Author Topic: The Hidden Gems of the San Diego Comic-Con 2015 Schedule  (Read 5340 times)

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
The Hidden Gems of the San Diego Comic-Con 2015 Schedule
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »
SDCC 2015: The Hidden Gems of the San Diego Comic-Con Schedule

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

On Sunday 28th June 2015, we held our weekly Talkin’ Comic-Con: A Cup O’ Tea with… Google+ Hangout, in which myself (Leonard Sultana), Alyssa Franks (Friends Of CCI Forum), Kimberly Walton (The Nerd Element) and John Bieniek (N3rd Link) tore apart the schedules for this years San Diego Comic-Con.

One thing you can’t say about this years listings is, you’re not stuck for things to see — it really is an embarrassment of riches this year, even with a number of notable studio absences. And anther thing that stands out: there are plenty of smaller panels to draw your attention if you want to step away from the flashy headliners of the Con. As we looked down the list, we also found one or two Hidden Gems which you might have missed and think you might find interesting — check this little lot out…

ALYSSA FRANKS’ HIDDEN GEMS

NOBILITY: THESE AREN’T THE HEROES YOU’RE LOOKING FOR (The Neil Morgan Auditorium, San Diego Public Library)
Friday 10th July, 2015 10:30am — 11:30am

The new Sci-Fi “dramedy” series Nobility, dubbed “Firely meets The Office,” stars Walter Koenig (Star Trek TOS, Babylon 5), Doug Jones (Falling Skies, Pan’s Labyrinth), Christopher Judge (Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis), Torri Higginson (Stargate Atlantis), Cas Anvar (Assassin’s Creed, Expanse), Adrienne Wilkinson (Xena: Warrior Princess, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Darren Jacobs (Starship: Rising), Miracle Laurie (Dollhouse), Ellen Dubin (Lexx, Napoleon Dynamite), Neil Kaplan (Transformers: Robots in Disguise, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty), Vic Mignogna (Star Trek Continues, Fullmetal Alchemist), and James Kyson (Heroes). Some of the all-star cast will host a Q&A along with director Neil Johnson (Starship: Rising), art director Tiki Al Zequeira (Star Trek DS9, Serenity), composer Charles-Henri Avelange (Starship Rising), and series creator E.J. De la Pena (Jingle All the Way, Run Ronnie Run). Attendees will be captivated by the antics of the misfit crew of the Starship Nobility as they debut exciting, never-before-seen footage for this action-packed new series.

“Given the line-up of the people on this panel, this sounds really fun. And, off the back of this panel, I may try and find out where the Public Library is! Get out of my comfort zone of the Convention Center!”

BABBLE ON WITH THE CAST OF BABYLON 5 (Horton Grand Theatre)
Saturday 11th July 2015 2:00pm — 3:00pm

Celebrating their 20 years of Sci-fi TV history, castmates Bruce Boxleitner (Sheridan), Claudia Christian (Ivanova), Mira Furlan (Delenn), Peter Jurasik (Londo), Bill Mumy (Lennier), Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi), Stephen Furst (Vir), Patricia Tallman (Lyta), Robin Atkin Downes (Byron), and some surprise guests from the Hugo award-winning series Babylon 5 talk about their time on the show and what’s happening now.

“…yes, I did just run through the panellists by their character names — it’s how I know them! If you enjoyed the show from years ago, this will be a fun retrospective.”

TECHNOLOGY AS A COSTUME TOOL (Room 23ABC)
Friday 10th July, 2015 1:00pm — 2:00pm

The Costume Designers Guild Local 892 members Timothy Wonsik (department head of costumes and archives at Marvel Studios), Soyon An (Jem and the Holograms), Christian Cordella (Jurassic World), Alan Villanueva (Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 & 2), Jared Marantz (Batman v Superman), Oksana Nedavniaya (Suicide Squad) IATSE 705 Custom Made Field Rep Renee Nault and specialty key costumer Karen Mason (Batman v Superman) discuss how costume designers and illustrator/concept artists work together to utilize technology in the creation of costumes for film and television. Joe Kucharski, editor of Tyranny of Style will be moderating.

“That one sounds interesting if you’re into your cosplaying and want to add some fun details into your next costume.”

