Author Topic: So, Tell Us of Your First SDCC...  (Read 10071 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: So, Tell Us of Your First SDCC...
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was so weird....Paris and I walked by their booth and they stopped US and said they recognized us from past cons and wanted our photo!! Hahahaaa!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I guess this means we should get Kitty's autograph at the Tuesday meetup before she gets mobbed by the masses? :)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
I'll be nice and won't charge.....for the first hour. Here they are. Such a weird moment.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 10:10:38 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »
Who knew that Kent and Vyxsin had such a big FoCC fanbase?  ;D

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »
I'll be nice and won't charge.....for the first hour. Here they are. Such a weird moment.

We ran into them one year, my wife said look and we went over to say hi and how we enjoyed their race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
Who are they? Everyone seems to recognize them and I'm just baffled.   ???

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
Who are they? Everyone seems to recognize them and I'm just baffled.   ???

Kent and Vyxsin from Amazing Race. They were in season 12 and another season.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
Kent and Vyxsin from Amazing Race. They were in season 12 and another season.

Haha thank you!  I had no idea that'd have a presence at SDCC but hey they look like cool people so that rocks.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
2003 or 2004.

I’m from the Bay Area and have gone to a few Wondercons back when it was still up here (both in Oakland and SF). I had heard of San Diego Comic Con, but honestly didn’t know that much about it. My sis was in college down in LA at the time, so on a whim I decided to drive down and visit her and check out SDCC at the same time.

I hadn’t done ANY research into SDCC (there was no Reddit or FoCC or even Twitter), so I was going into it blind. We stayed about 10 miles away in some motel, and on Sat morning, drove to downtown. I somehow found free parking on Harbor Blvd beyond the overpass.

And then I was in for my first rude awakening: the line to get badges. It wrapped all the way out past the Marriott. Estimates were it would be like 3+ hours wait, and it was already around noon, in the sweltering sun.

There was a guy announcing that if we chose to volunteer for three hours, we would get in for free. For my sis and I, easy choice. Stand outside in the heat, or be inside and work. So we hopped on that immediately.

We had the absolute easiest volunteer job. Once an hour (so four times total), we had to post updated schedules across the entire convention. It was literally 20-30 minutes total work, and the rest of the time we had to ourselves.

Like I said, I hadn’t done any research into SDCC. I thought it would be a slightly bigger Wondercon (and this was when Wondercon was actually quite small). The scale of SDCC blew me away. And mind you, in 2003, SDCC was a lot smaller than it is now. No Hall H. No offsites. Barely any movie studios, if any at all.

I’ve been lucky enough to come back every single year.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
Mine will be a rather lackluster story but my first visit was back in 2007 and only for a day, Thu, I believe.   I had attended SW Celebration in Los Angeles a few months prior and that was my first fandom con if you don’t count NBA and NHL All Star fan festivals.   I had picked up some Gentle Giant merch for a friend and then when meeting up with him, he asked if I was going to SDCC and if not to really consider it. 

The luxury of those days was that I actually could decide as late as May or June.   Once the exclusives were announced for that year, I decided I didn’t want to have friends be merch mules for me like in past years so I decided to try it for a day.   I returned for 2008 but I think only for 2 days.  Might not have been until 09 or 10 that I started to max out on as many days of attendance as possible but I’ve been every year since 2007. 

And if anyone is curious as to what exclusive made me want to come, it was Mattel Justice League Unlimited figures. 

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2019, 01:26:28 AM »
*bringing it back*

My first year was back in 2011 for Fri and Sat.

You could’ve called us Jon Snow because we knew nothing. The first thing one of my friends wanted to do was go to a Walking Dead panel in Hall H. So after finding the line and taking almost 10 minutes to get to the end of it, we waited there almost an hour before leaving around 9AM. We were waiting right across from Joe’s Crab Shack and the panel was around noon.

We pretty much spent most of our two days at the exhibit hall. I took a lot of photos with cosplayers this year. Seems to have gone down because ever year became less and less photos. I didn’t even take a photo at all with a cosplayer last year.

The last thing we did on our last day there was sit through a few panels. We were waiting for a Resident Evil panel that my friend wanted to go to. Before that, we sat through Lost, some anime company (maybe Funimation, idr), and some author. We were beat so thats why we ended up going in early. This was the first and last year we have ever attended any panels.

As for outside of the CC, we explored the Gaslamp. Hit a few bars/clubs, shot some pool, failed a food challenge, and reconnected with some high school friends.

All in all, a pretty good memorable first year.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2019, 02:10:01 AM »
I think it was 2000 or 2001/2? I was about nine and my brother thirteen. My brother wanted to go to one of the geeky concerts they have on the marina during the con. My mum suggested that our dad take us to the convention during the day and then she could take us to the concert or something along those lines.

We spent most of our time in the exhibit hall buying things and just observing all the cosplays going by.

I don't remember it too well because it was so long ago and my memory has never been the best, but I definitely remember feeling like I belonged. That there were other people who liked what I liked, enough that there was a convention that thousands!! of people went to. It was an amazing experience like that.

I remember the concert afterwards better, we had great seats and I also played an instrument. I was absolutely enchanted, the screens, the music, the music that I loved from games that I loved, I'd never experienced anything like it. I couldn't believe, in that way young people don't realize the scale of things, that there were enough people who loved the games that there was a concert for it!

Basically there was a lot of that feeling and impression. That I couldn't believe it was SO BIG, that so many people liked geeky/nerdy things. Now I go and it's even bigger, but I've never lost that awe of it being so big, beyond my possible imagination, that there are SO MANY PEOPLE who love these kind of things. It's a bit mind-boggling and makes me smile every time I think about it.

We only went for one day that first year and the next year for two days (in which I was sick and couldn't go.) Unfortunately, we didn't go too often after that until I picked up going again with friends during uni. We've been going every year ever since and it's one of the happiest and things I look forward to most every year. Every few years my brother goes and we spend time walking the floor, no doubt both reminiscing on the old days, and enjoying the time together.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.