to see Colin Morgan at other conventions.  ;D
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »
My first year was 2012. A friend (that I met at another convention) and I decided to go because I knew it was going to be Merlin's last season and I figured I'd never get the chance to see the cast again, and this was kind of a bucket list thing for me, so we made the effort. Both of us struck out on tickets but luckily her mom was able to come through for us and we were lucky enough to get all four days.

We came in a few days early because I'd never been to San Diego and we did touristy things. We did the beach one day and Old Town another. We stayed in a hostel that I had booked in December because neither of us knew anything about hotels.

It was amazing. Since I only cared about Merlin, we put 100% of our effort into that. We did a signing at the BBCA booth with Katie McGrath and Colin Morgan, and even though it was supposed to be photos or autographs, they did both for us. We got up early on Sunday to get good seats for the panel and were in the 4th row. Everything else we did was bonus after that. We tried to do at least one panel a day. My friend was a big fan of Lost Girl and she got to do a signing for them. We did the WB autograph draw and got The Following so we got to meet Kevin Bacon. We randomly saw Shawn Ashmore in the Gaslamp and got pictures with him. It was just such a great experience. I never thought I'd be able to go back, let alone go as often as I have (this will be my 5th).

Also, I have since gotten to see Colin Morgan at other conventions.  ;D

I get the feeling that those people who work the autographs are allowed to tell the fans the rules, but the stars can do whatever they want.  I can't remember if it was my first SDCC.  If not, it was one of my first SDCCs when I got in line for an autograph from Mark Hamill.  They said no posing for photos; we could only take them as he's signing.  Well, he saw my husband taking pictures and then asked us if we want to pose.  Heck, we weren't turning that down and no line guards were going to stop the star who offered!  Not sure if everyone asked to pose after that.

Anyway, seeing the prices he charges for photos nowadays, I'd say we got a deal.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
My first SDCC was in 2000.  I was 25.  I had heard it was big but I wasn't expecting the mammoth con that it was even back then.  Badges were only $60 for all four days including PN, parking was $9 at the convention center, and I walked right up to the Volunteer booth which was held underneath the escalator in front of Hall C and got in for free.  In order to save more money to spend on comics I would quietly pull my Mustang into the parking lot of the Hilton on Harbor Island.  It was gated.  I'd roll down the windows and fall asleep under the cool ocean air - I guess you can do anything when you're 25.  In the morning I would drive over to the Denny's on Rosecrans and order an omelet which kept me full all day.  At night I would park at Hotel Circle and soak in their jacuzzi before heading over to the Hilton.  I racked up so much on my Discover card that year, met Jae Lee and numerous other artists, saw Danzig walk onto the convention floor, made a few friends ... oh and had a really disappointing signing with Simon Bisley.

When I heard he was at the Heavy Metal booth signing, I rushed over to get in line which was already huge.  I had so many questions about how he created his masterpieces!  I was so pumped.  I snagged a copy of Fakk2 for him to sign.  The line was moving fairly fast but I was in line for about a half hour.  Excited I walked up handed him the book ... and he just stared off into space.
Keeping it cool I say, "Hi, Mr. Bisley.  Really dig your work."  I stood there holding out my book for him to sign.  He doesn't grab it.  He continues to stare off into space.  Dead quiet for what seems like 15 minutes. 
I begin to wonder if he's tripping.
Just then an employees runs up with a bag from Ralph's.  He whispers that they were out of whiskey and all he could get was a couple 6 packs of Addams.
"He's drunk?!," I think to myself.  It's not even 10am!?!
He snaps to life, "Oh, thanks mate!"
I continue standing there holding out my book for him to sign.  He continues to stare.  The employee/enabler pours him a beer into a coffee thermos.
I stammer, "So, um ... can you ..."
"Oh, yeah," he slurs.  Grabs my book and quickly scrawls out a bunch of loops and hands it back.
"What the ..." I think to myself.  All my hopes of picking his brain and learning all of his techniques ... gone.  I can't make heads or tails of his signature. 
His bud says, "All right, man.  Move along we got a line."
I nearly threw the book in the trash.  My depression lasted only a few seconds as I saw more comics for me to buy.