KIMBERLY WALTON’S HIDDEN GEMS

WRATH OF CON (Room 14A)
Thursday 9th July, 2015 10:00am — 11:00am

Passionate about writing and comic conventions? Merge your passions together to create an online resource that informs and empowers fandom. Experienced bloggers gather to share how they started out, best practices, common pitfalls, biggest obstacles, and the core values that drive their sites. Tony B Kim (Crazy 4 Comic Con), Megan Gotch (The Nerdy Girlie), Leonard Sultana (An Englishman In San Diego), and Alyssa Franks (Friends Of CCI) offer advice that will benefit both veteran creators and those beginning to write about their passion for comic cons.

“…which cupboard have they put this panel in??”

CLASS OF 1985: THE GREATEST GEEK MOVIES OF…, OR, DON’T FORGET ABOUT US (Room 5AB)
Thursday 9th July, 2015 2:00pm — 3:00pm

Moderator Mark A. Altman (Free Enterprise, Agent X) and panelists discuss the great geek year of 1985, as they go back to the future with such films as, well, Back to the Future, Lifeforce, The Breakfast Club, The Goonies, Clue, Legend, Rocky IV, Brazil, Commando, Weird Science, Silverado, Fletch, A View to a Kill, Cocoon, Witness, Return to Oz, Re-Animator, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Fright Night, Real Genius, Subway, After Hours, Ladyhawke, Enemy Mine and, yes, Robert Burnett, just for you: To Live & Die In L.A. And for good measure, they’ll discover a new type of martial arts,Gymkata, and prove to Virginia there really is a Santa Claus: The Movie. Enrolling in this brunch club are Scott Mantz (Access Hollywood), Robert Meyer Burnett (Free Enterprise), Steve Melching (Star Wars Rebels), Ashley E. Miller (Thor, X: Men: First Class), gymkataspert Steve Kriozere (NCIS, Agent X), Charles de Lauzirkia (Crave, Alien Anthology), and David E. Williams (Femme Fatales, Lifeforce: The Space Vampires). Charge it to the Underhills!

“I’ve only just started watching these films — I’m not old enough to have watched them back in the day! With The Breakfast Club, I was late to the party! With so many great movies on discussion, I just hope I can make it to this panel.”

THE NERD IN THE CLASSROOM: SCI-FI AS AN EDUCATIONAL TOOL (Shiley Special Events, San Diego Public Library)
Thursday 9th July, 2015 4:00pm — 5:00pm

Education’s all-things-nerd networking resource returns to Comic-Con. This year’s edition features cartoonist and high school computer science teacher Gene Yang (American Born Chinese, Boxers and Saints), language-arts teacher Blake Bockholt (Fremont High), and psychologist Patrick O’Connor (Comicspedia, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology). Moderating is Patrick Murphy (Fremont High, Weber State University). Topics include using comics to convey complex information, student-created comics as a narrative, and aligning to national standards while still increasing student engagement. This is a great networking opportunity for professional educators and nerds alike.

“I’m work in education so I’m excited to see a panel like this. I do work in a high school and keeping that age group engaged can be… trying at times!”

INDUSTRIAL LIGHT AND MAGIC, 40TH ANNIVERSARY (Room 7AB)
Friday 10th July, 2015 2:00pm — 3:00pm

For forty years, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most memorable images in the history of modern cinema. From advances in the photo chemical process, optical compositing, motion control, and models and miniatures to the company’s pioneering efforts in computer graphics, digital compositing, film scanning and recording, morphing, digital environments, performance capture, character animation, and modern digital pipelines, ILM continues to break new ground in visual effects for film, television, themed attractions, and new forms of entertainment. The presenters will discuss the company’s work from its earliest days and breakthroughs along the way.

“I am such a big ILM fan, the pioneers of visual effects and I think it’ll be really interesting as they go over the last forty years.”

JOHN BLENIEK’S HIDDEN GEMS

KUNG FURY: THE BEST FILM OF ALL-TIME (Room 6BCF)
Friday 10th July, 2015 7:00pm — 8:00pm

The team behind viral sensation Kung Fury discuss the record-breaking and critically acclaimed journey, from Kickstarter to Cannes to Comic-Con. Director David Sandberg is joined on stage by the “True Survivor” David Hasselhoff (Hoff 9000), and cast members Jorma Taccone (Hitler), Eleni Young (Barbarianna), Leopold Nilsson (Hacker Man), Andreas Cahling (Thor), as well as Seth Grahame-Smith (producer of the upcoming feature) and moderator Drew McWeeny.

