Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57914 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
BBL is one of the less fun shifts, BUT I tell people if you get to do it pre-con, it's actually really nice. Since it's usually fairly quiet and calm. Being a runner can be super fun. I could suggest some shifts for everybody, but I'd probably be breaking some unwritten rules. But suffice to say there are some jobs that you wouldn't believe you could get and be doing....(in a good way.)

Is it true you get to choose the bag you want if you do the BBL shift?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #271 on: April 22, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
Last year I really liked doing BBL pre-con because I got to see all of the bags and pins, and folded Jason Momoa like a  thousand times....  :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #272 on: Today at 02:51:22 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #272 on: April 22, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »

Yes.

It's easy to do.  You just take the bag and pin you want, and put it away. 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
Yes.

I will say I wish I knew someone who worked BBL when I picked-up my bag. I never get a good bag :P Or a good pin for that matter haha.

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2019, 02:24:00 PM »
Those bags always end up torn by the end of the con, I got 4 that I don't even use lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »

Some people said they did.  I asked during my shift and they said no.  At my post-con shift they did put out a bunch of leftover bags and said we could all take one.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »
Yes.

The thing is, no one is allowed to pick their own bag.  They drill that into our heads over and over.  You hand someone a bag.  If they ask to swap to another one, you tell them you can't.  If they make a scene you call over the supervisor for that area to deal with it.  I've had people ignore the bag I offer them and then dig through the pile for the one they want.

So it's not suppose to happen.  Does it?  I've seen it.  But there's a difference between working that area as a volunteer and going through bag pickup as an attendee.  The two shouldn't mix.

Last year I saw a couple of volunteers walk off with one of each bag.  IMO, that's stealing.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:12:50 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »
The thing is, no one is allowed to pick their own bag.  They drill that into our heads over and over.  You hand someone a bag.  If they ask to swap to another one, you tell them you can't.  If they make a scene you call over the supervisor for that area to deal with it.  I've had people ignore the bag I offer them and then dig through the pile for the one they want.

So it's not suppose to happen.  Does it?  I've seen it.  But there's a difference between working that area as a volunteer and going through bag pickup as an attendee.  The two shouldn't mix.

Last year I saw a couple of volunteers walk off with one of each bag.  IMO, that's stealing.

For the record, if you saw that, I would have quickly gone to your Lead or your Volunteer Coordinator immediately.  The last couple of years due to the pins, SDCC has been running out of bags. If your bag breaks, then that's legitimate. But a volunteer should not be walking off with multiple bags.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2019, 05:45:32 PM »
Some people said they did.  I asked during my shift and they said no.  At my post-con shift they did put out a bunch of leftover bags and said we could all take one.

I guess the key is not to ask. As an attendee, you're entitled to a bag. During my shift, I would put my bag to the side, and pick it up after my shift was over. However, I only took one bag, and supervisors never gave me a problem.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2019, 10:33:17 PM »
I guess the key is not to ask. As an attendee, you're entitled to a bag. During my shift, I would put my bag to the side, and pick it up after my shift was over. However, I only took one bag, and supervisors never gave me a problem.

Chances are the supervisors/staff are cool with you picking your own bag and pin. They're also usually cool with helping other SDCC staff members out as well.

Now if you're just an attendee or a regular daily volunteer (and you're not working BBL) then they would give you a problem for asking for a specific bag. But again, if you're on your shift, and you put a specific bag aside for yourself, you're okay. You're not the first, nor last to have ever done that.

Staff members will come up asking for a specific bag, talking to the supervisor or lead will sometimes do the trick as well. Often times the daily volunteers don't know what to do and direct a staff member to the lead, and they'll get the bag they want, and that's okay also.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:35:43 PM by Jonathan »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
For the record, if you saw that, I would have quickly gone to your Lead or your Volunteer Coordinator immediately.  The last couple of years due to the pins, SDCC has been running out of bags. If your bag breaks, then that's legitimate. But a volunteer should not be walking off with multiple bags.

I wasn't sure what was going on.  It happened during the first few minutes of my first shift in that area.  At first, I thought they were getting bags to fold.  It was strange that they asked other people if they'd seen so and so bag.  But then they walked off with an armful of bags.  Even then I wasn't sure since people have posted that they were allowed to take an extra bag at the end of their shift.  That's why I asked during my shift.  It wasn't until a few minutes later that everything clicked.

Offline Javier

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
What kinds of jobs do they have volunteers do pre-con other then bags?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »
I wasn't sure what was going on.  It happened during the first few minutes of my first shift in that area.  At first, I thought they were getting bags to fold.  It was strange that they asked other people if they'd seen so and so bag.  But then they walked off with an armful of bags.  Even then I wasn't sure since people have posted that they were allowed to take an extra bag at the end of their shift.  That's why I asked during my shift.  It wasn't until a few minutes later that everything clicked.

There are two times where this is acceptable. If the volunteers were grabbing multiple bags for a certain department at SDCC. Like they were asked to bring certain bags to a staff member. That I have seen happen and is okay. (Though this is more on the side of rarely happening. Usually a staffer will come get X amount of bags, it usually is not a volunteer taking them and bringing them somewhere else) The second instance is late Sunday, and there are a gazillion extra bags leftover, which as the last two years show, that is no longer the case.

Now as for people posting about taking an extra bag, whomever was the shift supervisor or lead, they really shouldn't have authorized that (if they did.) Again, only because the bags due to the pins are at such a premium now. Prior to the pins, you could keep getting replacement bags, heck I went through 4 in one day one year. It happens. Now, with the pins, it's a much harder fight.

What kinds of jobs do they have volunteers do pre-con other then bags?

There are a multitude of jobs besides BBL. There is actual SDCC setup, line management setup, loading and offloading of boxes/pallets, and ticket ripping. These are just some of the pre-con shifts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:59:28 AM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
I have a question. Ive never volunteered before but I heard that volunteers get sent a link to purchase parking for the con. Just curious if it’s true?

Umm....I want to reply with a humongous laugh. Who told you this? I've pretty much heard it all, but this is a new one for me. No, volunteers do not get any special perks for parking. Getting the free badge IS the only perk.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
Umm....I want to reply with a humongous laugh. Who told you this? I've pretty much heard it all, but this is a new one for me. No, volunteers do not get any special perks for parking. Getting the free badge IS the only perk.

Agreed, i have tried for years to figure out a way of getting underground parking to no avail.....

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5