Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196981 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #1125 on: March 29, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello, I am Yann and i am french :))
I have attended SDCC last year and the year before.
Last year i discovered your forum but didnt have time to register before the opem registration :/
This year i hope this time i am not too late :)

Welcome to the forums, [member=6836]frenchyann[/member]!  Glad that you could join us in our community.  ^__^/

What do you look forward to the most when you attend SDCC?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline hulksmash88

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1126 on: April 02, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
Hi everyone! I've been to going to SDCC for the last 9 years. Grew up there in SD, moved away, and now I go back every summer for CC. Favorite shows- Supernatural (excited for the new season!), Arrow, Iron Fist, X-Files (looking forward to reading Earth Children Are Weird). Always keep my Hulk hands close!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1127 on: Today at 03:10:45 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1127 on: April 12, 2017, 04:58:15 AM »
Hi everyone! I've been to going to SDCC for the last 9 years. Grew up there in SD, moved away, and now I go back every summer for CC. Favorite shows- Supernatural (excited for the new season!), Arrow, Iron Fist, X-Files (looking forward to reading Earth Children Are Weird). Always keep my Hulk hands close!

Welcome to the forums, hulksmash88!

I'm glad that you could join our community!  It's great to see newcomers as well as seasoned veterans to the convention be here with us.

Do you have a favorite moment from last year or any other year that you attended Comic-Con?  Or, alternatively, what do you look forward to seeing or doing at Comic-Con?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #1128 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Hi! I'm Lola and I'm From Mexicali, a border city about 2hrs away from SD.
Last year (2016) was my first time in SD during CC, but was just ghosting around the convention, on the offsite events and I was amazed with all the things happening around! So this year (2017) will be my first time attending SDCC and volunteering.
A little of me: I'm a Chemist who also works and study animal science. My inner geeky went "out of closet" about 10 years ago, but I've never had a chance to go to a big Con.
I came across this blog a month ago and found it super helpful! All I needed to know is somewhere here, I love it! And love how nice and quickly you guys answer all the questions!
I guess... That's all for now. I hope I'll get to know some of you during SDCC, but unfurtunatelly, all the meet ups are outside my actual travel schedule

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1129 on: April 26, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »
Hi! I'm Lola and I'm From Mexicali, a border city about 2hrs away from SD.
Last year (2016) was my first time in SD during CC, but was just ghosting around the convention, on the offsite events and I was amazed with all the things happening around! So this year (2017) will be my first time attending SDCC and volunteering.
A little of me: I'm a Chemist who also works and study animal science. My inner geeky went "out of closet" about 10 years ago, but I've never had a chance to go to a big Con.
I came across this blog a month ago and found it super helpful! All I needed to know is somewhere here, I love it! And love how nice and quickly you guys answer all the questions!
I guess... That's all for now. I hope I'll get to know some of you during SDCC, but unfurtunatelly, all the meet ups are outside my actual travel schedule

Hi there, Lola!  Welcome to the forums!  It's great to hear that this community has been so helpful to you!  Glad that you could join us here and contribute to the growing knowledge base we have.

What are you looking forward to doing or seeing at Comic-Con 2017?  What are some of your favorite series or fandoms?

As for the meet-ups, some people plan additional ones later on in the year, when it's a little bit closer to the convention.  Keep a lookout for a few more popping up, and perhaps one of them may fit in with your travel schedule. ^__~

Offline go_anna40

• Sails Pavilion
    • twitter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #1130 on: April 28, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
Hi! Thought I might introduce myself seeing as I'm a new member.  :)

I'm Anna and SDCC2017 will be my first SDCC! Only managed to get a Sunday badge, but will be there beforehand to enjoy all the offsite offerings- I figured I would take advantage of the opportunity since I'll be flying from Australia for it (don't worry, I didn't hedge all my bets on SDCC, I'm also going to see Hamilton and I'll be at D23 Expo too). I'm a big Star Wars and Marvel fan, but I follow a lot of TV shows and film directors and comic book writers/artists.

