Author Topic: Panel Speculation for 2019  (Read 32824 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Panel Speculation for 2019
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last D23 year (2017) Marvel was there. They brought Ragnarok and Black Panther cast. It's always about what they got to show. If they have stuff, doesnt matter what else is going on event wise, they will bring it. Fiege has been pretty adamant about his love for SDCC and commitment to bringing presentations if they have stuff to show.
We'll see: AFAIK ALL of Marvel's concrete release plans (that have been publicly announced) end with the new Spidey movie dropping May 2019.  They have a May 1, 2020 release date blocked off, which likely means whatever that is (I suspect it was supposed to to be GotG vol. 3) it should be in pre-production right now, ready to start shooting winter/early spring 2019.  Meaning, I would expect Marvel to be able to at least A) announce the film (if they haven't already by then) and B) maybe even have footage. 
There's also an untitled Marvel release November 2020, which likely would've just started shooting close to Comic-Con: w/another SDCCI before that I wouldn't expect much except maybe concept drawings or title card at best (similar to what Marvel brought for CAPTAIN MARVEL in 2017).

That bad thing, potentially, is this year SDCCI is BEFORE D23 Convention.  In 2017, with D23 before SDCCI Marvel could make their huge splash at their own Disney event and then 're-run' stuff at Comic-Con (though IIRC for the most part that Comic-Con panel had a lot more stuff than the D23 panel, which focused more on INFINITY WAR/Avengers cast IIRC).  I could maybe see Marvel holding back for D23 so there's a big hype for the Disney panel.  Hopefully I'm wrong  :-X

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
Am I a terrible person for actually hoping that Marvel doesn't do Hall H again in 2019? It was so nice last year to be able to get into Hall H on any day without an overnight lineup.

*hides from rocks about to be thrown in my direction*

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:06:05 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »
Am I a terrible person for actually hoping that Marvel doesn't do Hall H again in 2019? It was so nice last year to be able to get into Hall H on any day without an overnight lineup.

*hides from rocks about to be thrown in my direction*
1. I like the Marvel panels a lot.  I've been to every single one except the famous Loki panel (including back when they showed concept art of The Mandarin for IRON MAN.  Marvel always brings an AMAZING panel, and the last time they came to Hall H they brought The Ravagers in full makeup/costume AND an off-the-hook laser light show for DR. STRANGE.  In past years Marvel has brought a fully edited scene from a film that was just a few days into their shooting schedule (CAPTAIN AMERICA), and they always bring what the crowd wants.  Marvel hasn't announced their post-ENDGAME slate of films (beyond FAR FROM HOME, obviously) and SDCCI could be the perfect place to announce Marvel's next big (potentially HUGE game-changing) direction.

2. That all being said, Comic-Con was a blast last year w/out Marvel.  The line-up was EZ-PZ for Hall H all days & my time was a lot more freed-up w/out Marvel Saturday.  My 19 year (20 this year) Comic-Con existence has taught nothing of not "roll with the punches: make your own fun!"  Marvel would be great, but I'll have fun w/out Marvel too.  I'm OK either way

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 07:21:49 AM »
Agree please no Marvel, walk in Hall H was great.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
I still think they need to move the DCTV panels to Hall H. They've outgrown Ballroom 20.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
I still think they need to move the DCTV panels to Hall H. They've outgrown Ballroom 20.

I absolutely loved when they did Hall H on late Saturday nights, and combined them all into one 3 hour panel.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
I absolutely loved when they did Hall H on late Saturday nights, and combined them all into one 3 hour panel.
That was awesome, albeit a marathon!  They used to give away cool swag at that event too, IIRC

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
I'm kind of really hoping for another Quentin Tarantino panel for ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.  His panels have always been a blast, and with the film opening in August it seems plausible.  He had a special screening of INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (actual spelling) at Comic-Con the summer that came out, so maybe we can get a panel + screening.  BASTERDS & DJANGO certainly seemed to have very favorable BO after SDCCI panels; HATEFUL EIGHT, maybe not so much.  The highest grossing film so far for QT is DJANGO UNCHAINED, had a HEAVY presence at Comic-Con.  There was a panel, and an AWESOME setup/booth in the Petco Park parking lot across the street where they set up an 'old west' town that gave out different t-shirts every day, posters, and free blu-rays of old westerns that QT thought would get audiences hyped for DJANGO.

