Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196852 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Welcome to the forums, Mel!  I'm glad you decided to join as a member of our online community.  It's always nice to have to new people add to the experience and to the plethora of information we have here.

Woo-hoo!  Another S.D. local!  (I'm an S.D. local, and every year, I thank the lords and ladies of Comic-Con International that I don't have to worry about hotel space.  Hahahahahaha!)

^__~

Thanks, Zero! We really are lucky we don't have to worry about hotel! I wouldn't be able to afford it if we did. Everything about attending I feel grateful for it....from just having a badge to not having to travel, it's all amazingly good fortune!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #616 on: February 19, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »
Thanks, Zero! We really are lucky we don't have to worry about hotel! I wouldn't be able to afford it if we did. Everything about attending I feel grateful for it....from just having a badge to not having to travel, it's all amazingly good fortune!

Right now, the only thing I need to worry about is parking.  *laughs*  @___@;;

Indeed, it is amazingly good fortune!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #617 on: Today at 02:05:24 PM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #617 on: February 19, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
I've always just taken the trolley. The special passes they have for SDCC are a cool keepsake. I have gotten on at the SDSU stop and the trains aren't packed yet so I always find a seat to chill out on the way in and it's so much fun to watch all the different people cosplaying board the train on your way!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: February 19, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
I've always just taken the trolley. The special passes they have for SDCC are a cool keepsake. I have gotten on at the SDSU stop and the trains aren't packed yet so I always find a seat to chill out on the way in and it's so much fun to watch all the different people cosplaying board the train on your way!

Oh, yeah!  I've gotten the special passes for the trolley before.  They're cool, ha ha.

I actually live rather far away from the nearest trolley station.  It takes about 1 hour minutes by bus to the closest trolley station  (two bus transfers plus waiting time for the buses to arrive), and if I stay past 8:00 pm at con, I won't be able to make it back on the bus in time to get home. >__<;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #619 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Oh, yeah!  I've gotten the special passes for the trolley before.  They're cool, ha ha.

I actually live rather far away from the nearest trolley station.  It takes about 1 hour minutes by bus to the closest trolley station  (two bus transfers plus waiting time for the buses to arrive), and if I stay past 8:00 pm at con, I won't be able to make it back on the bus in time to get home. >__<;

Where do you live? You could always drive in and park for free at Qualcomm and board the trolley there. It's still relatively early on the route. A lot of people board there. Trolley passes for all days are $20 I believe which is cheaper than parking, unless there is more than one of you then after about 3 trolley passes you are in the pricing territory of parking downtown.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #620 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
Where do you live? You could always drive in and park for free at Qualcomm and board the trolley there. It's still relatively early on the route. A lot of people board there. Trolley passes for all days are $20 I believe which is cheaper than parking, unless there is more than one of you then after about 3 trolley passes you are in the pricing territory of parking downtown.

Yes, from what I remember from previous years, the trolley passes are usually $20 for five days ($16 for four days).  In my group of friends, yes, there is more than three of us.  Plus, some of us are volunteers, so we like to get to the convention center very early and park there. *laughs*  As for where I live, I'm in the La Jolla area.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #621 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
Yes, from what I remember from previous years, the trolley passes are usually $20 for five days ($16 for four days).  In my group of friends, yes, there is more than three of us.  Plus, some of us are volunteers, so we like to get to the convention center very early and park there. *laughs*  As for where I live, I'm in the La Jolla area.

Yeah, if you are carpooling more than 3, doesn't make sense to trolley. Trolley does run pretty early. If we catch the earlier one from here, which we did last year we got to the CC a little after 5am. Not too bad! I signed up to volunteer, hoping to be able to do it pre-con since I already have a 4-Day badge.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline GallifreyGal

• Room 6BCF
  • We're having soft tacos later!
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
Hi everybody! Hi Dr. Nick!

I've been lurking for a while now, but I've finally decided to delurk. My name is Michelle, and I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. I've attended SDCC twice (2009 & 2011), and after a few years off, I'd like to try to get to SDCC 2014. And I really hope that the forum will help me with that once the general sale begins, which is the main reason I've decided to register.

