Author Topic: SDCC@HOME general Chat, Virtual SD Comic-Con Programming?  (Read 20064 times)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: Virtual SD Comic-Con Programming?
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2020, 06:48:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is disappointing news...almost nothing will be live? I was wondering and looking forward to seeing how they would pull off live events on a larger scale than other online events, and that is my answer.  It ain't happening.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad most of it isn't live. It means less chance for technical errors, or panels being Zoom Bombed depending on how they're doing things.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2020, 11:00:48 AM »
This is disappointing news...almost nothing will be live? I was wondering and looking forward to seeing how they would pull off live events on a larger scale than other online events, and that is my answer.  It ain't happening.

I'm also disappointed that it's not live.  Live streamed events have that extra special something that recorded events don't.  Just like in person live events, the panelists can respond to the audience if it's live.  That doesn't happen with prerecorded events.  It's not as fun.

I don't see why the scale would have been prohibitive.  The streams didn't have to go through a common point at CCI.  Scheduling would have been their biggest contribution. Then each panel could have been put on independently.  It's not hard to live stream on youtube.  Youtubers with 50 or 5000 or 500,000 subscribers do it all the time.  I'm sure the studios could have figured it out.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad most of it isn't live. It means less chance for technical errors, or panels being Zoom Bombed depending on how they're doing things.

You can deal with it the same way that a heckler is dealt with at a live panel, it's even easier online.  A moderator mutes anyone causing trouble.  There are live streams on youtube all the time.  The technical issues have been worked out.  There aren't that many stream breakers.  Even if an occasional stream breaks, just move on to another stream.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:09:27 AM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC@HOME general Chat, Virtual SD Comic-Con Programming?
« Reply #77 on: Today at 02:33:23 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
Eh, I'm just happy we're even getting this many panels to begin with. I wasn't expecting much so I'll take what I can get. If that means they're already recorded to make it easier for everyone, including the guests who might now be stuck at home with family/kids, or getting back to actually filming, then so be it. This entire thing is hitting me hard right now, and I'm just trying to think/be positive about it.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
If that means they're already recorded to make it easier for everyone, including the guests who might now be stuck at home with family/kids, or getting back to actually filming, then so be it.

I doubt they are gathering people together to record the panels.  That doesn't make sense.  So they are doing it the same way panels and streams have been done during this pandemic.  Everyone is at home and it's a video conference.  That's how Amazon did The Boys panel a few days ago.  So it would be just as easy to do it live as to record it.

Doing it live makes it an event.  Watching a recording just makes it another youtube video.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
I doubt they are gathering people together to record the panels.  That doesn't make sense.  So they are doing it the same way panels and streams have been done during this pandemic.  Everyone is at home and it's a video conference.  That's how Amazon did The Boys panel a few days ago.  So it would be just as easy to do it live as to record it.

Doing it live makes it an event.  Watching a recording just makes it another youtube video.

I never said they were gathering people somewhere to film? But if someone is filming at home, where kids/family are around, I don't mind/care if being recorded ahead of time helps with that. Not every panel is a panel with a celebrity who has someone to wrangle people. Some of these panels are going to have every day people who are still trying to balance everything going on in their lives on top of trying to take part in this.

It's hilarious that we're going back and forth about this when in the end, it doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
I never said they were gathering people somewhere to film? But if someone is filming at home, where kids/family are around, I don't mind/care if being recorded ahead of time helps with that. Not every panel is a panel with a celebrity who has someone to wrangle people. Some of these panels are going to have every day people who are still trying to balance everything going on in their lives on top of trying to take part in this.

It's hilarious that we're going back and forth about this when in the end, it doesn't matter. It is what it is.

I didn't say you did.  I was pointing out that whether it's live or recorded it's done the same way, from wherever they are.  Whether that's in a studio with a professional camera, at home with a webcam or someone stops walking on the street for a few minutes and steams in from their phone.  So it's all a matter of picking a time.  Whether that's now for a recorded session or a few days from now for a live event, it's the same amount of effort.  Either way kids have to be dealt with, people have to be wrangled.  Even before the pandemic, it was accepted that kids wander in and out of video conferences.  Many times that's the highlight of it.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »

GET READY FOR COMIC-CON@HOME 2020 PROGRAMMING! The Comic-Con@Home 2020 Programming Schedule

We’re two weeks away from the debut of Comic-Con@Home 2020! And even though this is a very different year, we’re happy to announce we’ll be sticking with the Comic-Con tradition of announcing our panel schedule two weeks in advance. Over the next five days, we’ll reveal our daily online programming line-up for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, July 22–26, with complete programming descriptions. The panels themselves will not be available until those dates, but you’ll be able to read all about them and build your own schedule of programs you want to watch during Comic-Con@Home 2020!

Comic-Con@Home 2020 will feature over 350 separate panels spread out over all five days of the event. There will be something for everyone! Here’s how it works:

Once the daily schedules go live, you’ll be able to read the descriptions and decide what you’d like to see. The majority of our panels will also be available AFTER the July 22-26 dates, although there are some that may have a limited time period attached to them. Each panel will contain a link; when you click on that link, you’ll launch another page that has the panel video embedded on it … that video will be available on the date and time listed. When it’s available, simply push play and watch! It’s that simple.

