Author Topic: 2014 Volunteering  (Read 34648 times)

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
Re: 2014 Volunteering
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Emails just went out for pre approved volunteers feb 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's happening February 4th?

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
At last - what you’ve been waiting for! Beginning at 9:00 am Pacific Time on February 4, 2014, online volunteer registration for Comic-Con International 2014 will be open to YOU, our PREAPPROVED VOLUNTEERS (those who completed at least one assignment in 2013).

Instructions: Beginning at 9:00 am Pacific Time on February 4th, you may log into your Member ID, click on the “VOLUNTEERS” tab and you will see the link for online volunteer registration. Click on the link and follow the instructions. It’s easy! You’ll get an email confirmation at the end of the registration process.

Only those on our preapproved list will be able to see the link when they log in to their Member ID.  You will have 10 days to sign up to volunteer for 2014.  Preapproved volunteer registration will close on February 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm Pacific Time.  At a later date, we will open online volunteer registration to those on the Interest List. Once we reach our limit, we will close the volunteer program and there will be no further opportunities to register to volunteer for 2014.

Hope to see you in 2014!
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:26:03 PM »

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »

Thanks, Alyssa! You're the best.

Offline tanyahf

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 02:38:50 AM »

Hi- Long time lurker and occasional poster here  :) Two things:

Firstly advice needed please - I have chased my returning volunteer email as I didn't get one to be advised by Sue the volunteer coordinator that according to CCI records I got a volunteer badge but did not complete any assignments in 2013 so am not eligible to volunteer in the future. Now I did complete an assignment and duly collected a T shirt to prove it - no probs with my assignment that I was aware of (my supervisor said he would be happy to have me back :))so not sure what the problem is?? I have mailed a photo of my volunteer badge/ on duty sticker as "proof" - any other suggestions?

Secondly - I noticed this on the detailed info released yesterday = Volunteers are specifically mentioned and with sign up being next Tuesday (assuming I can actually sign up which looks  unlikely  :( ) I was a bit anxious about mention of volunteers . Apologies if some one else has already spotted this

"...Only those that have purchased a Comic-Con 2013 4-Day attendee or 1-Day attendee badge and have a valid Member ID and registration code will be eligible to participate in 2014 badge preregistration. Professionals, guests of professionals, exhibitors, exhibitor purchased attendee badges, volunteers, staff, and press will not be allowed to participate in badge preregistration..." 

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
Hi- Long time lurker and occasional poster here  :) Two things:

Firstly advice needed please - I have chased my returning volunteer email as I didn't get one to be advised by Sue the volunteer coordinator that according to CCI records I got a volunteer badge but did not complete any assignments in 2013 so am not eligible to volunteer in the future. Now I did complete an assignment and duly collected a T shirt to prove it - no probs with my assignment that I was aware of (my supervisor said he would be happy to have me back :))so not sure what the problem is?? I have mailed a photo of my volunteer badge/ on duty sticker as "proof" - any other suggestions?
i assume you included where you worked and hopefully the name of the person you worked for?

if i recall correctly, you couldn't have gotten the t-shirt slip unless you finished the shift.  someone else chime in if i'm wrong. i only did one shift last year so i may be mis-remembering.  Did you include a pic of the t-shirt as additional proof?

Secondly - I noticed this on the detailed info released yesterday = Volunteers are specifically mentioned and with sign up being next Tuesday (assuming I can actually sign up which looks  unlikely  :( ) I was a bit anxious about mention of volunteers . Apologies if some one else has already spotted this

"...Only those that have purchased a Comic-Con 2013 4-Day attendee or 1-Day attendee badge and have a valid Member ID and registration code will be eligible to participate in 2014 badge preregistration. Professionals, guests of professionals, exhibitors, exhibitor purchased attendee badges, volunteers, staff, and press will not be allowed to participate in badge preregistration..." 
cci isn't saying that folks who volunteered are prohibited from volunteering, they're saying that unless you have a paid badge [in addition to the volunteer badge] you can not do pre-reg. 
the easiest way of checking your status is to log onto your member id account. you won't be able to change anything but you should be able to see your status under the 'Registration tab'
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline tanyahf

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10:09 AM »

Thanks for the reply Alyssa

Yes I did include details plus photo of T shirt but unfortunately cannot remember name of the person I worked for unfortunately (it was kind of a collective !)

We've been debating the announcement in the UK group (as you can imagine!) and eventually came to the same conclusion as you but one of us has mailed CCI for confirmation just to be on the safe side !!!! :D 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:14:45 AM by tanyahf »

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 06:12:56 AM »
the simplest way of checking the latter ? is to log on to your member id!!

Offline tanyahf

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 06:17:04 AM »

Done that also and shows me as eligible for pre reg - think we are getting mighty jittery as pre reg (hopefully) looms closer. Don't want anything to throw a spanner in the works ........ ;)

Offline ormistonjames

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 03:44:41 AM »

Yeah but I think we're just worried that if we sign up for volunteering on Tuesday, that might then exempt us from pre-reg. We're still eligible for pre-reg now because we bought badges and volunteered last year.

Hopefully the volunteering mention does just mean "if you only got in through volunteering last year, you can't take part in pre-reg", but my worry is that it means "if you sign up for volunteering this year, you can't take part in pre-reg". I've emailed them to ask but 24 hours later I've had no response (and they're usually quite quick).

Online alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 04:05:48 AM »
Hopefully the volunteering mention does just mean "if you only got in through volunteering last year, you can't take part in pre-reg", but my worry is that it means "if you sign up for volunteering this year, you can't take part in pre-reg". I've emailed them to ask but 24 hours later I've had no response (and they're usually quite quick).

it has never meant that in the past. if cci did change their policy, i have to believe they would have made an announcement!  it would be a big deal for a lot of people!
a person can be both a volunteer and a paid attendee. 

Offline Felipedev

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »
I volunteer before the con starts. And buy a 4 day badge all volunteers get into preview night for free so I get to go free to preview night and I have a guaranteed way to go in case I don't manage to get tickets. Been doing it this way for over 4 years.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

A Toucan blog update and reminder for tomorrow.

Offline DianaOfThemyscira

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
Just as a point of interest, does anyone recall how long between returning volunteering and open newbie volunteer sign ups were?

Edit - I THINK open volunteer was the 7th Feb, and was open from 12-5 before filling.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:49:52 PM by xax »

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
In case anyone is wondering about whether you can be a volunteer and still eligible for Pre-Reg - after I signed up to volunteer this morning my Member ID listed me as both:

OK CCI'14 Attendee Prereg
OK CCI'14 Registered Volunteer

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
I volunteer before the con starts. And buy a 4 day badge all volunteers get into preview night for free so I get to go free to preview night and I have a guaranteed way to go in case I don't manage to get tickets. Been doing it this way for over 4 years.

What kind of volunteer work is needed before the con? Does this work allow you only access to preview night or do get like a 1 day access for each day you volunteer? Any other perks?