My main interests are Doctor Who (note the username  :) ) Sleepy Hollow, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and just good genre TV in general. I'm also a huge comic book geek and a novice cosplayer. Nice to meet you all!
"You know how it is. You put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - The Doctor

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #623 on: February 19, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »
And I see that you're a Simpsons fan as well! Hi Michelle! I'm from the Bay Area too! There are a bunch of us around here.

If you PM Batgirl, you can join a badge buying group for general registration, which should help you out. And you should find all other kinds of helpful advice around the site!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #624 on: February 19, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »
Yeah, if you are carpooling more than 3, doesn't make sense to trolley. Trolley does run pretty early. If we catch the earlier one from here, which we did last year we got to the CC a little after 5am. Not too bad! I signed up to volunteer, hoping to be able to do it pre-con since I already have a 4-Day badge.

Yeah, I'll be volunteering this year as well.  I'm hoping to volunteer all four days. ^__^d

I've been lurking for a while now, but I've finally decided to delurk. My name is Michelle, and I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. I've attended SDCC twice (2009 & 2011), and after a few years off, I'd like to try to get to SDCC 2014. And I really hope that the forum will help me with that once the general sale begins, which is the main reason I've decided to register.

My main interests are Doctor Who (note the username  :) ) Sleepy Hollow, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and just good genre TV in general. I'm also a huge comic book geek and a novice cosplayer. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the forums, Michelle! ^__^/  (Yes, I totally noticed the username, ha ha.) 

Keeping up with the forums is definitely a good idea to get help and information on badge sales, hotels, and the like.  Start with the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login section, if you haven't already.  You can also check out the thread linked in my signature, which has a lot of good links from various parts of the forums as well.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #625 on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

Hi Michelle! Looks like you might be a Bravest Warriors fan too! Wishing you luck in the General Registration! Everything is ok!!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline GallifreyGal

• Room 6BCF
  • We're having soft tacos later!
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #626 on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »
And I see that you're a Simpsons fan as well! Hi Michelle! I'm from the Bay Area too! There are a bunch of us around here.

If you PM Batgirl, you can join a badge buying group for general registration, which should help you out. And you should find all other kinds of helpful advice around the site!

Yeah, Bay Area! I honestly really miss when Wondercon was in SF, which is one of the reasons why I'm planning on SDCC. I'd love to get in on a badge buying group. I'm going to attempt to get badges for my boyfriend and myself, so any group help would be great. Thanks for the info!

Welcome to the forums, Michelle! ^__^/  (Yes, I totally noticed the username, ha ha.) 

Keeping up with the forums is definitely a good idea to get help and information on badge sales, hotels, and the like.  Start with the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login section, if you haven't already.  You can also check out the thread linked in my signature, which has a lot of good links from various parts of the forums as well.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check out all the threads. It's a little overwhelming, but I'm willing to do the homework if it will help.  :)

Hi Michelle! Looks like you might be a Bravest Warriors fan too! Wishing you luck in the General Registration! Everything is ok!!

Yep, I love Pen Ward's stuff, Adventure Time included of course! I do enjoy Catbug's enthusiasm and positivity, despite the weirdness that goes on around him.
"You know how it is. You put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - The Doctor

Offline smiley424

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #627 on: February 20, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Phil, this will be my first SDCC ever, I am in as a volunteer but will attempt to pick up badges when the general sale happens.  I first really heard about SDCC when I was living in Ventura, CA in 2002-2003.  I currently reside on Guam out in the Pacific Ocean.   Draw a line south from Tokyo, one east from Manila, where the lines intersect you will find Guam.

I just stumbled upon this forum after I was accepted as a volunteer for this year's con and started to look up what other had to say about volunteering.  This forum has been very informative and I am glad to have found this wonderful community!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SDCC 2014
NYCC 2015
NYCC 2016
SDCC 2017
NYCC 2018
SDCC 2019
NYCC 2019
SDCC 2022
NYCC 2022

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #628 on: February 20, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
This forum has been very informative and I am glad to have found this wonderful community!

Thanks and welcome to the Island of Misfit Toys!    :o

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #629 on: February 20, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
Seeing more folks from the Bay Area puts a big ol smile on my face.  Hi all!! i'm a newbie myself and these forum folks have been uber helpful in my short time here.
Twitter feed: @mel641