Would be cool if they did something similar for HOLLYWOOD

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
1. I like the Marvel panels a lot.  I've been to every single one except the famous Loki panel (including back when they showed concept art of The Mandarin for IRON MAN.  Marvel always brings an AMAZING panel, and the last time they came to Hall H they brought The Ravagers in full makeup/costume AND an off-the-hook laser light show for DR. STRANGE.  In past years Marvel has brought a fully edited scene from a film that was just a few days into their shooting schedule (CAPTAIN AMERICA), and they always bring what the crowd wants.  Marvel hasn't announced their post-ENDGAME slate of films (beyond FAR FROM HOME, obviously) and SDCCI could be the perfect place to announce Marvel's next big (potentially HUGE game-changing) direction.

2. That all being said, Comic-Con was a blast last year w/out Marvel.  The line-up was EZ-PZ for Hall H all days & my time was a lot more freed-up w/out Marvel Saturday.  My 19 year (20 this year) Comic-Con existence has taught nothing of not "roll with the punches: make your own fun!"  Marvel would be great, but I'll have fun w/out Marvel too.  I'm OK either way

I'm on the fence with this one as well.  While Marvel is probably my biggest fandom and I have LOVED the 2 Hall H Marvel Panels I've been to it did free up quite a bit of time for me this year with them not coming.  I still did Hall H on Sat, just had to put in way less effort to do so.  For me I think the big factor is I have some friends and family coming with me for the first time this year and would love for them to get that Marvel experience.  But if not its like you said have to be able to roll with the punches.  WB always comes out of the gate so strong Sat morning and does an amazing job.

100% down for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood panel.  With that cast it would AMAZING!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
I'm on the fence with this one as well.  While Marvel is probably my biggest fandom and I have LOVED the 2 Hall H Marvel Panels I've been to it did free up quite a bit of time for me this year with them not coming.  I still did Hall H on Sat, just had to put in way less effort to do so.  For me I think the big factor is I have some friends and family coming with me for the first time this year and would love for them to get that Marvel experience.  But if not its like you said have to be able to roll with the punches.  WB always comes out of the gate so strong Sat morning and does an amazing job.

100% down for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood panel.  With that cast it would AMAZING!!
The OCD part of my brain loves the synergy of beginning the day with WB/DC and ending the day with Marvel.  W/out Marvel it feels like the planets are all out of alignment or something  :P :P

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
I echo the conflicting sentiment about Marvel.  The one Marvel panel I made it into was extra special because it was on my 30th birthday, so the whole day felt magical from beginning to end (I was deliriously tired and grimy from camping out but I got to see Benedict Cumberbatch with my own eyes and it was amazing).  But it was nice not having to spend so much time for it.

That said, I still did Hall H for Legion.  But I only have a couple of hours wait to do it (it was walk in, but I wanted up close) so it wasn't that bad.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
Rick and Morty is always a staple, I imagine that this summer they'll be back with some new material to show -

and on that note - I think the convention would really benefit from moving the Friday Indigo animation block to Ballroom 20. Rick & Morty will draw a crowd, Bob's Burgers is always packed, Archer is a lock - and I remember looking outside my window at the Bayfront to seeing a line already snaked around the outside at about 6am for the final Steven Universe panel that morning. The turnover rate for that room on Friday morning is so low at the Indigo, moving it to Ballroom 20 will at least give save a few people from baking in the sun.

Netflix, sans Marvel - will still have a lot to bring. Hoping to see a Sabrina panel - really surprised with how much I loved that show!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
Since Stranger Things is coming out July 4th I'm gonna assume they won't be there.  :(

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
Since Stranger Things is coming out July 4th I'm gonna assume they won't be there.  :(
Yeah, that seems plausible.  Was it just last year with the panel w/Patton Oswalt moderating, or was that two years ago?  That was SUCH a great panel (really, Patton should be the full-time Hall H moderator IMO)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
Yeah, that seems plausible.  Was it just last year with the panel w/Patton Oswalt moderating, or was that two years ago?  That was SUCH a great panel (really, Patton should be the full-time Hall H moderator IMO)

I *think* that was two years ago?  I could be mistaken.