Author Topic: Dragon*Con 2014  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
  • My Twitter - @kbachelder
    • DragonConNewbies.org
  • Liked: 28
Re: Dragon*Con 2014
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Welcome Kevin!!! , you found out where I've been hiding  :o

No one can ever accuse either of us of hiding.  At least not when it comes to social media and forums.   8)

Kevin
New to the awesomeness that is Dragon Con?

Tuning In To Scifi TV podcast (covering all genre TV shows)

Tales Of The Black Badge - A Wynonna Earp fan podcast

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
I just found out that James Gunn will be at Dragon Con! I didn't think it was possible to be more excited about going, but I am now! Way cool!
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:54:16 AM »

Offline Kay

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »

Dear Customer,
We recently sent out an email with our DragonCon Booth information.  Our booth numbers have changed.  We will be at tables 15i - 17i in the Dealer's Room at the Atlanta Convention Ceter at AmericasMart.  We're sorry for any confusion.

Upcoming Conventions

Come Visit Us at GenCon
Indianapolis, IN
Dates: August 14 - 17, 2014
Booth # 663
Booth Events
Drawing for Free Jewelry
Signing with Jim Butcher, author of The Dresden Files©
Thursday, August 14, 2pm (Free ticket required)

DragonCon
Atlanta, GA
Dates: Aug. 29 - Sept. 1, 2014
Booth # 15i - 17i
(Dealer's Room at the Atlanta Convention Center at AmericasMart)

Just something one of the exhibitors that go to SDCC sent about DragonCon... they have very awesome replica jewelry from books and movies.  I usually buy something from them every year.

Dear Die-ary,
I went to the SDCC talk-back panel today...

Offline mightymoose

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
So, I don't see anything for Dragon Con 2014 so I'm starting this.

My wife just surprised me today and said we are going this year!! So, how is it? I went to SDCC 2012, how does DC compare? I'm pretty pumped, might even cosplay. Woot!

What are the "can't miss" events? Do you have awesome DC stories? I need to know more :)

Dragoncon is unlike any other con that I have been to. 
Where as SDCC is geared towards merch and showcasing upcoming tv shows/movies, Dragoncon is pretty much a cosplay and party con (that's how I like to explain it to other people).
During the day the big action is mostly found in the Marriott lobby with all the various cosplays that you can see shown and then at night it's pretty much a party in cosplay.  They do have a vendor hall but it is a bit away and I kinda feel like that it's just there. like it is not a major have to visit part of the con if that makes sense.

Def check out the parade! you will have to get up early in order to get a good spot to see everything as everyone (con goers and non) line up alone the route to see the parade.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »

Registration will open on Thursday at 10AM and all other convention days at
8AM. Here's a handy diagram to briefly detail the registration flow and please
remember to bring your blue postcard to shorten the waiting time for everyone.

However, if you have not received your blue postcard, DON'T PANIC!

We know that our wonderful USPS has a voracious appetite for all things postcards. Merely bring your ID, join the blue line, we will look you up in the system and get your badge to you.

Pre-Paid Badge pick up hours are:
Thursday 10am - 10pm
Friday 8am - 10pm
Saturday 8am - 10pm
Sunday 8am - 10pm
Monday 8am - 5pm

Registration hours are:
Thursday 4pm - 10pm
Friday 8am - 10pm
Saturday 8am - 10pm
Sunday 8am - 10pm
Monday 8am - 5pm

via: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
Hey all! DragonCon newb here  ;D

I've got over 20 (yes, 20) years of SDCC under my belt and was thinking it was time to branch out. I did check out this site first before I posted: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but I was hoping for a Cliff Notes version of what DragonCon is and what it is all about. I see a lot of people mention it's more bout the "parties" .... but are these studio sponsored parties? Private fan parties? Open group parties? What's the deal exactly?

Also, if I don't dress up will I feel out of place? I've got a couple costumes on tap, but they're not incredibly elaborate.

Again, I'm sure I can get most of the info I need from their website, but nothing really compares to a true fan experience. I'd love to hear anything you guys can offer up about the show.

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
    • DragonConNewbies.org
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »
Hey all! DragonCon newb here  ;D

I've got over 20 (yes, 20) years of SDCC under my belt and was thinking it was time to branch out. I did check out this site first before I posted: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but I was hoping for a Cliff Notes version of what DragonCon is and what it is all about.

I'm the guy who runs the Dragon Con Newbies Facebook group and the DragonConNewbies.org website and I'll be glad to answer any of your questions.   :)

I've never been to SDCC although I would love to get that at some point when the budget allows.  I do have several good friends who attend so my comments are based on their feedback and my having gone to Dragon Con for the past 10 years.

Dragon Con is fan run so there are no corporate events or parties.  It's more about the fans than it is about the celebs or the studios.  There are hundreds of hours of fan panels, parties, concerts, etc.  Events are held in the five official hotels, not a convention center, and they begin at 10am and run until well past midnight.  Some of the concerts and parties will easily run until 3am or later.  There are almost 40 different programming tracks (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) so it's a bit like having 40 different conventions all going on at the same time.

