Author Topic: What are my chances of getting a decent hotel/place to stay in May?  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Myke

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Provided I miss out on tomorrows sale, I don't think I can afford to pay for a hotel upfront until Mid-May, what are my chances of getting a reasonably close hotel?

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
Re: What are my chances of getting a decent hotel/place to stay in May?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:16:28 AM »
depends on what you mean by reasonably close and how much you want to spend. Seems highly unlikely that any hotel within walking distance will have much availability. You may be able to get supply on some of the more expensive rooms that aren't on the con rate.

BUT you might be able to get a hotel on a shuttle route, if you consider that close. Particularly at Hotel Circle. There are probably a lot of folks like me who are holding reservations at hotels farther out now, but will cancel them in April if they get a hotel close in. That should mean some availability in May.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:43:41 AM »
you know, i seem to remember a bunch of 'room/condo mate'  posts on the FB page last year closer to the con.

in other words, Trust that they're gonna be a bunch of other people in the same situation either with/without a rm...... you may not end up at a close hotel but you should be able to find a spot.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
I got a great room in May last year... but it involved a lot of luck. Here's what happened.

You know how there are badge resales? Well there are hotel room resales too. The difference is, these resales aren't advertised. They are resales of hotel rooms that people either didn't book when they were first offered, or had to cancel. The first deadline is May 4 (for a full refund). A couple of days after that, CCI will quietly put the refunded rooms up for resale. IIRC from last year, it wasn't even announced on the CCI hotel page.

So how do you find out about this? Well last year I participated in the hotel lottery and wasn't assigned anything. My friend was assigned a Mission Valley room we didn't want/didn't book. So both of us were on an email list that was sent out informing everyone that there were resale hotel rooms.

I happened to be on my email at the time the message came in and immediately went to book. All of the downtown hotels were there, at the cheap Con rates! Now don't ask me how many rooms there were for each one, but all of the hotels had some rooms that had been refunded.

So my advice, if you want a resale hotel room, is to participate in the sale tomorrow, but don't book anything. Then make sure you are constantly checking your email from May 5 on.

HTH!

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:00:10 AM »
your other option will be to see who might need a roommate because a friend flaked out on them plus odds are good that someone is bound to cancel their reservations by the 5/4 deadline. 
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Myke

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »
Cheers for the tips guys.
Although since I'm coming from England I think it might be a better idea to have my own hotel reservation rather than trust a stranger if you know what I mean. Not like I can just nip home if something goes wrong!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:54:06 AM »
have you joined Leonards UK group on the facebook page?
if not send a pm to ukdeejay asking him abt how they're dealing with housing.  Or at least you might be able to hook up with someone from your part of the world & go in on a rm together.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Myke

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
Yeah I'm already in the group cheers, though there's nobody looking for room shares at the minute.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »
if you get a rm, you can be picky abt who you allow to room with you.
that's why i've always done that even in college- nothings worse then interviewing for a roommate slot....