Author Topic: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021  (Read 44598 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Re: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2021, 12:23:26 AM »
I don’t see myself being in any crowded space at this time.  I’m also not buying tickets to see Hamilton for that same reason.  Too risky.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don’t see myself being in any crowded space at this time.  I’m also not buying tickets to see Hamilton for that same reason.  Too risky.

I'm with you.  It's still 3 months away.  Anything can happen.  Yesterday's new case report in San Diego was good.  A third of the recent high.  I'm hoping that it turns into a trend.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:24:09 AM »

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
And here we go.

Everyone attending Comic-Con Special Edition will be required to wear an approved face covering regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings should completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snugly against the sides of the face, and not have any gaps.

And

Everyone will be required to provide verification of full vaccination status or proof of a negative Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours of each day of attending the event to enter Comic-Con Special Edition.

Also.

Please note: these policies apply to all attendee groups, including but not limited to exhibitors, guests, staff, press, professionals, volunteers, and cosplayers.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2021, 05:53:02 PM »
I'm going.  I'm getting sick of putting my life on hold because of ignorant fools.

THERE IS A VACCINE.  IT IS SAFE.  THIS PANDEMIC SHOULD BE BEHIND US NOW.

Next year would have been my 40th straight San Diego Comic Con.  I went to my first one in 1982.  Well, it would have been if not for you know what.

I've had enough of this.  I want to get out and start living again. 

I will feel comfortable in there if everyone is vaccinated and we're masked. 

I'm going.  I hope I see you guys in there.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
Everyone attending Comic-Con Special Edition will be required to wear an approved face covering regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings should completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snugly against the sides of the face, and not have any gaps.
1. I LOVE all of these rules; it's always great to see organizations like CCI taking EVERYONE'S safety seriously.  I also know this will will some exhibitors and comic pros decide to come (there were several I follow on Twitter who have made it clear they will not participate in ANY Cons that don't have fairly strict safety precautions).
2. It's amusing to me that they have to explicitly state what constitutes "approved face coverings," given the popularity of cosplaying at these event.  I suspect at, say, San Diego Fall Home Show next weekend they don't have to worry about someone wearing an Iron Man suit and saying it's a perfectly acceptable "mask" to wear  :P

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2021, 07:55:49 PM »
The problem is, many cosplays now won't be permitted. The person who worked hard on that Iron Man costume and wants to wear it cannot wear the headpiece at the con, even if they have a face mask underneath. This has been a thorn in my side, but I have seen/experienced this at other cons as well.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2021, 10:03:29 PM »
I don't honestly think I am putting my life on hold, I just think I am using my head.  I have actually made a lot of new friends during covid, joined new groups, and someday we will all be at SDCC together.

The vaccine does not equal cure, my aunt is currently fully vaccinated and quarantined with the new variant.  Unfortunately, people refused the vaccination and it's not behind us.  But on to the mini-event.

Logically, it's just not worth the money if you are not local.  Anyone filming will not be able to attend due to Covid protocols, most of my SDCC friends are not attending, many studios and vendors are already skipping all conventions, and vendors had no advance notice to plan exclusive (plus could not get them in time). 

I want to see everyone, I am just choosing to do it at a time that is safer and kinder to my wallet.  Now if someone wants to pay for my airfare and hotel I will think about reconsidering. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2021, 10:05:21 PM »
I don't understand why masks are required if you're only allowing vaccinated individuals or those that test negative within 72 hours.

Just my opinion.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2021, 10:34:47 PM »
I don't understand why masks are required if you're only allowing vaccinated individuals or those that test negative within 72 hours.

Just my opinion.

Well it may or may not show symptoms but you can still get the virus while vaccinated and pass it on to others. Vaccine helps with reducing chances of infection but doesn't completely prevent it 100% of the time. If we did the lockdowns correctly and everyone got the vaccine the first time around when it was immediately available this Delta variant wouldn't have been as much of a issue as it is now if at all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:40:27 PM by Car_Low »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 11:52:45 AM »
The problem is, many cosplays now won't be permitted. The person who worked hard on that Iron Man costume and wants to wear it cannot wear the headpiece at the con, even if they have a face mask underneath. This has been a thorn in my side, but I have seen/experienced this at other cons as well.

They can still be Iron Man, just be creative.  Combine this with a skull cap and some face paint.  I think people would appreciate the effort.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 12:07:07 PM »

Just my opinion.

Because when you are fully vaccinated you have some immunity, you are not immune.  You can still catch and spread covid.  Dropping masking for the fully vaccinated was the big unforced error that the CDC made this year.  Even though other countries with an even higher vaccination level than us had already experienced large numbers of breakthrough infections, the CDC decided we should follow them and prematurely drop precautions.  As expected, we also followed them and had another surge in covid.

The thing that doesn't make sense for me is the negative test within 72 hours.  That may have made sense BD, but now that's meaningless.  Since someone with delta becomes contagious in a couple of days, about 3 days before they show symptoms.  That's one of the reasons it spreads so fast.  It's not only more contagious, it's contagious earlier.  A negative test within 72 hours doesn't reassure me at all.  72 hours is enough time to be exposed, become infected and to become contagious.  All after testing negative.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »
These are the same requirements as NYCC.  These are the same requirements that Creation had at its Trek Vegas convention.  I believe vaccination or 72 hour test is also the requirement at DragonCon (the 72 hours is probably based on the turnaround time for a PCR test si 6 hours for an antigen test).  And all of these cons are requiring masks.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2021, 01:14:35 PM »
These are the same requirements as NYCC.  These are the same requirements that Creation had at its Trek Vegas convention.  Vaccination or 72 hour test is also the requirement at DragonCon and ECCC (the 72 hours is probably based on the turnaround time for a PCR test since some places specify 72 hours for PCR or 6 hours for an antigen test).  And all of these cons are requiring masks as well.  What people are expressing surprise at is actually pretty standard for large cons going forward this year, depending on state law prohibitions.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2021, 06:18:06 PM »
And now we know how much it's going to cost to get into Comic-Con Special Edition:

Quote from: comic-con.org
Because Comic-Con was unable to take place in person the last two years, we are giving individuals that purchased badges for Comic-Con 2020 three options:

Transfer your badge to Comic-Con 2022,
    Request a refund for your Comic-Con 2020 badge purchase, or
    Transfer your badge credit to Comic-Con Special Edition.

And:

Quote from: comic-con.org
1. The cost to attend Comic-Con Special Edition is $150. You may not transfer your Comic-Con 2020 badge purchase if the total amount of your badge order was less than $150.
    2. You may not do a “partial” badge transfer to Comic-Con Special Edition. If you choose to transfer your purchase, your entire Comic-Con 2020 badge order will be cancelled and you will be refunded the difference.
    3. If you choose to transfer your Comic-Con 2020 badge purchase to Comic-Con Special Edition, you will not be able to attend Comic-Con in 2022. Your badge order will be cancelled and the difference will be refunded.

150 is not bad at all.  I'll just buy a badge.  They should be plentiful, I think.  I can't see this show selling out right away.  I don't think a transfer will be necessary.

I hope it happens.  It sounds like fun.  Just like comic-con was back in the 80's and 90's.  You can get there right as the show starts, park your car right at the convention center, eat a nice leisurely breakfast and enjoy the exhibit hall dealer's room with out getting crashed into by out of control cosplayers.

Can't wait.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 06:29:42 PM »
I am hoping that people see sense and hold onto their 2022 badges… I would hate to think that it will be tough to get CCSE badges because many of them were taken by transfers.