Author Topic: Silo AppleTV+ series  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Silo AppleTV+ series
« on: May 21, 2023, 05:50:07 PM »
I'm really enjoying this series.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Silo AppleTV+ series
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 05:58:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Me too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:32:01 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:15:32 AM »
Same; I didn't know anything about the book/novella series before, but after watching the first ep. I got a graphic novel version (partially because I wanted to know "so...can I latch onto/root for _this_ character or are they destined to go out for a cleaning next episode too?!  :tongue: ).  Part of my ADHD/OCD = hyper-focus, so I dug right in, interested about where the story goes.  The graphic novel, at least, has a lot of interesting stuff in it: I don't know how much of the books are covered, story wise, in the graphic novel I read.  That being said, there is a TON of room for the series to further develop characters, backstory, expanding on current situation(s), etc. in the series so, unlike say "Snowpiercer," this doesn't feel like a series that has a finite storyline (it _could_, but I think it could run for quite sometime with good story ideas).

Also, after reading the graphic novel, I can say that Tim Robbins as the head of IT is kind of inspired casting: and I really dig Rebecca Ferguson as well as Jules.  Ferguson is awesome in the Mission: Impossible movies, as well as DUNE part 1, and I'm happy to see her headlining this type of series (REALLY good character for her).
I'm of course excited to see where this is going, and hope it's popular enough to stick around for awhile

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 06:33:22 PM »
I haven't seen the series yet. I read all of the books a few years ago and quite enjoyed them. Next time I have a free code for Apple TV+, I plan to watch.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 08:55:12 PM »
I like it.  I think it would make a great offsite if Apple decides to do one this year.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 03:46:38 PM »
I like it.  I think it would make a great offsite if Apple decides to do one this year.

I've read the graphic novel version of the book(s?) but I'll say that 1) I did notice when that happened and 2) I'm not so sure this series has established what "the truth" is yet, though I think they've dropped some subtle hints, perhaps...

**of course, no telling how this series will match w/the books so my thought of what exactly IS "the truth" based on the graphic novel could indeed not match "the truth" of the series...

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 11:06:01 AM »
Next time I have a free code for Apple TV+, I plan to watch.

I noticed today that Best Buy still offers 3 month trial codes.  I'm on my third one.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 03:04:50 PM »
I noticed today that Best Buy still offers 3 month trial codes.  I'm on my third one.

Good to know, thank you!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 09:34:44 AM »
Same; I didn't know anything about the book/novella series before, but after watching the first ep. I got a graphic novel version (partially because I wanted to know "so...can I latch onto/root for _this_ character or are they destined to go out for a cleaning next episode too?!  :tongue: ).  Part of my ADHD/OCD = hyper-focus, so I dug right in, interested about where the story goes.  The graphic novel, at least, has a lot of interesting stuff in it: I don't know how much of the books are covered, story wise, in the graphic novel I read.  That being said, there is a TON of room for the series to further develop characters, backstory, expanding on current situation(s), etc. in the series so, unlike say "Snowpiercer," this doesn't feel like a series that has a finite storyline (it _could_, but I think it could run for quite sometime with good story ideas).

Also, after reading the graphic novel, I can say that Tim Robbins as the head of IT is kind of inspired casting: and I really dig Rebecca Ferguson as well as Jules.  Ferguson is awesome in the Mission: Impossible movies, as well as DUNE part 1, and I'm happy to see her headlining this type of series (REALLY good character for her).
I'm of course excited to see where this is going, and hope it's popular enough to stick around for awhile

It kind of feels like this show is going a bit slowly, after what felt like a lightening-fast first couple of episodes.  They're obviously setting up characters (and saving-ish budget at times), which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it feels there is A LOT to be explored and the creatives are reeeeeaaalllly taking their time getting to the meat of the series.  I hope they don't bog down the season with relatively inconsequential storylines (like murder mysteries at this time); "The Last of Us" has maybe spoiled me with its incredibly economic and brisk storytelling that felt rare at the time - Silo is reminding me those thoughts were warranted (though "Succession" also felt fairly economic this season, with
and the bulk of this final season happening over the span of a week or so).

We'll see at the end of the season how the pacing ends up being.  I think one BIG question is the one 'heavy' of Judicial, the African-American dude w/the goatee played by Common, has an really cool leather jacket.  How the hell did they manufacture that in this dystopian underground environment?!  Surely they're not slaughtering cattle just for someone to have a kickass looking leather jacket when they're intimidating (or murdering) folks, right?  It looks far too nice to be a synthetic.

Anyway, those are my pedantic thoughts today  :w000t:

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 10:34:41 AM »
I think one BIG question is the one 'heavy' of Judicial, the African-American dude w/the goatee played by Common, has an really cool leather jacket.  How the hell did they manufacture that in this dystopian underground environment?!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 03:29:52 PM »

I was thinking the same thing and that

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »
Just started watching this. It seems very familiar, but the acting is good. Two things stood out to me. The music sounds just like "Westworld". Second, why the hell don't they have an elevator? Even a simple pully and rope system would be better then climbing a hundred stories. :smilie_confused_dontknow:

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 09:53:15 AM »
Second, why the hell don't they have an elevator? Even a simple pully and rope system would be better then climbing a hundred stories. :smilie_confused_dontknow:

Keep watching.  It's explained on the show.

I was thinking the same thing and that

This is a spoiler for this week's episode.  So if you haven't watched it, don't peak.