That was a minor hiccup for my first SDCC.  I was an addict after that and this year will be my 16th? As Sunday brought the con to a close, I saw that badges were for sale for $55 for 2001.  I passed knowing I could just walk up and volunteer next year which I did. 
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »
My first SDCC was in 2000.  I was 25.  I had heard it was big but I wasn't expecting the mammoth con that it was even back then.  Badges were only $60 for all four days including PN, parking was $9 at the convention center, and I walked right up to the Volunteer booth which was held underneath the escalator in front of Hall C and got in for free.  In order to save more money to spend on comics I would quietly pull my Mustang into the parking lot of the Hilton on Harbor Island.  It was gated.  I'd roll down the windows and fall asleep under the cool ocean air - I guess you can do anything when you're 25.  In the morning I would drive over to the Denny's on Rosecrans and order an omelet which kept me full all day.  At night I would park at Hotel Circle and soak in their jacuzzi before heading over to the Hilton.  I racked up so much on my Discover card that year, met Jae Lee and numerous other artists, saw Danzig walk onto the convention floor, made a few friends ... oh and had a really disappointing signing with Simon Bisley.

When I heard he was at the Heavy Metal booth signing, I rushed over to get in line which was already huge.  I had so many questions about how he created his masterpieces!  I was so pumped.  I snagged a copy of Fakk2 for him to sign.  The line was moving fairly fast but I was in line for about a half hour.  Excited I walked up handed him the book ... and he just stared off into space.
Keeping it cool I say, "Hi, Mr. Bisley.  Really dig your work."  I stood there holding out my book for him to sign.  He doesn't grab it.  He continues to stare off into space.  Dead quiet for what seems like 15 minutes. 
I begin to wonder if he's tripping.
Just then an employees runs up with a bag from Ralph's.  He whispers that they were out of whiskey and all he could get was a couple 6 packs of Addams.
"He's drunk?!," I think to myself.  It's not even 10am!?!
He snaps to life, "Oh, thanks mate!"
I continue standing there holding out my book for him to sign.  He continues to stare.  The employee/enabler pours him a beer into a coffee thermos.
I stammer, "So, um ... can you ..."
"Oh, yeah," he slurs.  Grabs my book and quickly scrawls out a bunch of loops and hands it back.
"What the ..." I think to myself.  All my hopes of picking his brain and learning all of his techniques ... gone.  I can't make heads or tails of his signature. 
His bud says, "All right, man.  Move along we got a line."
I nearly threw the book in the trash.  My depression lasted only a few seconds as I saw more comics for me to buy.

That was a minor hiccup for my first SDCC.  I was an addict after that and this year will be my 16th? As Sunday brought the con to a close, I saw that badges were for sale for $55 for 2001.  I passed knowing I could just walk up and volunteer next year which I did.

I can see how 1 person who u admired i guess can ruin a meet and greet cause they wasnt focused on the event at hand. atleast u didnt let it ruin ur time at con and still enjoy going every year.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
oh and had a really disappointing signing with Simon Bisley.

Oh man, I've had these before.  Nothing like having someone you like and/or respect being either rude, lame or straight up ignoring you that can put a damper on your con experience.  Never had drunk, but I suspect a few signings I've had involved people on other substances.  Glad to hear it didn't sour you to Comic Con in general.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »
Oh man, I've had these before.  Nothing like having someone you like and/or respect being either rude, lame or straight up ignoring you that can put a damper on your con experience.  Never had drunk, but I suspect a few signings I've had involved people on other substances.  Glad to hear it didn't sour you to Comic Con in general.
When I met James Spader, I was so excited but he ended up being a total prick. Acting my foot, that's his normal demeanor. Funny enough, I've been told Chris Evans is an ahole so I was really worried about Paris meeting him. She adores him. When we were meeting him I asked I could sneak a photo (no photos allowed) and he was super nice and leaned over the table to snap a shot! She still uses that as her screen saver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
I get the feeling that those people who work the autographs are allowed to tell the fans the rules, but the stars can do whatever they want.  I can't remember if it was my first SDCC.  If not, it was one of my first SDCCs when I got in line for an autograph from Mark Hamill.  They said no posing for photos; we could only take them as he's signing.  Well, he saw my husband taking pictures and then asked us if we want to pose.  Heck, we weren't turning that down and no line guards were going to stop the star who offered!  Not sure if everyone asked to pose after that.

Anyway, seeing the prices he charges for photos nowadays, I'd say we got a deal.

Yep yep yep.  At Honolulu Comic Con I accompanied a friend to meet Edward James Olmos.  My friend was too scared to talk to him so I went with him so he could have a moment with his favorite actor.  Olmos gave me a free autograph just for being there for my friend.  Great dude.