I'd suggest listening to the brief (10 minute) audio introduction that I created last summer.  It will give you a basic idea about the culture of the event.  You can find it here...

I see a lot of people mention it's more bout the "parties" .... but are these studio sponsored parties? Private fan parties? Open group parties? What's the deal exactly?

There are parties that are put on by the different programming tracks and also parties put on by individuals and groups.  Some are private but most are events open to con attendees.  Your con badge (referred to officially as your membership) will give you access to these events.

Some of the popular parties are the Avengers Ball put on by the Whedon Universe track.  The Yule Ball, A Night In Bree and many more.  You can find a listing of many of these events here...

Also, if I don't dress up will I feel out of place? I've got a couple costumes on tap, but they're not incredibly elaborate.

While a large portion of the attendees do cosplay not everyone does.  You won't be out of place if you're just in jeans and a tee shirt or if you have a basic costume.  The Dragon Con community is VERY welcoming and open.

This video gives you just a small sample of the awesome cosplay that went on last year.  This is actually the short version.  There's also a 20+ minute version as well.

Again, I'm sure I can get most of the info I need from their website, but nothing really compares to a true fan experience. I'd love to hear anything you guys can offer up about the show.

The great thing about Dragon Con is that you get to basically program your own con.  You can go to see the 400+ celebrity guests, you can go to fan discussion panels, you can go to just people watch with some of the best cosplay anywhere in the world, you can go for the parties.  It's up to you.  Do some or all of these things.  The hardest part will be picking what you want to do!  :)

Feel free to ask any questions.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:48:29 PM by Kevin Bachelder »

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
This is awesome!! Thank you so much for taking the time out to describe it to me exactly in the detail I needed. Looking at the programming track, I can see several events that really interest me. Are there line to get into the events like at Comic-Con? Or can you pretty much walk into the majority of them?

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
They clear the rooms after each event, so no waiting in lines for hours  ^-^
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
    • DragonConNewbies.org
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
This is awesome!! Thank you so much for taking the time out to describe it to me exactly in the detail I needed.

My pleasure.  Glad to help out.

The first time I went to Dragon Con back in 2005 I went by myself and I only casually knew a couple of other people who were going to be there.  As soon as I walked in I knew I had found "my people".  I was amazed at how open and welcoming the community was.  There were many people who helped me out with suggestions, directions and advice that was very helpful.  I didn't know any of these people but they made a big impact on my con experience so I'm just paying it forward.

I literally spend 51 and a half weeks looking forward to the con.  I now speak on 10-15 fan panels and help out with the newbie events because it is so much freaking fun.  It's like Christmas morning for geeks and it lasts for four days and nights.

Are there line to get into the events like at Comic-Con? Or can you pretty much walk into the majority of them?

As Jim mentioned the large rooms where the celeb Q&As are held are cleared after each event.  Also, officially, you are not allowed to line up for a panel more than 60 minutes in advance.  Now of occasion I have seen folks milling around 90 minutes ahead of time but the con security folks will often break it up.  Most of the celebs will do Q&A panels 2, 3 or even 4 times during the weekend so you will get multiple chances to see them.

There is a free Dragon Con 2014 smartphone app for iPhone and Android that is a big help.  There is also a Pocket Guide (about 125 pages) with the full con schedule, maps and other helpful information that comes out about 7-10 days before con.  You can download it as a PDF from the con website.  You'll also get a copy of this when you pickup your membership (aka your badge).

Feel free to keep the questions coming...

Kevin

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
    • DragonConNewbies.org
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
Are there line to get into the events like at Comic-Con? Or can you pretty much walk into the majority of them?

It's been very rare that I haven't been able to get into a celeb Q&A panel even if I get in line only 15-30 minutes before hand.  Most of the rooms that they use will seat 1,500 - 2,000 people and they have large video screens and good sound systems so even if you're in the back third of the room you can get see and hear pretty well.

Kevin

Offline theresamather

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
I won't be there in person, but my artwork will be there for sale in the art show. :)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
Here are my photos. I took a bunch, but tried to be selective in what I posted.

I got some pictures of the awesome Groot cosplay I have been following on Facebook. One photo was super blurry, but I posted it anyway-was too good not to (other than being blurry...)
Ang

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
    • DragonConNewbies.org
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
Here are my photos. I took a bunch, but tried to be selective in what I posted.

I got some pictures of the awesome Groot cosplay I have been following on Facebook. One photo was super blurry, but I posted it anyway-was too good not to (other than being blurry...)

Thanks for sharing those!

I'm usually so busy speaking on panels and helping out that I don't get to take too many photos.  I like to checkout other people's photos.  :)

Here are some of the ones that I have from this year. Many of them are ones folks shared with me from the events I was on.  A few costumes and some from the Lost Girl panels...

Kevin