Anywho, I can't wait to experience the madness that is SDCC and I can't wait to participate on this board- it looks like a great place for tips and hints for novices like me and a helpful community!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #1131 on: April 29, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
Hi! Thought I might introduce myself seeing as I'm a new member.  :)

I'm Anna and SDCC2017 will be my first SDCC! Only managed to get a Sunday badge, but will be there beforehand to enjoy all the offsite offerings- I figured I would take advantage of the opportunity since I'll be flying from Australia for it (don't worry, I didn't hedge all my bets on SDCC, I'm also going to see Hamilton and I'll be at D23 Expo too). I'm a big Star Wars and Marvel fan, but I follow a lot of TV shows and film directors and comic book writers/artists.

Anywho, I can't wait to experience the madness that is SDCC and I can't wait to participate on this board- it looks like a great place for tips and hints for novices like me and a helpful community!
welcome to the board.  be sure to come to the meetup on tuesday. you'll meet a lot of people to hang out with during the week ;)
the meet up is causal- in front of the hilton bayfront by starbucks late afternoon
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #1132 on: April 29, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »
Hello, I'm Dennis. Joined this week after Hotelpocalypse. This year will be my 14th straight Comic-Con. So you could say I know my way around SDCC by now. I live in the Bay Area, so I used to go to Wondercon when it was up here (and I'm still angry it moved down to Anaheim, but luckily we now have Silicon Valley Comic Con, which, only in its second year, is doing a very nice job of filling that con void).

The story of my first Comic Con in 2003: I had heard of SDCC because of Wondercon, so I decided to drive down with my sister to check it out. Now, I knew nothing of SDCC, so I was expecting something along the lines of Wondercon. Boy was I wrong. I'm sure all of you can relate to first time stepping into the convention and being overwhelmed by the sheer size of it. We got there Saturday morning, and the line to buy badges went out all the way to Manchester Grand Hyatt. We stood there for an hour, with the line moving ever so slowly. But then there were volunteers going around telling people, if you sign up to volunteer right now, you can get in right now. The volunteer shift would be three hours, but you'd get a badge for free, and you'd be inside. We realized we'd be out here waiting in line for at least three more hours in the sweltering heat, so it was a no-brainer for us. And it got even better, because we had the EASIEST volunteer assignment. Every hour (so just 3x), we had to go around and post updated schedules throughout the convention floor. But the rest of the time we had free. In the end, our volunteer job took maybe 20 minutes of our time, and we got in for free and bypassed the line.

Also, I miss the days when we could buy next year's badges at Sails Pavilion. *sigh*

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1133 on: April 29, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Welcome, [member=4314]accelerate[/member] ! I always like to see more Bay Area people here! I'm from the East Bay, so we drive down to SDCC every year. I started going to SDCC first in 2008, then went to WonderCon (starting in 2009) because it was put on by the same people. I continued going to WonderCon when they moved, and they have had some good years, but this year there is no question that SVCC was better. I agree that SVCC is great, because Woz is committed to keeping it in San Jose and there is such a unique mix with the tech and science stuff all together.

I miss the days of pre-reg at the con too. I didn't even mind the year when I had to line up in the middle of the night to pre-reg at the Hyatt. But those days are long gone. Fortunately, thanks to the great friends I have made on this site, I am still able to enjoy SDCC every year to the greatest extent possible.

Hope to see you around the con in July!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #1134 on: April 29, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member]  Yeah, SVCC is definitely a must-go for me now. It's probably not as big as the biggest Wondercon got while in SF, but I really like the size it is now. You can see almost everything in just an afternoon. And yes, I agree, Woz is Silicon Valley through and through... it's definitely here to stay, as long as it's successful (and it definitely feels like it is). In just its second year, it's improved a lot. The layout is much better. Mailing out wristbands was a nice (and necessary) touch.

