Author Topic: CCI 2015 Guide to getting a Downtown Hotel Room (Travel Planners Hotel Lottery)  (Read 91101 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's clearly the scariest part of that response.

That was my immediate thought as well. At this point I'm laughing b/c it seems pointless to cry over their incompetence.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
I just spoke with TP and asked about the bad form and receiving the email to resubmit the hotel list. Was told that they did send those emails to people but then stopped as the result was higher than they expected. Told the recp emails will be received within 48 hrs from the sale, I said 48 hrs is to long to wait after what happened to so many people. I did, after accidentally hitting the return because I could not get the hotel list to accept my hotels, reload the link and received the good form. By then it was like 3mins into the sale and I know I had a late submission.

A drink last night and another tonight until I get the recap email. Thank goodness Arrow is on tonight! 

I've been saying that the SDCC hotel lottery is the reason why anti-anxiety meds were invented...though I was thinking the same thing of alcohol, so I'm glad to see your train of thought in that last sentence reveals that I'm not the only one  ;D

Nevertheless, this is still utterly horrifying...
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
I don't think we can really believe anything anyone says from travel planners at this point. I just don't think they actually know anything and are just saying whatever they feel like saying.  Nothing we can really do but wait and see how this all works out in a few days.

This. All the reps at TP seem to be telling conflicting stories. When I called, I told them that the page wouldn't load properly, and that I submitted 2 requests without Hotel selections because it wouldn't allow me to do anything aside from put in my name, address and email. She told me that I would receive an email for each submission, but I haven't received anything or heard a peep from them.

Offline SoCalNerdGal

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 125
Technical question - is anyone able to explain or have other insight toward the answer?

I've read a lot that second form submission cancels the first form submission.  What is that based on?  For example, is it insta-cancelling based on emails?  Same names?  IP address?  Some sort of tracking in the link?

I'm concerned because on my same link, I had a timestamp for me of 9:03'ish, for the bf at 9:05'ish, and then, I put through for my dad and sister (different hotels, different names) at 9:11'ish.

If the system is auto-cancelling, I'm just not sure what criteria it is using to drop that first time stamp.  Should I call Travel Planners or wait it out?  Are our first submissions recoverable in this case?

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
Technical question - is anyone able to explain or have other insight toward the answer?

I've read a lot that second form submission cancels the first form submission.  What is that based on?  For example, is it insta-cancelling based on emails?  Same names?  IP address?  Some sort of tracking in the link? If the system is auto-cancelling, I'm just not sure what criteria it is using to drop that first time stamp.  Should I call Travel Planners or wait it out?  Are our first submissions recoverable in this case?

I doubt it would be due to the IP Address. For Badge Sale, CCI said they don't filter based on IP due to the fact that it would affect a lot of people registering from a University/College connections. So while this is a different company running it, I would imagine the same consideration applies.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572

I've read a lot that second form submission cancels the first form submission.  What is that based on?  For example, is it insta-cancelling based on emails?  Same names?  IP address?  Some sort of tracking in the link?

I'm concerned because on my same link, I had a timestamp for me of 9:03'ish, for the bf at 9:05'ish, and then, I put through for my dad and sister (different hotels, different names) at 9:11'ish.

If the system is auto-cancelling, I'm just not sure what criteria it is using to drop that first time stamp.  Should I call Travel Planners or wait it out?  Are our first submissions recoverable in this case?

I had some of the same concerns and called TP yesterday.  They key off of email address.  So if your email addresses are different, you're good.  If they're the same, she wasn't certain, but said there could be an issue.

Offline darthmaul1309

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
Starting to get concerned cuz I have not gotten ANY email of any kind yet.  The process was relatively smooth for me. Only hiccup for me, as well as everyone, was the slow loading...after that I got it submitted pretty quick.  This was my first attempt at hotel hell so I don't know how long it usually takes to get a confirmation email, but I would have thought I would have gotten the first email by now...im probably just paranoid.....

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
with them saying they cut off the Hotel Resubmitting emails, because too many people were resubmitting hotel preferences (must have been an automated email that sent out to anyone missing hotel preferences, and they didn't realize how many people that was), im concerned that the number of early, incomplete forms submitted, is in the thousands.

/FULLOFDREAD!!

They took down the re-submitting form also from what i can tell. So much for 5PM EDT.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
Starting to get concerned cuz I have not gotten ANY email of any kind yet.  The process was relatively smooth for me. Only hiccup for me, as well as everyone, was the slow loading...after that I got it submitted pretty quick.  This was my first attempt at hotel hell so I don't know how long it usually takes to get a confirmation email, but I would have thought I would have gotten the first email by now...im probably just paranoid.....

I haven't gotten any emails yet either. I think if your form was okay and you submitted with no problems except slow load-times, you should not have received an email yet. I think. Nothing is for sure this year, but that seems to be how it's working (by a VERY loose definition of "working").

In a normal year, like last year, you would have received an email confirming you r successful submission and recapping your hotel choices sometime yesterday afternoon/evening. But I don't think anyone at all has received those yet.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572

You're not the only one paranoid.  I called TP and got an automated message saying if you submitted a form yesterday to expect an email by 3/26...tomorrow.  I know we're all worried, but I wouldn't panic unless I started hearing that everyone else was getting an email and I didn't.  Even then, give it a couple of hours.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
with them saying they cut off the Hotel Resubmitting emails, because too many people were resubmitting hotel preferences (must have been an automated email that sent out to anyone missing hotel preferences, and they didn't realize how many people that was), im concerned that the number of early, incomplete forms submitted, is in the thousands.

/FULLOFDREAD!!

They took down the re-submitting form also from what i can tell. So much for 5PM EDT.

Wow. Just wow. I love (by which I mean hate) how they really stick to their own policies. You know, how you can really trust the information they're giving out. Ugh.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
I was stressing so badly about this that I had to decide to take a different approach. I'll be the guy camped out in the Hall H line all week. Stop by and visit. I'll have a fully stocked bar. Bring your own martini glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spoox

• Exhibit Hall
  • Alaska, The Real Hoth!
  • Liked: 27
Double shot of jager for me please! :)

Offline bothanspy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 24
This may or may not add to the confusion but it made me feel a little better . I spoke to travel planners . My situation was I got a bad form , the system automatically submitted , I went back in and submitted a good form . I received two confirmation pages . Travel planner says that I did not receive a correction email last night because my requests were merged and they got my hotel information from the second form . After the merge, they will be taking the timestamp from the first submission . He actually sounded like he knew what I was talking about and seemed pretty authoritative .
 At this point, I am just going to have to stop worrying about this for the next 24 hours . Whatever happens happens . I have a flight and a badge . I'm sure I'll find a place to stay . It may not be what I wanted but I will still get to enjoy the con and have a good time . Hope this helps someone who's in a similar situation to me .

Offline diomedes

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
This may or may not add to the confusion but it made me feel a little better . I spoke to travel planners . My situation was I got a bad form , the system automatically submitted , I went back in and submitted a good form . I received two confirmation pages . Travel planner says that I did not receive a correction email last night because my requests were merged and they got my hotel information from the second form . After the merge, they will be taking the timestamp from the first submission . He actually sounded like he knew what I was talking about and seemed pretty authoritative .
 At this point, I am just going to have to stop worrying about this for the next 24 hours . Whatever happens happens . I have a flight and a badge . I'm sure I'll find a place to stay . It may not be what I wanted but I will still get to enjoy the con and have a good time . Hope this helps someone who's in a similar situation to me .
how fast was your first submission?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:23:45 PM by diomedes »