Author Topic: Don't just look around the convention center.  (Read 7440 times)

Offline chris100185

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Don't just look around the convention center.
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
I know it's tempting to stay as close to the convention center as possible. But that can get expensive. Don't forget that San Diego has a trolley system that covers a fairly wide area and runs about every 15-30 minutes, and a 4 day pass can be gotten for $20. Check hotels further down the line and while it may take you a bit longer to get there, you could be saving a couple of hundred a night that could be put towards getting more cool stuff at the con. I'm staying near the El Cajon station. It may take about 50 minutes to get to the convention center, but I'm spending less than half the average rates of places near the convention center.

Offline Rogue Devlin

• Sails Pavilion
Re: Don't just look around the convention center.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
After some basic searches to get to "know" the prices of rooms in the area (and even as far as Chula Vista) I opted to book through the early bird. I'm assuming that the closer hotels to the convention will be more expensive and since these ones have the shuttle service it doesn't seem half bad. I plan to arrive on Wednesday and since I have  Thursday badge, picking it in the same hotel I booked is another plus.

Even if the out of San Diego hotels are cheaper, I decided to factor in the cost of time. I'd rather arrive to the Convention Center in 20-30min than arrive an hour later, just to have to wait in a longer line to save 50 bucks in the price of the room. Since this is my first time going I don't have much grounds to make decisions...so lets hope for the best XD

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:58:42 PM »

Offline Erick

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
Lemme help you guys out a little from trolley experiences
I usually only take the blue line from Beyer station to downtown, rarely do I use the orange line and never green line so I won't say anything there

Beyer trolley station to 12th and Imperial (convention center) about 40 mins time and Beyer station is all the way on the far side of the track
Anything closer than that and just subtract aprox. 3 mins
Any station higher than H street and you get there in less 30 mins
The stations from Old Town to 12th and Imperial take even less time because they're closer together
Though the hotels will probably be more expensive than down south

Convention center opens at 8:30... I think
You can wake up at 7 and make it just fine to comic con

Go to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for bus and trolley schedules

Hope this helps somebody

Offline Erick

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
Forgot to say it's a 5 mins walk from 12th and Imperial to the convention center

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lemme help you guys out a little from trolley experiences
I usually only take the blue line from Beyer station to downtown, rarely do I use the orange line and never green line so I won't say anything there

Beyer trolley station to 12th and Imperial (convention center) about 40 mins time and Beyer station is all the way on the far side of the track
Anything closer than that and just subtract aprox. 3 mins
Any station higher than H street and you get there in less 30 mins
The stations from Old Town to 12th and Imperial take even less time because they're closer together
Though the hotels will probably be more expensive than down south

Convention center opens at 8:30... I think
You can wake up at 7 and make it just fine to comic con

Go to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for bus and trolley schedules

Hope this helps somebody
To add to your post, here's the actual link to the trolley timetables in a PDF: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's the website link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you're close to any of the "Red Line" stops for the trolley (see map in a previous post in this thread or on the two links above), take advantage of that to get to Comic-Con!  It specifically drops you off in front of the convention center.
^-^d
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:53:51 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline cliffd64

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
Lots of reasonable hotels exist on the southern end of the blue line, most within 20 minutes of the convention center...  The trick is to find a hotel within walking distance to the trolley. 

In years past, we have stayed at various hotels along E street in Chula Vista...  There are several clustered within a quarter mile of the station there. 

This year we are staying at the Best Western Marina Gateway which is near the 24th Street stop (National City).  It is about a 1/4 mile from the trolley station with a free shuttle to the station.  Practically new hotel (2 years old I think) but totally non-smoking property (if that is a concern to you).  Rates here WERE competitive (ie better) to CCI hotels on the list,  not sure how they stack now as we get close.