I remember that year of pre-reg at the Hyatt! It was 2011. We got in line at 5am or so. An hour or so later, they let us into the room, where we could sleep on the carpeted floor for another couple hours before they started. Those big TV screens showing the remaining inventory was nerve-wracking! Actually, I have a picture:

I think the higher the bar, the less inventory. I took that right when I got to the front, so I was pretty darn lucky to get Preview Night.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1135 on: April 29, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »
Yep, I remember those screens! I think we were a little closer to the front, because preview night was about half gone when we got there.

I also remember that we consciously understood that we were giving up being at the BBT panel that morning, because we couldn't line up for it. But then we walked right into the William Shatner 'Captains' panel with Avery Brooks and Scott Bakula. And we felt that the Star Trek Captains plus PN badges was a fair trade for BBT.

Offline Breq

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #1136 on: May 16, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »
Hi everyone! I went to Comic Con for five years straight, every year between 2010 and 2014, but sadly wasn’t able to go in 2015. I returned in 2016 as a volunteer, and I joined this forum while I was anxiously trying to figure out what being a volunteer was like (although I didn’t actually post at the time). It turns out that I actually really enjoyed being a volunteer, even though it adds a little more stress when you’re trying to figure out how to schedule your days. It’s fun to meet people and I got to do something different every day! And it saves money, and most importantly, I wouldn’t have gotten to go at all if I hadn’t volunteered, so it’s totally worth it. I’m excited to volunteer again this year!

I came back this year while trying to manage the stress of hotel finding, but now I’m hoping to stick around a little more because everyone seems so nice and helpful. :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1137 on: May 19, 2017, 03:25:41 AM »
A belated welcome to @go_anna40 and @accelerate!

Welcome, @Breq, to the forums! ^-^

It's always great to see new people join our community!  If you haven't already, check out the meet-up thread for forum members to meet and hang out in person during Comic-Con:

As it gets closer to the convention, more meet-ups may also pop up.  (Or, if you're interested in setting one up, go for it!)

As for the current discussion at hand:

I also volunteer for Comic-Con and have been doing so for a while now. I enjoy helping out and learning about different departments (I do wish scheduling shifts would go much faster, since in recent years, it's taken a few hours to through the line, especially in the afternoon, to get a shift for the next day).  I sometimes wish you could take more than one three-hour shift a day though...  Ha ha.  :X
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:27:42 AM by Zero »

Offline everlastingwhy

• Exhibit Hall
  • TV nerd + GIFmaker
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #1138 on: May 19, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »
Been on this forum for two or three years now but had only previously posted to sell/trade off-site tickets to stuff and only really getting active into it this year around Hotelpocalypse, etc. I'm Christine - from Brooklyn, NY, and this will be my 4th year going to the convention and third year as press - I like to plan so I've been really active in here this year so far

Offline Breq

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #1139 on: May 19, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »
A belated welcome to [member=6994]go_anna40[/member] and [member=4314]accelerate[/member]!

Welcome, [member=6184]Breq[/member], to the forums! ^-^

It's always great to see new people join our community!  If you haven't already, check out the meet-up thread for forum members to meet and hang out in person during Comic-Con:

As it gets closer to the convention, more meet-ups may also pop up.  (Or, if you're interested in setting one up, go for it!)

As for the current discussion at hand:

I also volunteer for Comic-Con and have been doing so for a while now. I enjoy helping out and learning about different departments (I do wish scheduling shifts would go much faster, since in recent years, it's taken a few hours to through the line, especially in the afternoon, to get a shift for the next day).  I sometimes wish you could take more than one three-hour shift a day though...  Ha ha.  :X

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I just wish they would just let you schedule your next shift immediately after finishing one... you're supposed to come back two hours later, but that's really inconvenient! I was sometimes allowed to schedule my next shift right away and sometimes not.