Author Topic: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move  (Read 59103 times)

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
Re: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
I was trolling the CCI WonderCon site at:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and it has been updated with new info including an explanation of why they didn't return to Moscone for 2013. 

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2012, 08:09:11 AM »
I was trolling the CCI WonderCon site at:

and it has been updated with new info including an explanation of why they didn't return to Moscone for 2013.

As many of you are aware, it has been our hope to return to San Francisco for WonderCon 2013.

We have been waiting for information on the availability of the Moscone Center and were just officially offered dates, though they were for the fall.

However, those dates coincide with another very large city wide event, and this has resulted in some unavoidable conflicts. Among them hotel room blocks we explored near, and not so near, the Moscone Center started at $300 per night.

This, along with the expected difficulty of exhibitors and attendees in securing airfare for those outside of driving distance of San Francisco for that weekend, has resulted in us not being able to secure San Francisco as a location for WonderCon in 2013.

However, because we knew there was a possibility of not being able to return to San Francisco, we have scheduled WonderCon: Anaheim to be held March 29-31, 2013. Hopefully we will be able to return WonderCon to San Francisco sometime soon.

Strange message. Doesn't seem entirely consistent with what they've said before.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 05:13:32 AM »

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
I wonder what the "very large city wide event" could possibly be?  Anyone from the area care to speculate?

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
I wonder what the "very large city wide event" could possibly be?  Anyone from the area care to speculate?

Hard to say without knowing exactly what week was offered. Seems like neither side made much of an effort for the other. City not being accomodating and CCI not being flexible.

Offline TheTFReview

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
People are going to hate me for saying this, but I like WonderCon in Anaheim. I sort of hope it stays.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
This sounds to me like they're just making excuses. Before they said that WonderCon didn't sell much in the way of hotel rooms. And $300... that's NOTHING compared to what Comic Con rooms sell for.

I'm starting to wonder if this is more CCI's fault (and less Moscone's fault) than they have been trying to make out.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »
This sounds to me like they're just making excuses. Before they said that WonderCon didn't sell much in the way of hotel rooms. And $300... that's NOTHING compared to what Comic Con rooms sell for.

I'm starting to wonder if this is more CCI's fault (and less Moscone's fault) than they have been trying to make out.

Part of the problem w/ the hotel pricing was that they couldn't prove to the city that X amount of folks were staying at the hotels so they couldn't negotiate better rates. I remember reading that there were questions as to how much tourism WonderCon actually brings and it not being something that they could truly measure.  I think w/ SDCC, it was much, much more obvious.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »

Folsom Street Fair?  :-X

(That was a complete guess, BTW.)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »
As many of you are aware, it has been our hope to return to San Francisco for WonderCon 2013.

Hopefully we will be able to return WonderCon to San Francisco sometime soon.

I wonder if they expect anyone to buy it this time.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
Folsom Street Fair?  :-X

(That was a complete guess, BTW.)

I had to google that one...Are you serious or just mocking me?  I thought CCI was looking for something in October.

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
I wonder if they expect anyone to buy it this time.

It doesn't sound that hopeful to me.  They don't even say for 2014 but rather just "sometime soon".

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
I had to google that one...Are you serious or just mocking me?  I thought CCI was looking for something in October.

Lol, I definitely wasn't mocking you.  I was being a bit silly but the FSF honestly is a massive event in the fall that people fly in for from the globe.  In fact I think it's SF biggest street fair every year.  As I was saying it's a complete guess but I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:52:43 PM by hikanteki »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »
There's a facebook group where people have discussed the emails they have received from Moscone Center and CCI.  The group is called "Bring WonderCon home, Moscone Center!"  If you can't find it, let me know & I'll PM you a link (same goes for anyone else who is interested.)

Here is an email in question:
I got the following email from the Director of Sales at Moscone about WonderCon:

Hi Ollie, I am responding to your email regarding Wondercon…Let me open by saying we love Wondercon and want them in San Francisco just as much as their fans want them. Maybe even more. We do not have space or dates for them…we have tried every year to fit them in and we try hard. The downside is they have a specific date range and now they have grown so much they need event more space…So they are limited in what is available.

I just want you to know we are working with them the very best we can to accommodate them…I hope this explains it a little bit but this is the story…

I can't fathom reading this and thinking that this implies Moscone is trying to bend over backwards for CCI, but CCI are willfully looking to snub San Francisco.  I see phrases like
We do not have space or dates for them
and read that as Moscone does not have space or dates for CCI.  How in the world is that CCI's fault?!
Then there's
The downside is they have a specific date range and now they have grown so much they need event more space

I read that as CCI, for whatever logistical reasons, have a window of weekends they need to hold the convention but Moscone can't accommodate CCI with the amount of space CCI needs on the specific dates CCI needs.  Again, how is that CCI's fault?  If I need a tractor trailer truck to move the contents of a house on Nov. 11 or 12, and a moving company says they can give me a small box truck on Nov. 22, that does me absolutely no good.  If/when i would turn down said moving company, that is not my fault that the moving company can't accommodate.  To be fair, I wouldn't necessarily say the moving company is at fault either: we would be two parties who can't work together because of logistic limitations.

As someone else pointed out, given statement from both sides of this issue, either neither part is at fault (again, CCI needs specific dates & space that Moscone is unable to provide), or both parties are at fault (neither part is willing and/or unable to work together to find a compromise that works for both CCI & Moscone).  To get upset at either party likely indicates that one is thinking with emotions instead of logical analyzation of both sides of the story.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:13 PM »
Interesting comment from the WonderCon Facebook page. It's from the post on 10/31 by Michael Weavil to WonderCon and the following are a couple responses.

Clinton Wolf I'm noticing the actual logo says "WonderCon Anaheim", and WonderCon's never had a city attached to that before. That *could* mean they still hope to have another show under the WonderCon banner, the way Wizard World has "Philadelphia", "New Orleans", etc.

and response:

WonderCon @Clinton Good eye Clinton. Our hope really is to return to San Francisco sometimes soon, so we placed Anaheim in the WonderCon logo to differentiate the Anaheim show from the SF show.

Continued spin or are they serious about a North and South show?

Offline tk415650

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
Lol, I definitely wasn't mocking you.  I was being a bit silly but the FSF honestly is a massive event in the fall that people fly in for from the globe.  In fact I think it's SF biggest street fair every year.  As I was saying it's a complete guess but I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.

Pretty lame excuse by CCI - i don't know but this time their statement just don't fly.  SF is a big city and has handled multiple events at the same time.  Last month the City hosted a Major music festival, Fleet Week, MLB playoffs and NFL game all on the same day with over 4M estimated visitors into the city.

For those that love the idea of Anaheim Wonder-con...why is it you love it being in Anaheim?