All the panels will also be available on the Comic-Con YouTube channel, so you can also access them there. Subscribe to us on YouTube.com at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Use MySCHED to Make Your Own Schedule!

While we’re not using the official Comic-Con app this year, we will once again be utilizing Sched.com! You can create your own schedule for panels and events you want to attend at Comic-Con@Home 2020 by using MySCHED (powered by SCHED).

Once the Comic-Con@Home programming schedule is posted, you can create your own MySCHED account on SCHED.com, and mark which panels you’d like to view. To make it easy for you, the ability to do this is located on each of our schedule pages. Once you mark the panels you'd like to view, MySCHED will give you a complete listing of them. Use the print option provided to print the list in any manner you choose.

You can view Sched.com via our website on the specific Program pages, plus on the Anime, Films, and Games pages. You can also log into Sched.com via your personal computer, mobile phone browser, or download the Sched app for quick access on your phone.

With MySCHED, you can share your schedule with your friends, see your favorites on your mobile devices and synch across platforms and devices as well. Send your schedule to your calendaring software and filter and search the list by types, titles, company names, artists, writers, celebrities ... you name it!

MySCHED accounts are NOT related to your Member ID!
Click here to create a MySCHED account now!
New to SCHED? Not sure how this works?

Click the above link for the Video Intro and the MySCHED Features and Help Guide

Posted on Jul 7, 2020

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
I agree live panels would be more exciting. There's just something you can feel about them. It makes even the glitches and screw-ups more charming, somehow.

But everyone has their own feeling on that, and TBH I can't really get excited about any of this virtual programming anyway, so whatever's easiest for the panelists is probably the best way to go.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
It would be great if at least SOME of the programming was live. Perhaps if they hear early feedback on this they may do more  live.  I will watch some panels, either way. Hmm...I wonder if they will have them up for a specific period of time and then take them down. Hmmmm  ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2020, 01:13:09 PM »
I think one big problem with live panels is timings for those who are not based in the US. So a scheduled live panel on late afternoon PST, would be early hours GMT.

Just thinking how a live panel could go down the pan if all participants have bad Internet and it keeps dropping out. At least with a pre-record it can be edited to look like no problems.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
I think one big problem with live panels is timings for those who are not based in the US. So a scheduled live panel on late afternoon PST, would be early hours GMT.

Just thinking how a live panel could go down the pan if all participants have bad Internet and it keeps dropping out. At least with a pre-record it can be edited to look like no problems.

True. It can also be edited so that no one says anything the studio doesn't like. :/ 
Live panels could be left up for 24 hours or something, so that the time-zone disadvantaged (or people with work or childcare obligations) could watch at a better time for them.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »
I'm sort of ambivalent towards this approach. There are pros and cons. I do agree with the statement that it'll be just like watching any other youtube video.

Pro: We get panels! Yay!!! 
They will run smoothly as any technical issues would have been worked out in production. They will be edited and likely have a little more professional feel to them.

Con: See above. Sometimes the most special things about live panels are the technical issues, unedited slips (or language) and other unexpected moments that will likely be missing. There's also the feeling of being part of a shared experience with hundreds or thousands of others. It's not going to feel the same.

Pro: I can build a schedule on my own time that allows to me to watch the panels I'm interested in seeing.

Con: See above. You ever park yourself in Hall H or Ballroom 20 for a day mostly to get a good seat and wait for a panel that comes on later in the afternoon. At first, you groan over the prospect of putting up with uninteresting panels. And then comes that one panel you otherwise probably wouldn't have seen and it actually sounds interesting. The cast seems cool. You decide to give it a try and suddenly you have another must see show. Probably going to happen much less this year.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »
I can't complain about this approach either. To me, the gap between a real SDCC and a virtual live SDCC is about a million times bigger than the gap between a virtual live SDCC and a virtual pre-recorded SDCC...so after the huge disappointment of them having to cancel, I just can't really bring myself to feel any further disappointment about whether or not anything they can salvage lives up to my expectations.

If pre-recording works better for SDCC and its panelists for a free event with 300-400 panels, that's ok with me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:53:17 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »

For people that can't watch a live panel live, they can stream it later.  Youtube streams aren't watch it now or miss it.  Streams are available for viewing later.  Doing them live is the best of both worlds.  That is unless CCI is going to show the streams once and then delete them.  If that's the case, recorded or live then it's a problem for people that can't watch it at the time it's available.

I'm not sure how much editing there will be.  Even pre-covid, shows like Conan were pretty much broadcast as they happened in studio.  Now, shows like Ready Room don't look very post edited polished.  It just looks like a capture of the stream as it happened.  I still wonder why they don't send out better cameras to the talent at home.  It's one thing if it is a spur of the moment thing,  It's another when it's a planned show.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2020, 07:12:35 PM »