“If you’ve not seen this movie, go to YouTube, search out this 30min gem — a cop action movie, supposedly set in the 80’s. There’s time travel, there’s dinosaurs… there’s David Hasselhoff!”

SCOTT C AND THE GREAT SHOWDOWNS: SUPER HAPPY HOLLYWOOD (Room 6BCF)
Friday 10th July, 2015 2:00pm — 3:00pm

Artist Scott C (Hug Machine, Psyconauts) celebrates the exclusive early release of Great Showdowns: The Revenge. He’ll be taking some of the most famous and fantastic dueling faces in movie history and sprinkle them with his special Great Showdowns magic. Join Scott and moderator Andrew Sumner for a fast-paced, action-packed panel. Gasp in wonder at Scott’s super limited-edition mask giveaways, and revel in your chance to be drawn by Scott C himself.

“I’m a fan of comics art and artists; if you’ve not heard of Scott C, Google him- check out his work, this sounds like a cool panel to see.”

CARTOON NETWORK’S CLARENCE AND FRIEND PAJAMA PARTY (Room 7AB)
Friday 10th July, 2015 8:00pm — 9:00pm

Clarence throws the best parties, and you’re invited! Join Spencer Rothbell (head of story and voice of Clarence) for awesome episodes of your favorite Cartoon Network shows and super cool pwizes! But hey, hey, guess what, there’s more! Clarence invited his new friends Grizz, Panda, and Ice Bear, and they’re going to show an episode of their brand new show We Bare Bears for everyone to see for the very first time! How cool is that!? So put on your favorite pajamas and maaayyyybe you’ll get a swing at the myyystewy piñata!

LEONARD SULTANA’S HIDDEN GEMS

DECONNICK AND FRACTION: MILKFED CRIMINAL MASTERMINDS @ WORK (Room 2)
Friday 10th July, 2015 7:00pm — 8:00pm

Lauren Sankovitch (Milkfed managing editor, former Marvel editor) pulls back the curtain on life at Milkfed, what a comic book editor does exactly, and which are truly the best donuts in Portland. Expect utter nonsense, a Q&A, and a parade of special guests who may drop in. Or not. Guess you’ll have to be there to find out!

NOTE: MATT FRACTION has had to CANCEL his appearance at Comic-Con this year so please be aware that some special guests may show up to pick up the slack!

“While the panel is going to be about the comics end of what Milkfed do, I would hope there’s going to be some discussion about where the imprint is going to go, in bringing independent created comics to the screen.”

SCIENCE CHANNEL: RAIDERS, RAPTORS AND REBELS — BEHIND THE MAGIC OF ILM (Room 28DE)
Thursday 9th July, 2015 1:00pm — 2:00pm

Fans will get to see exclusive clips and receive unprecedented access behind the scenes at Industrial Light and Magic, as science and creativity give birth to some of today’s top films. The secrets behind Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and many more will be revealed during this once-in-a-lifetime panel. Join Science Channel as they celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Industrial Light and Magic at this year’s Comic-Con like no one else can. Surprise guests and exclusive footage along with a very special prize will be given away at this VIP experience where the science behind the movies is unveiled for the first time ever.

“This will be an excellent opportunity to celebrate the work of ILM if you you find yourself busy on Friday and can’t make it to the 40th Anniversary panel [listed above].”

WILL EISNER: CHAMPION OF THE GRAPHIC NOVEL (Room 28DE)
Friday 10th July, 2015 11:00am — 12:00pm

A breakthrough in the development of the graphic novel, Will Eisner’s A Contract with God was not the first, was not the bestselling, and came before the days of awards, but it is still in print and affecting the explosive growth of comics’ most vibrant format. Join us and learn why he’s Will Eisner, champion of the graphic novel, at a panel moderated by Eisner Award-winner andNew York Times bestselling author, Paul Levitz (Will Eisner: Champion of the Graphic Novel), and with panelists Denis Kitchen (The Best of Comix Book, The Art of Harvey Kurtzman), Jeff Smith (RASL, Bone), Sergio Aragonés (Groo, MAD), and Danny Fingeroth (The Stan Lee Universe, Superman on the Couch).

“Will Eisner is being celebrated heavily this year, what with this being the anniversary of The Spirit; he is engrained into every fibre of what Comic-Con is all about. The wealth of talent on stage for this panel is breathtaking!”
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."