Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196771 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #510 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi!

My name is Valerie, I am 35 yrs. old and live in North Carolina.  I have been to HeroesCon the last few years, but I have never been to SDCC.   I really want to make this happen for 2014. There is so much great information on this site, so I should be prepared!

I am a fan of all things Marvel, Doctor Who, Sherlock, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and other random things.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!  :)

Welcome to the forums, Valerie!  I hope that you'll be able to go to Comic-Con this year.  Keep on the lookout for tips and tricks throughout the year in the various threads on the forums.  ^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline NerdyOldLady

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »
Gheeez......my first Con experience was SDCC in 1987 when it was held at the old convention center.  I'm a huge Robotech fan (ok.....my son's middle name is Khyron) and miss going to comic cons.  I miss being around people who are weird, fun, and know how to have fun, nerdy-type, comic-convention, sci-fi, gaming geeks because this type of crowd rocks!  I'm thinking of starting to go to cons again but not sure if this nerdy old lady is too old to fit in :P  It would be nice to get dressed up again but too old to cough up the nerve to go solo.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #512 on: Today at 05:08:14 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #512 on: September 02, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
There is no such thing as too old! As long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters!

That being said, I believe SDCC is one of the cons with the biggest age range. You get small children all the way up to grandparents attending.

Offline NerdyOldLady

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
Thanks :)  lol.  I might attend the con in Columbus or Nashville.  Not sure yet.  Having a feel for an outfit if I do go - maybe I'll dress up as bag lady ha ha ha.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #514 on: September 02, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »
Gheeez......my first Con experience was SDCC in 1987 when it was held at the old convention center.  I'm a huge Robotech fan (ok.....my son's middle name is Khyron) and miss going to comic cons.  I miss being around people who are weird, fun, and know how to have fun, nerdy-type, comic-convention, sci-fi, gaming geeks because this type of crowd rocks!  I'm thinking of starting to go to cons again but not sure if this nerdy old lady is too old to fit in :P  It would be nice to get dressed up again but too old to cough up the nerve to go solo.

That just makes me feel really OLD  ::) , I started going to SDCC back in 1977 (I was 18)  >:D
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline NerdyOldLady

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #515 on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
.....well then.  :)  Thanks for making me better - I thought I was the only one "old" in this forum.  I remember paying $80 for a 3-day pass (or something like that) and staying at the San Diego Hotel.  Saw Lupin and the Castle of Casliostro at the con and I was in heaven lol.  Guests were not famous like the SDCC now.  It's nice to see comic cons getting to be more popular. 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #516 on: September 03, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »
there's a few of us <wink>
I use this tool to find con's.... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

my next con is in Nov You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login no cosplay for me tho

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #517 on: September 03, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Nerdy!  (I'm a little lazy, so I tend to abbreviate usernames, ha ha.)

Nonsense.  As others have stated, conventions like Comic-Con are great for all ages!  I hope you'll come back and join us in the convention scene.  ^__~  There's always Comic-Con 2014 or 2015...  Plus, there will be a few forum meet-ups to see the real people behind the avatars, so you definitely won't be lonely!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline NerdyOldLady

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #518 on: September 04, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »
Thanks!  :)  Hopefully I will be able to drag my old lady butt to a con. 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: September 06, 2013, 05:15:46 AM »
see, i would never refer to myself as old- all tho i gather i am older then the majority of folks attending.

i only notice it when looking at comics - i remember when some of the older ones were first published. <ha> plus i don't really attend parties-

maybe we should have an 'experienced fan' meet up next con.
LOL 
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #520 on: September 06, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
see, i would never refer to myself as old- all tho i gather i am older then the majority of folks attending.

i only notice it when looking at comics - i remember when some of the older ones were first published. <ha> plus i don't really attend parties-

maybe we should have an 'experienced fan' meet up next con.
LOL

I think we had a good mix of ages at the Sunday night gathering at SDCC.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: September 06, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »
in addition too not instead of !!

personally, i *really* liked the meet up at the broken yoke restaurant on Wednesday morning,

Offline NerdyOldLady

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #522 on: September 06, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
I wish I was back home.  Unfortunately I live in OHIO now and was able to make the Columbus Con three years ago with an invite from a friend.  I had such a good time that night as well as getting so drunk lol.  I am not able to make the Columbus Con this year but hoping maybe the Nashville one.  Not sure yet due to work schedule lol.

Offline nvj29

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #523 on: September 20, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »
Greetings  ;),

I'm Nicole from Phila, PA and I found this forum via FB from something else I was looking at, needless to say this forum is great. 2014 SDCC will be my first time attending (hopefully) as I have began the planning process. First con I attended was Wizard World Philly 2013 and loved it. Attended the John Barrowman panel (seen other panels online) and purchased a TARDIS, couldn't have been  any happier. Even took my nephew, friend and her son which they enjoyed as well.

I had planned to attend NYCC 2013 but waited to late to get tickets. Now I'm setting my sights on SDCC 2014, Vampire Diaries Con and Supernatural Con that take place in Jersey 2014. All are marked in my calendar w/reminders. Since my sister moved to ATL, I'm going to make a plan to attend Dragon Con 2014 also. I already have cosplay ideas for SDCC, priced airfare and pre-booked two hotels, so I just need a badge. And any advice from vets of SDCC to a first timer. Sometime in my future I would love to attend Supanova in Australia and MCM Expo in the UK.
Posts, retweets, live tweets & comments of all things related to Me & My Nerd. @MeMyNerd/twitter & Tumblr

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #524 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
Welcome to the X-Men!  (See attached link.)

Feel free to ask questions and when you go to the other shows that you have mentioned, please post reviews so other members can benefit from your experiences.  :)