Author Topic: Phoenix Comicon - June 2-5, 2016  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
Re: Phoenix Comicon - June 2-5, 2016
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
Right now parking is 20 in lots across the street.  Gets as low as 5 if u go down past Jefferson

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »
Will you be needing oven mittens in order to handle that steering wheel later this afternoon? What the temperature today?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:50:07 PM »

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Will you be needing oven mittens in order to handle that steering wheel later this afternoon? What the temperature today?
Ha! Getting in my car will be like putting my entire body in an oven. 115 today!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

[member=2173]Louie_rob_m[/member] Don't use the Loot Crate Gauntlet one, that's a recall no no!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline nerdftw

• Ballroom 20
  • "Eleven's the best; you'll cry your eyes out"
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
Hey all, I won a ticket to Supernatural Con in Phx. My brother is in the hospital, so I'm not going. Does anyone want the ticket? I thought someone was going to take it today, but they never showed (two days of the ticket gone to waste!) anyone want it? I know it's not PhxCC, but thought it may be the easiest place to find someone local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oswin: Is there a word for total screaming genius that sounds modest and a tiny bit sexy?

The Doctor: Doctor. You call me the Doctor.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
Hey all, I won a ticket to Supernatural Con in Phx. My brother is in the hospital, so I'm not going. Does anyone want the ticket? I thought someone was going to take it today, but they never showed (two days of the ticket gone to waste!) anyone want it? I know it's not PhxCC, but thought it may be the easiest place to find someone local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't have been able to go. Sorry to hear about your brother, hope he is okay.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 01:37:51 PM »
PHXCC record attendance numbers, and u could feel it in the crowds. Interesting points on his comparisons to sdcc...

Hi all,

The record summer temperatures during Phoenix Comicon brought record attendance. For the first time we will be reporting our numbers in two ways: Unique and Daily Attendance.

The first is our UNIQUE attendance count, which we have always reported.  This is the number of people who attended during the entirety of our show, with each person counting once.  Thus someone who purchased a full event badge is counted as one.    This unique number counts all persons including paid and complimentary attendance, exhibitors, guests, volunteers, panelists, professionals, media, along with our sidekick and children attendance.  It does not count any Convention Center staff, personnel, security, police, or EMTs who are hired to support the show. 

The second number we are reporting is our DAILY ATTENDANCE count, which determines how many people are attending each specific day, and then adds those numbers together.   This is typically the number the Phoenix Convention Center reports, and is also the number reported by most other pop culture conventions across the country.  Our methodology to arrive at this number is to count the number of single day passes sold and provided complimentary.  We then utilize a percentage of full event passes sold and provided complimentary that attend each day.  This percentage derives from two years of attendee survey data "I purchased or utilized the following badge type" and "I attended the following days of con".  The percentage for each day is consistent over two years of survey data, and the average of two years is applied to the number of full event passes paid or provided complimentary to arrive at the count that attended each day.   Our daily attendance count also includes exhibitors, guests, volunteers, and media counted in full for each day and panelists, professionals, sidekick and children attendance counted using the percentage method.   

Determine daily attendance counts is notoriously difficult for any facility or event such as ours that allows flow in and out traffic.  It's simply a tool and guideline and should only be treated as such.   
We're providing both numbers to offer more transparency within this industry.   We have found over the years that many shows report numbers without any further background provided as to their methodology of counting, and well, we like specific numbers and knowing the methods used to count attendance.   

Comparisons will be made to San Diego Comic Con (or other shows) with our attendance numbers.  We are not as large as San Diego Comic Con nor will we ever be.  The San Diego Convention Center is larger than the Phoenix Convention Center, and the San Diego downtown area has more hotel rooms than does the Phoenix downtown area which allows them to host more attendees.

To the best of our knowledge the attendance reported for San Diego Comic Con of 140,000 is daily attendance.  As they sell only single day passes I would put their unique attendance considerably higher, possibly in the 300,000 to 400,000 range.  It is unknown if their attendance count is solely attendees or counts other groups such as exhibitors or volunteers as well.   That SDCC handles the attendance they do every year with very little incident confirms for me that they really are the gold standard of pop culture conventions.

We are happy to report that 2016 featured record attendance at Phoenix Comicon with a Unique attendance of 106,096 and a daily attendance total of 216,219.

Matt Solberg
Convention Director

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
Wow, I love the transparency!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »
Great attendance, and I really appreciate the breakdown of all the information.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
Yeah he is pretty detailed and honest in his communications

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk